Matronoke's Halo Reach Armor/Security Build- [PIC HEAVY] - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matronoke

Hey everyone! I just started out here at 405th and read up on a lot of tutorials of the entire construction process. I now think I can make my own suit. Wish me luck!

Here is what the suit will hopefully look like when it is done.

Vanity_634485090059049656.png

I will now have a second helmet (Mark V) added to the build.
Vanity_634493713686693204.png

Here is the suit so far:
- As of 8/20/11

Helmet - Security: Painted!
Helmet - Mark V : Painted!
Torso: Painted!
Torso Attachment - HP/Halo: Painted!
Torso Attachment - Grenade Belt: Painted!
Left Upper Arm: Painted!
Right Upper Arm: Painted!
Left Shoulder - Commando: Painted!
Right Shoulder - UA/Multi-Threat: Painted!
Left Forearm: Painted!
Right Forearm: Painted!
Forearm Attachment - Tactical/Tacpad: Painted!
Left Hand: Painted!
Right Hand: Painted!
COD Piece: Painted!
Left Thigh: Painted!
Right Thigh: Painted!
Knee Guards - FJ/Para: Painted!
Left Shin: Painted!
Right Shin: Painted!
Left Boot: Painted!
Right Boot: Painted!

PICS
Helmet:
DSC01163.jpg

Suit lying out:
IMG_0437.jpg

Plz give support and feedback since this is my first build of any sort.

Thanks!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Chest looks good. Small amount of warp but nothing that can't be fixed in the bondo stage. On that note make sure to use the braces they will keep it from more warping in the next stage. Keep us posted.

Ya the shoulder and the upper arm were separate pieces that I just taped together for the sake of taking a pic.

Srry for double post...but here is an update.

I finished a coat of resin for everything that I have made for the suit so far. My next step is to pep out the rest of the suit before doing any more hardening. I am having so much fun and can't wait to see a finished product :D

very nice, but you should list what armor variants for thoes of us who dont own reach and are not sure of what type it is.......like me =] keep up the good work man

very nice, but you should list what armor variants for thoes of us who dont own reach and are not sure of what type it is.......like me =] keep up the good work man
Thanks! I updated my first post with a list of all pieces of the suit and what variant each is.

pep is looking good man. You going to fiberglass or rondo?

I am going to rondo the inside of everything. Maybe 2 coats if it isnt hard enough

Another UPDATE!!!

It's been about a week and I have completed the left arm and the COD piece.

all that's left are the legs and the chest attachment

Here are some pics.

Suit-63011.jpg

COD Piece
Pelvis.jpg

P.S.- I'm a little unsure about what I should do to harden the suit when I am done with the pep work. Any ideas that would work and still hold up with a little amount of Bondo on the outside?

You have a great pepakura base started Matronoke! Looks good.

I would suggest using rondo (Bondo + fiberglass resin) or fiberglass (fiberglass mat or mesh + fiberglass resin) to strengthen the insides of your resin-ed pieces prior to starting Bondo work on the pieces' exteriors. BenStreeper made a great series of videos showing how to use rondo (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish?highlight=start+finish) and you could check the help sticky for fiberglass info (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26849-quot-Help!-quot-for-Fiberglassing-Resin-amp-Bondo) or just use google to find more info.

Stay the course!

Thanks!!

For the inside would it be better to have one layer of fiberglass on the inside and then put a layer of rondo over that? or would just one layer of rondo be enough to keep it strong?

Thanks!!

For the inside would it be better to have one layer of fiberglass on the inside and then put a layer of rondo over that? or would just one layer of rondo be enough to keep it strong?

If you go with rondo-only you should probably do at least two layers (wait for a layer to cure before adding a new one). I haven't fiberglass-ed a helmet yet (it's less labor-intensive to apply only rondo) but if I were to (and what I've done for the majority of my armor pieces) I would first apply a thin coat of rondo and then fiberglass using mat. Rondo alone is pretty strong but I think is more susceptible to cracking if dropped, fiberglass would add more structure to help avoid this.

Once you try working with these materials you'll gain a better appreciation for how and where to use them. Maybe start with forearm or bicep to determine what you're comfortable with before proceeding to your helmet or torso. You've already applied resin so I'm sure you know but please remember to use protective gear such as a respirator, gloves, and eye-protection (long sleeves will help to avoid skin clean up later too...wearing sleeves can be a pain on warm days but I find it's worth to avoid the scrub-down later).

YET ANOTHER UPDATE!!!

I finished one leg and it looks like I scaled everything perfectly! I am getting really excited as I grow closer to completing the pep work.

Here are some pics:

Thigh:
Thigh.jpg

Shin:
Shin.jpg

Boot:
Foot.jpg

Entire leg:
Leg.jpg

My next step is to pep the left leg and also the attachment for the right thigh.
Wish me luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back