Halo Weapons build from scratch *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're mag turned out looking great.

I totally concur with this statement.

Very, very cool work my friend. Let me know how you find the duability when you've done eh?

I wonder about the durability also. I know you said you hadn't hardened the exterior but what about the interior? Does it seem like the cardboard supports you've inserted on the inside provide enough rigidity to avoid crushing by squeezing?

I'd really like to try this method also. Is there anyway you could point me in the direction of the set of drawings you used? I see you also have one for the rifle so maybe there is some collection that I can't seem to find. Please let me know, thank you.

Thanks for sharing your work with everyone! Looking forward to seeing your future projects.

...but this is really a great new way to build the weapons. infact i just about finnished the assualt rifle for my bro in 3 hours!(just the top piece and the bottom barrel thing and then im done!) did you get this idea from someone else or did you make it yourself?

That's really fast!
This isn't my original idea; I've had a lot of inspiration from all you wonderful people on the 405th. The main chunk of this is from marshon's tutorial, and I'm eternally grateful to him for showing me an alternative to weapon building. He's got even better builds than mine.

...I wonder about the durability also. I know you said you hadn't hardened the exterior but what about the interior? Does it seem like the cardboard supports you've inserted on the inside provide enough rigidity to avoid crushing by squeezing?

I'd really like to try this method also. Is there anyway you could point me in the direction of the set of drawings you used? I see you also have one for the rifle so maybe there is some collection that I can't seem to find. Please let me know, thank you.

Thanks for sharing your work with everyone! Looking forward to seeing your future projects.

The durability is amazing, actually. I'm not sure about larger weapons, as I haven't gotten there yet, but with the M6, it's pretty solid. As long as you scaffold your base structure really well, you should be okay. I've found that it helps if you add more scaffolding in narrow parts to help it more sturdy.
The only thing I recommend is putting some kind of finish on the gun. Because there are so parts made of foam, it CAN get scratched/dented if scraped along something. Also, some of the paint seems to rub off as well.
Structurally, it's fine.
To maintain all the details, apply a thin coat of finish on it to protect it.

As for the reference pictures, Bungie has a wonderful section with specs. It doesn't include EVERYTHING, but it happened to have the M6 and the DMR.

FIRST OF ALL: beautiful magnum, you've inspired me to remake mine :$ How did you go about sealing the edges of the corrugated cardboard? o_o

@ SatchmoIII: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/9039-Wizard-Of-Flight's-Weapon-Blueprints These things are invaluable :p I'm not sure what the necessity/process of obtaining permission is though (sorry :( )

Thanks!!
As for the corrugated edges of the cardboard, I designed the pieces so that the edges are either covered by other pieces of cardboard or will be covered by the foam or cardstock. It takes a little planning ahead, but it's doable. For the edges that I missed, or for horrible lines where the foam edges didn't meet up very nicely, I slathered on some bondo and smoothed it out as best I could.

Also, on those blue prints, is there a higher res file available for those? Or are those it? I was confused when I was looking for reference pics for the DMR.

==

In light of updates:
I was staring at my blueprint of the DMR, and I realized I really want it functional. It's a little too late for the trigger and the lights above the trigger, but I want everything else to be functional. However, this means that I need to buy stuff, and right now I'm short of funds. So until I can get a hold of some extra cash, my DMR has to be put on hold =(
Meanwhile, I'll see if I can work on other guns.
I had a pepped SMG; it's resin'd, but I really hated the idea of filling up the inside with rondo because 1) it's going to be very heavy and 2) that's a lot of rondo. So, I'm going to rebuild this from scratch as well:
P9260379.jpg

I also started pepping a sniper rifle a long while back and never finished it. Again, I don't want to harden it with rondo, so I will most likely start over on this as well. I may use some of the pep pieces I have done already mostly because I've spent so much time on this and I don't want to just throw it away.
PB030010.jpg

hey testdrive, that 3 hours was just the main body piece, in other words just the handel, stock,magazine and barrel. that ammo indicator thing and what is supposed to be a flashlight in halo ce. i even went a little further and built a cocking mecanism from half a pencil and about 6 pieces of cardbooard, and its functional. but nice work on everything so far. when i first saw your sniper it looked like the nerf recon cs-6. oh well keep up the amazing work!

Wow... Your stuff is brilliant! I really need to test out this scratch building method, because apparently if you plan it carefully, the results are plain awesome! The base doesn't seem too difficult, so I might start with one of those. Can't wait to see more progress on the DMR, and overall, good job!

You know that the Rondo does not need to fill it entirely right. All you have to do is add a little bit, cover the hole you put it into, and slush it around so it sticks to the sides inside. It will dry like that and be harder than fiberglass, but still hollow.

you could also do a few layers of resin outside like normal, but then do a few extra layers in high stress areas, then put expanding foam in it (like drill a few holes in areas you wouldnt see easily, so you can add small amounts of foam everywhere to prevent any ballooning the foam could cause) then fill the holes down the line, and the sniper you could use pvc pipe for the barrel and itd give you another access point for foam too. just a suggestion.

Nice man. i just cant wrap my head around the idea of starting with nothing and making it into things like this. Great work man!

Reading through again, and there's one thing you're doing wrong.

Quit selling yourself short! You keep calling yourself a noob, but your edges are waaaay cleaner than mine. There's some fine craftmanship in those weapons of yours sirrah, keep with it!

HOLY MAGNUM BATMAN!

But really that is one fine piece you got there. I would love to make something even half that nice!

Keep up the good work i cant wait to see that DMR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back