Full size Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
new smoothing product

listen Zombie, For something this massive I would use drywall mud to smooth it out. the stuff is supper cheap compared to bondo. $12-$20 will get you FIVE gallons worth and a quartis $5-$3. its water based and takes about 20mins-1hour to dry (depending on the grade that you get). I sands like a dream and quick. its hyper light weight also. you can even carve into it with pencil or your exacto knife, even a screw driver. the only draw back is that after you have carved it out you need to coat it with glaze or resin to seal and stregnthen it.

At this point in the process, I'm only sticking with resin and fiber glass. After I get to a position that would require bondo, I only plan on using it for small patches. Too much bondo will weigh the whole structure down. Thank you for all the suggestions though. I got some work on the arm, pictures will be posted tomorrow or so.

Hello 405th! I meant to post pictures sooner, but with the holiday about to be in full swing, I haven't had the time. But, I put some more work into the arm, and I'm close to resining the hand. Attachment should be an interesting endeavor.

temporary-9.jpg

temporary-10.jpg

Hey man,
Been watching this thread for awhile. I really like how this build is progressing. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the awesome work!!!

Good god. I bet that was a real eye-opener to wake up to. I know eve if I was building that thing, I'd have flipped out maybe once or twice when waking up in the middle of the night or walking into the room to see it staring back.

Hello again 405th! I love seeing new comments and making posts about the progress I've been making. This went from a small project to something huge very quickly. And I am loving every second of it.

However, it has gotten too cold in my neck of the woods, and I have been unable to do anymore progress. As of right now, I check everyday to see if it is warm enough, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait until after the holiday to go back outside.

I'm not abandoning this project by a long shot. Just delaying it a week or so, and taking a week break.

i can't wait to see the finished piece. seeing someone doing something like this makes me want to give it a try... i hope it gets warm at your place soon, 'cause i want to see what you do next... great stuff...

Managed to find a suitable location for the elite for the moment. The wife isn't happy with him laying down so I had to stand him upright. I never realized he was so large until he was put next to something for comparison.
Still awesome when someone comes over and sees the half created beast. I can't count the number of people who were, shall we say, caught off guard?

temporary-11.jpg

This looks amazing. I am curious as to how you kept it from warping and such with such big pieces done?

This looks amazing. I am curious as to how you kept it from warping and such with such big pieces done?

I resined the pieces then used fiberglass on the weak points. The weak points became stronger and allowed him to stand with little warping.

Great looking build, but I'm wondering how it stands upright, as it looks hunched forward. Do the ankles bend under the weight?

He stands on his own, but he does lean a little forward. I didn't strengthen him enough, and then it happened, which caused me to try and repair the damage as fast as possible. Unfortunately there is a little bend in the ankles, but thats gone due to the fiberglass cloth on the ankle seams. It is also hunched over a little, but when you stand in front of the elite, its almost as if he is staring right at you, so I'm ok with the look.

Thanks for looking! I'll try to keep updates as regularly as possible.

All I can say is I am amazed at how great this looks, I mean as long as the wife approves, you could set the finished Elite in the living room for everybody to see, which brings me to a question, are you planning on finishing this first? I mean besides all your other projects? (all of which are very clean I might add)

I do plan on finishing this as soon as possible. I know first would be great, but due to his immense size being finished first just isn't an option at this point. Mainly due to size, but also in part because he needs layers for reinforcement.

oh, ok cool. it would be awesome to have a finished elite starin down on all who enter your house lol... and then there's the idea of molding him and making duplicates for a couple of friends, and the duplicates would actually be lighter due to the material difference. just a thought.

oh, ok cool. it would be awesome to have a finished elite starin down on all who enter your house lol... and then there's the idea of molding him and making duplicates for a couple of friends, and the duplicates would actually be lighter due to the material difference. just a thought.

lol, you're only saying that cuz you want one! not gonna lie... so do I... lol.

Great work so far, Zombie. I can't wait to see this thing finished! Are you going to put a weapon in his hands? It would be totally BA if he was holding an energy sword!!!

Rex out.

lol, you're only saying that cuz you want one! not gonna lie... so do I... lol.

Great work so far, Zombie. I can't wait to see this thing finished! Are you going to put a weapon in his hands? It would be totally BA if he was holding an energy sword!!!

Rex out.
gawsh I can't hide anything from anyone! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back