First ever armor attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkalot

Hi all 405th members. EDIT: NOW MAKING A JFO HELM, SCREW THE SHOULDER PAD. HELMS ARE FUNNER. Im totally new at this so I hope you guys can help me out as i go. Basically I just want to make a U/A Security shoulder as this seems like a relitivly easy build to start on. I hope to build an Operator helm should I ever gain the needed skills to do so but that's a long way off. Well, here I go...
IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

So am I doing this right?? lol.

Sorry about double posting. After cutting out the foam i couldnt wrap my head around how the pieces were meant to go together. So i decided to do some VERY shoddy pep just so i could see what was meant to happen.
CopyofIMAG0061.jpg

CopyofIMAG0060.jpg

This is all held together with some blue-tak of course. What I am wondering is should the cuts in the foam to create the angles all go on the inside of the pieces or when bending outwards should I cut a bevel on the outside of it and tidy it up later? Any help or critisism appreciated.

Hey bro! In danger of repeating people, welcome to the 405th! Always glad to have fresh meat! (jk jk, the guys here are really nice)
Freezer is absolutely right, read as many stickies as you can bear, then read some more :p So many gems in there.
Also, as a courtesy thing, instead of double posting, go into the "go advanced" menu, and just edit on to the post.
Once again, great to have you here!
Out of curiosity what paper/card stock are you using?

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Out of curiosity what paper/card stock are you using?
Just A4 paper as it was only for templates. I can see now why cardstock is superior for this type of work. Also I am looking forward to part 2 of that tutourial as Im sure it will be massively helpfull.
IMAG0062.jpg

First pic of actual foam work. I know, I know. Messy as hell. But seeing as i glued it together upside-bloody-down to start with im actually kinda pleased with it. Hopefully I'll have it done by tomorrow as having 4 wisdom teeth removed along with a chunk of your upper jaw leaves one with alot of spare time.
Thanks to my girlfriend for letting me use her treasured Ugg-boots as a display mount.

Just thought I'd add this in as this is a costuming sort o' community. A while back my work decided to have a masquerade(spellcheck?) ball as our Christmas party. I didnt want to wear a frilly feathery mask so I made this outta aluminium foil, tape and a s@#t-load of spray body filler. I have bright orange hair so it seemed a natural choice. Hope you like it.
CopyofIMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Security shoulder update soon.

FOAM FINISHED!!
IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

YAY! Its a little un-even and very rough but for my first try Im pleased with the result. Gunna have a go at painting it up tomorrow.

Got the first few layers of paint on the foam but jeez its taking up alot. I couldnt get a sealant to put over the foam first. While waiting for each coat to dry I've started pepping a JFO helm. So far 60% of the pieces are cut and marked out ready to be folded and glued. Is it a good idea to use hot glue even on the tiny fiddlely flaps? It just seems a little to bulky.
Have a good one guys.

Here's the helmet!

JFO is underway and going well. I'd like to give a massive thanks to whomever developed this unfold as its sensational. I just cant remember whose it is and the file has no name on it. So if it you know whose it is then let me know so I can give them credit.

All cut out and ready for folding/glueing
IMAG0072.jpg

Coming along nicely.
IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

Ready to go!
IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

First ever pep piece and I'm bloody proud of it. Its got a little out of shape around the 'ears' and towards the back but other than that i really dont think i could have done much better on my first go. Hopefully I'll get a chance to resin it over the next few days.
Happy building guys!

Looks good Clarkalot! It's difficult to avoid skewed areas entirely. Some of the skew can be rectified with the bondo/shaping/smoothing process and I feel that once painted and detailed, if minor skew still exists, it'd be less noticeable.

I plan to work on this helmet with my brother who will be staying with me later this month. I think IroniumCostuming created it. Also, I think your pieces 9 and 10 (the two protrusions at either end of the lower jaw or chin area) are intended to be recessed into the chin. That said, it's your helmet so if you like it the way it is go for it.

Good luck with your build!

Looks good Clarkalot! It's difficult to avoid skewed areas entirely. Some of the skew can be rectified with the bondo/shaping/smoothing process and I feel that once painted and detailed, if minor skew still exists, it'd be less noticeable.

I plan to work on this helmet with my brother who will be staying with me later this month. I think IroniumCostuming created it. Also, I think your pieces 9 and 10 (the two protrusions at either end of the lower jaw or chin area) are intended to be recessed into the chin. That said, it's your helmet so if you like it the way it is go for it.

Good luck with your build!
Hey thanks mate! I was hoping the bondo stage would help with those areas. Im in the process of resining it right now so bodo should go on in a few days. The 9-10 pieces... yeah I thought they were meant to be recessed as well but there were no numbers corrosponding to any edge. I like the outward look though, Maybe I can fit some LED's in there later.
Happy building lads! (and ladettes)

EDIT:
Hey guys, hope you're all well. Got some work done over the last two afternoons.
Resined
IMAG0081.jpg

Rondoed.
IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

A massive thanks to Ben Streeper for his video tutourials. Without them I really doubt I would have gone any further with this than just the pep. The only places I really need to bondo are the ears and the top just to round it a bit. There are a few minor spots as well but hopefully I'll be painting it by next weekend. Fingers crossed. Im a little worried about doing the visor. Ive read alot of guides and they have been very helpful. (Blackula's guide is awesome.) But these visors are all curved, The JFO is kinda like 4 almost flat panels. Im pretty sure a motorcycle visor wont work. Any ideas guys?
Have a good weekend!

Bondoing now under way. I'm doing it a section at a time as this is my first time. I feel that doing it this way will help me avoid screwing up too much. So far it seems to be coming out well.
IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

Not real happy about this bit though.
IMAG0092.jpg

I totally bollocked up the ear bit here. I'm thinking of cutting the shape i need out of balsa wood or something of the like, attaching it at the appropriate angle and then filling in behind it with bondo or putty. I hope this will work as I'm not real keen on just smothering the area in bondo and then sanding out the shape. Tossing up between finishing the bondo/sanding or driving the hour it takes to see Transformers3 tomorrow.
Happy building all!

Bondo done and first coat of primer is now on! Time for pics!
IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Although far from perfect I am so happy with how this came out. Trying to get my hands on an engraver my gf's dad has to ad the small details in. I'm really looking forward to this part. I want to say thanks to all the 405th members whose threads Ive lurked in. They have given me so much help. Particularly to Blackula and Satchmo3. Their threads/builds are excellent and as far as Im concerned could be viewed as tutourials.
Hopefully they paint will go on this weekend. Happy building to all, an to all a good build!

Okey dokey, just a small update this time. I dont think I'll get the paint on as soon as I wanted to. The engraver I'm using is a wee bit gut-less and planning a wedding takes time. Oh my kingdom for a dremel, or failing that the $170 needed to purchase one.
Got one side done and marked in the visor lines just to motivate myself toward finishing a bit.
IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Enjoy the weekend everyone, it's never long enough.

I use the back of my X-tacto Knife and/or detail files for allot of my fine lines. This along with adding to the build with paper gives it allot of depth with out hours of grinding with the dremel. Other than that you're helmet is coming along nicely.

Motorcycle visor. Found them on E-bay for about $15 for a mirrored one. Can get a 3 pack with one mirrored one tinted and one clear foe abot $30.

Australia. No Home depot. =D And Bunnings(our equivelent) is a ways away. I'll get there eventually.
yea it would be good if we had a shop like home depot close to us, Bunnings is about 2-2:30 hours away from me so it is a bit harder for me to get supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back