Gremlin ODST CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been gone some time from these forums. Last time I was hanging around I was researching how to spray a domed visor and realized that it's way to inconsistent even with an airbrush. I'm also to cheap to make a vacuum metalizing chamber (though I really did think about it :cool).

So instead of the chamber I build a rather large cnc router. First on the cutting block is that ODST I've always wanted to make (I'm to short for a spartan).

Anyway, here is the chest piece which is made from Forged Reclaimer's chest model which I bumped up to a few million polygons for that smooth, machined look. I made it from XPS foam (pink/blue foam sold at your local home improvement store). Since XPS melts when paint/primer touch it I sealed it with about 5 coats of B.I.N. shellac based primer. Then added a few layers of sand able primer... then noticed the darn foam was out gassing and causing bubbles in my finish. I'll try sealing with Minwax right off the router for a more mechanical bond next time.

Try as I might these bubbles kept creeping in once the gray primer went down. I'll have to fix them on the final piece along with a few minor fudged spots (lose set screw on my z axis :angry). Anyway here's the pics:

th_DSC00608.jpgth_DSC00609.jpg

Still scouting for models for the rest of the pieces, stay tuned.

Someone actually built that file, i thought it disappeared in the echos of the internet lol

This is going to be one sweet build if its all CNC ODST stuff.

I need to find/build a good helmet model first. The key with doing subdivision modeling is using very few triangles otherwise you can get some fugly meshes.

Might I suggest Hughes ODST files? Very flawless imo.

Hugh's files are very good. However, it all depends if someone is looking for a HD file or low def.

I might actually have a file that was supposed to be CNC'd for a helmet run I was supposed to be in but got canceled. I'll ask the owner and see what he says. 0therwise Kirrou and Rundown have pretty good 0DST helmet files. I do believe Rundowns has more detail however. Not sure.

I have some PMs out just need people to reply to em. I will not use a pep based file without asking the modeler for permission to export, I got moral standards and I do slightly modify the model (subd). Working on Kirrou's shoulders atm and doing a quick cheap caulk mold so I can make a rondo master for the chest plate so I can get rid of the little bubbles. I hope to get the shoulders on the machine Monday.

High def is defiantly worth it on on a CNC, it just takes a little longer to preserve the details while bumping the poly count to smooth out areas. I normally bump to around a million polygons just so I don't have to sand much.

I also seemed to have miss placed my riffles...

I have some PMs out just need people to reply to em. I will not use a pep based file without asking the modeler for permission to export, I got moral standards and I do slightly modify the model (subd). Working on Kirrou's shoulders atm and doing a quick cheap caulk mold so I can make a rondo master for the chest plate so I can get rid of the little bubbles. I hope to get the shoulders on the machine Monday.

High def is defiantly worth it on on a CNC, it just takes a little longer to preserve the details while bumping the poly count to smooth out areas. I normally bump to around a million polygons just so I don't have to sand much.

Well if you're looking for High def then I strongly suggest Hughes files. His are top notch.

Glad to see we all have respect for others property, Seen some issues with that in the past. :( I sent an email, just waiting for a response. :) I agree with Tc, Hugh is very very good.

EDIT: Found out the original modeler hasn't been active for 6 months.

Wow, it's amazing how life can throw a punch at you... or a red Toyota Tacoma... Take it from me Tacomas hurt, a lot.

I've learned a few things in the past month other then who wins in truck vs. motorcycle (truck wins btw).

First, when applying a silicone caulk mold, remember to actually use that mold release on your bench...
th_DSC00650.jpg th_DSC00649.jpg

Second. SOS pads do a pretty good job of removing paint + foam bits from said mold.
th_DSC00652.jpg

Third Durhams water putty is my new favorite working material. It's like Plaster of Paris but dries slower and can be demolded earlier and carved. Also dries way harder and lighter. I also use it for the mother-mold + some cheap bandages, almost feels like a ceramic when dried.
th_DSC00656.jpg

Lastly, glazing putty is your friend. Here's my finished master, just waiting on some rebound 25 to arrive. (yes I see the little dip in on the front crease, it bugs me too).
th_DSC00653.jpg th_DSC00654.jpg th_DSC00655.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back