Hyo's Female Reach Build - Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyokenseisou

*Finished pics start at page 11!!

-----------------------
So I've caving in.... I feel I have enough stuff built so far to show off and make an actual thread....
So here's what I'll look like in the end, hopefully:

251209_10150638761340403_814300402_19142513_2285996_n.jpg

I have resined and 'fiberglassed':
-toe
-ankle and ankle cover
-shin
-lower and upper knee
-thigh
-cod
-UA multi-threat shoulder guard (left)
I have built and needs resin and 'glass':
-torso
Cut out, needs scoring and building:
-biceps
-forearms
-(1) hand piece
-helmet

260480_10150648942385403_814300402_19264983_1292226_n.jpg

260271_10150648942605403_814300402_19264988_4819625_n.jpg

And a look at the legs back in earlier stages;
I have the shin and ankle with just a couple layers of resin on, knee nothing. The thigh was an older test build (for scaling purposes) and the one in the pic was not used in the final thing. I rebuilt both thighs; but wore this one for the pic to get a better idea. Was wearing my Lost Planet 2 cosplay pants as they were the only tight black pants I had at the time. XP

227605_10150576822460403_814300402_18553249_8062153_n.jpg

And the start of my undersuit...
I took some under armor clothing (long sleeve shirt and pants) and sewed the two pieces together for a base to work off of (and because I am FAR too lazy to make another body suit... eff those... O-ren Ishii was a bi*** to do as it was...). Then I installed a zipper in the front. I made a duct tape dummy in which I taped again to draft patterns off that layer. I'll be attached pieces of (really freaking awesome omfgbbqiloveit) vinyl fabric for details and whatnot.

250079_10150633088810403_814300402_19061472_1653655_n.jpg

Sooooo yeah.... That's it for now.... I prreettty much having built or done anything (with the exception of the flag) this month because since my car accident and having to prep for an up coming con (I had a table in artist alley so had to do stuff for that) I became really lazy and slacked on the armor.... Which I'm sure will come back to haunt me...
But in any case, I WILL have this done for PAX in august, even if it kills me!! But honestly, I'm not worried... I've been caught up in tighter stupider deadlines before. So meh.

But since I'm back in the zone of making stuff since meeting Longshot (All the attention he got... I missed those days when I was the center of attention at cons... Oh my glory days.... curse my laziness and doing off years....), I'll also be updating/posting in my other thread of well: Live Streaming of the Making of Spartan Armor. Pretty self explanatory... So swing by some time when I'm streaming and yeah.. watch me make this stuff live...? XD

YAY IZY! Nice stuff! I like the undersuit, and Im thinking watching you work may be a good idea, I might learn something!

Thanks!
Yeah I had already planned that. I picked up some 'black'/dark thermal plastic and will vacuuming it when I come to that stage.
Though I just thought of another idea... The visor isn't THAT rounded, not like an EVA... So I'm thinking I might even be able to get away with heating up the plastic so it's soft and I can work with it, and just so the same idea/concept as a black smith and just pull, shape, and form it around some already rounded (ie knee [with something on my knee to smooth it out], etc). I might be able to get away with doing it like that easily is I do it in for sections (as shown in the ref), which I also planned to do anyways as well....
Cause I already built the helmet 'technically', but it was scaled too big, so I obviously have to redo it. And just looking at the visor, the most rounded part is the top, and even that isn't THAT rounded...

YAY IZY! Nice stuff! I like the undersuit, and Im thinking watching you work may be a good idea, I might learn something!
You should watch me!! There's totally not enough threads out there that show the making of undersuits, only a very small handful. And so I hope my contribution with my undersuit will encourage more people to make undersuits, rather than just wearing black shirt and jeans underneath. That totally ruins an awesome suit imo; a lack of/crappy undersuit.

Thanks!
Yeah I had already planned that. I picked up some 'black'/dark thermal plastic and will vacuuming it when I come to that stage.
Though I just thought of another idea... The visor isn't THAT rounded, not like an EVA... So I'm thinking I might even be able to get away with heating up the plastic so it's soft and I can work with it, and just so the same idea/concept as a black smith and just pull, shape, and form it around some already rounded (ie knee [with something on my knee to smooth it out], etc). I might be able to get away with doing it like that easily is I do it in for sections (as shown in the ref), which I also planned to do anyways as well....
Cause I already built the helmet 'technically', but it was scaled too big, so I obviously have to redo it. And just looking at the visor, the most rounded part is the top, and even that isn't THAT rounded...

Yeah I see where your getting at. Some helmets like my JFO and Boba Fett need a vacuformer to make visors because of the shape of it. Sucks you have to redo it though. :(

Yeeeahhh... It was kind of a waste of two days... But oh well.. At least now I know where all the pieces go and will be able to rebuild it much faster. No biggy.

OMG! I know that this is going to be one kick a$$ undersuit and armor.
I agree with you about how not so uber the suits are when just black shirts and pants are used. The undersuit is part of the costume... It needs detailing too.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you have been inspired and motivated. KUDO's!

I'll just HAVE to check out your live streaming of making your armor. (time permitting)

Gotta run and get back to work. Stupid late shifts! :)

This looks great, your now on my watch list. (that sounded a lot more government creepy than I intended)

Any idea when you may be live again? It would be interesting to watch your process.

This looks great, your now on my watch list. (that sounded a lot more government creepy than I intended)

Any idea when you may be live again? It would be interesting to watch your process.
Whenever I go live again, I'll post when on both this thread and my other one liked in the first post.

Thanks for the comments guys!

270905_10150658332095403_814300402_19298954_455503_n.jpg

263070_10150658334065403_814300402_19298956_2920483_n.jpg

268405_10150658335705403_814300402_19298958_4210327_n.jpg

(Yes there's supposed to be that gap there... I designed it like that.)

Closer look of the upper part
268335_10150658335855403_814300402_19298959_3968682_n.jpg

lolol I only have a few pieces on, and I feel bad ass already in this undersuit. XD

Technique = rocking the stitch ripper a lot
Diagram = Random doodle one bored night that I'm loosely following and just kind of bs-ing it as a go now. XD

lol in all seriousness, here's that sketch I did... Like I said, I did it in a night and now I'm pretty much just using this sketch I designed as a base and just adding things as I please. So final thing may or may not look like the sketch.

(Please ignore the crappy sketch.... I swear I draw 10 times better than this. I really wasn't in the mood to draw that night ergo the crappiness of it)
270988_10150672717585403_814300402_19322079_375342_n.jpg

The shaded parts are the actual under armor fabric (aka spandex) that I've leaving uncovered.

I'm stoked to the do the back/spine pieces though! I think spine pieces type designs look cool. Not quite sure how I'm gonna attached them yet to that they're detached yet attached....>.> (think of like Arbiter's neck pieces, same idea...)

Technique, it's really just drafting patterns for the vinyl pieces, cutting them out, then sewing them on the spandex. And even though I've been sewing for years, never have I found it more difficult to sew vinyl (something that doesn't stretch) onto spandex (something that does nothing but stretch). It'd be a lot easier if I wasn't sewing vinyl onto an already made bodysuit... Because trying to get in the tighter spots (ie legs, near crotch, arm pit, arms, etc) is very hard. I have to constantly make sure that when I'm sewing, to make sure that the spandex isn't stretching and the vinyl is getting sewn where it's supposed to (at the same time, creating a clean lip/fold over the vinyl's edge). So yeah.... My suggestion to anyone? If you're gonna sew vinyl onto spandex, don't do it on an already made bodysuit. Do everything in pieces and then attach them all together....

Pretty much the concept of the undersuit was to attached any vinyl in parts where the armor ends and might rub against my skin, so it was to protect it. It's also supposed to integrate the strapping and 'hide' most of that so they the suit flows better, versus all this nylon everywhere. Also to have something underneath for when I do take off some armor parts to cool down or something and yet still look badarse, all while providing ventilation/cooling and flexibility done by the exposed spandex parts. And while also trying to a bit more 'accurate' with my suit as a whole (aka not being lazy and just wearing a black sweater and black jeans underneath).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back