Duct Tape Dummy (for your HEAD?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dung0beetle

No two heads are the same size or shape, so since few of us have the facilities to scan our head in 3d and print out a copy, or feel confident enough about lifecasting our own noggin' I thought I would put this tutorial together for a duct tape dummy of your own head.

Materials needed:

1. Duct tape - It has a dark side, and a light side, and it bonds the universe together.
  2. Pantyhose/stockings - I'll explain later...
  3. Baclava (full-face ski mask) - Preferably one that covers the neck.
  4. Scissors - Put the X-acto blades away for this one (ouch!)
  5. A trusted friend - This is your head, be sure it is in good hands.
  6. Stuffing - This can be old shopping bags, newspaper, pepakura scraps, etc.
Process:

1. Put the stockings/pantyhose over your head and cut away any excess. (a couple of layers may be needed to protect your hair)
  2. (Optional) Cut eye/mouth holes.
  3. Put the ski mask on your melon and make sure you can see through the eyes and your mouth is visible in the mouth opening (if there is a mouth opening).
  4. Have your "little helper" begin applying strips of tape around your face. Start with a strip from the top center of your head and go along the bridge of the nose. Use smaller strips to build up the area around your eyes (don't let the tape stick to skin or eyebrows/lashes). Work your way up to larger strips going vertically around the entire head and neck. Be sure not to pull the tape tight at the neck (breathing is not optional).
  5. Once the vertical strips are in place, continue with horizontal strips taking care around the neck area. You want it snug but not tight.
  6. Now that you are all taped up, your friend will probably go grab a camera and your ridiculous taped head will be on the internet in seconds (I did say to get a trusted friend, didn't I?) It's time to get out of it now. This is where the scissors come in to play. Make a cut starting at the back of the neck all the way to the top of the head. Be sure that you only cut the tape and the mask material. If you cut the stocking/pantyhose, you may need a shorter haircut later.
  7. Carefully remove the duct tape form. It may be difficult, but just pull it forward and it should slide smoothly against the nylon pantyhose/stocking material.
  8. Use a strip of tape to carefully tape the seam back together. (one on the inside for good measure as well)
  9. Tape over the eye/mouth holes inside and out.
  10. Stuff it carefully making sure that it is firmly packed and your head form doesn't look...deformed.
  11. Tape over the neck opening, and you're done!
Note: This may take a couple of tries to get it right. The first time is scary, so be patient and don't move when the helper is cutting the tape off. You should have something that resembles a spiderman mask. You don't have to match your head exactly (under the nose, etc.).

I was thinking about doing something like this so I could try sculpting a helmet, but I have longish hair that is afraid of accidental snipping, even with a balaclava or whatever...

If you made duct tape fabric, I think you could avoid cutting the mask underneath.

Try Autodesk Photofly, it will make a model from a bunch of pictures. Then just open it up in blender and use the decimate modifier and get real aggressive with it. From there it's into Pep Designer and a little time + resin and you got a custom dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back