Visor tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ Ethan

Hey everyone, Ive had a few people message me on how i made my ODST visor. So im here to tell you how. This is an extremely cheap way to make a visor and the technique can be used for visors for most halo helmets, not just odst.

You will need:

Clear roofing plastic (used for sky lights and awnings) PRICE: About 5 dollars a metre

10-20% grade car window tint, PRICE: 10-20$, cheaper if you buy the small rolls meant for quarter light car windows (aka small rear car windows)

Clear coloured plastic of your choice. I used a blue clearlight folder (art folder), they sell them at most stationary shops. PRICE: 2-5 dollars

Instructions:

1) Draw out and scale your visor on card or paper first, make sure it fits into your helmet before moving on.

2) Place window tint onto roofing plastic, cover as much of the plastic as you will need to make your visor, dont waste the tint as it is the most expensive part and you can use the rest for other projects.

3) Trace or scratch the outline of your visor onto the roof lining that you have tinted. Cut this out with scissors or a craft knife.

4) Now cut the visor out again in one of the sides of your clear coloured folder or clear plastic.

5) Glue the edges of the coloured plastic onto the edges of the tinted roof lining.

Now the roof lining comes in rolls so is already slightly rounded so bending it to fit the contour of your helmet is easy, glue or fit your visor in place.

The reflective qualities of the tint and the plastic make it impossible for someone to see your face but it is very easy to see out of.

This will cost you only 15-20$ and with the materials you can make multiple visors. Also there are different coloured clear folders, so choose the colour that you want for your helmet.

I hope this has helped someone. Any questions just ask.

Cheers
NZ-Ethan

P.S Heres a link to the image of my ODST helmet and the visor
http://www.405th.com/entry.php/1849-My-ODST-Build

Thanks for posting a quick tut on your visor making procedure. Any chance you could update it with pics from your next build?

Thread subscribed, thanks for taking the time to post it up. A solid alternative for me since vacuum forming is a ways out there.

Where were you able to find blue reflective tint? I looked everywhere locally and some online and didnt have much luck.

He used regular car tint on a sheet of plastic, with a piece of blue plastic over it, so that there are 2 layers there. At least that's what I'm gathering from this tutorial.

You can also use a transparent blue spray paint if you can't find blue plastic.

Where were you able to find blue reflective tint? I looked everywhere locally and some online and didnt have much luck.

Its just car tint with a layer of blue plastic over the top, The blue plastic is just from a clear blue art folder, extremely cheap, flexible, and easy to cut

Thread subscribed, thanks for taking the time to post it up. A solid alternative for me since vacuum forming is a ways out there.

No problem man :). yeah i just figured it would help out since I could never afford vacume forming and the other flash building stuff, Its a cheap alternative and really easy to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back