Mk V. Hybrid Build & Guilty Spark - SchizophrenicMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizophrenicMC

Hey, guys. I've started a new armor build, recently, and I've decided to post it up here for all.

It started out as a Mk V build, but as it progressed, I added more and more Reach parts, until now, it's more accurate to say it's a Reach build with some MkV parts.

I'll be updating every day I make progress, so stay tuned.

Progress thus far:
ProgressMkV7-17.png

Pics:
07071619.jpg

07071619a.jpg

07071620.jpg

06211326.jpg

06211325.jpg

06201900.jpg

06201859.jpg

Spark is bigger than I realized

Anyway, comment, and whatnot. I'd like to hear your feedback.

And thanks to Rhinoc, Ruze, Brandon McClain, and a few other people I'm sorry to have forgotten the names of, for their parts. The real artwork here is how well they were modeled and unfolded.

And thanks to Rhinoc, Ruze, Brandon McClain, and a few other people I'm sorry to have forgotten the names of, for their parts. The real artwork here is how well they were modeled and unfolded.
So true. Not trying to be a dick, your work looks great so far, but you are so right. There are so many of us who would never have even been able to dream of our own armor without the help of all the skilled modelers on this site (and other sites), so kudos to them.

Loving the choice of the mk V (A), one of my favourite helmets.

Good luck man, Squish

nice clean pepakura work man. And many points go to you for building guilty spark. You don't see many builds like that. Keep it up.

Thanks, guys.

And yeah, Squish, there would be none of my armor, were it not for the modelers and unfolders of pepakura.

Check the OP, I updated progress.

All I got was a boot, today, because I made the mistake of getting a CraftROBO to try and do my work for me. And it was a miserable waste of money. It consistently cuts with no regard for the lines, it runs all the thin parts, it cuts those lines you know to ignore, because they're the product of Pep Designer kinda sucking, and the carrier mat only lasts about 12 pages.

So, while I jacked around with my CraftROBO, I scaled a bunch of parts wrong, had to re-unfold my helmet file 5 times before giving up, and got absolutely nothing done but a 4-page boot. (Which had to be expanded to 6 pages to fit the CraftROBO's version of Pep Viewer)

It's now in my closet, and I'm so sick of pepakura, I'm not putting another piece together until I have all the parts I've already made, all the way to to bondo. That includes Spark, who I'm gonna have to build a rotocaster for.

All I got was a boot, today, because I made the mistake of getting a CraftROBO to try and do my work for me. And it was a miserable waste of money. It consistently cuts with no regard for the lines, it runs all the thin parts, it cuts those lines you know to ignore, because they're the product of Pep Designer kinda sucking, and the carrier mat only lasts about 12 pages.

So, while I jacked around with my CraftROBO, I scaled a bunch of parts wrong, had to re-unfold my helmet file 5 times before giving up, and got absolutely nothing done but a 4-page boot. (Which had to be expanded to 6 pages to fit the CraftROBO's version of Pep Viewer)

It's now in my closet, and I'm so sick of pepakura, I'm not putting another piece together until I have all the parts I've already made, all the way to to bondo. That includes Spark, who I'm gonna have to build a rotocaster for.

Ouch mate, but just remember:
(kickass album by the way)

Keep us posted! Squish

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually working on close to the exact same things... I have a Halo 3 Mk. V helmet that I'm building for my girlfriend and I'm building a Guilty Spark/Penitent Tangent. I plan to have a switch that goes from blue led's to that pinkish-red. I actually posted a thread a while back for them both but I think it got pushed to like the 3rd or 4th page by now.

I'm actually working on close to the exact same things... I have a Halo 3 Mk. V helmet that I'm building for my girlfriend and I'm building a Guilty Spark/Penitent Tangent. I plan to have a switch that goes from blue led's to that pinkish-red. I actually posted a thread a while back for them both but I think it got pushed to like the 3rd or 4th page by now.
I saw that thread last night, actually. I didn't post on it, because I was on a bit of a mission at the time, but that sounds like a good idea.

Little factoid, though: Tangent's got square holes on his sides, whereas Spark's are circular. That said, rampant Spark transition would be amazing.

And just how did you manage that?
It was night and I've been working with a rope light strung over me for lighting, and my table's a dark color, so I didn't see the resin seeping out of the bottom of the handle I thought was sealed and watertight.

Revision 2 will be more carefully sealed and filled with rondo instead of resin, as I've found the plastic spoons.

I have a CraftROBO too, and I have experienced all of the problems you described, and more. However even so it still allows me to pep pieces 3 or 4 times faster than usual.

As for your armor, nice pepping, looks clean with crisp edges. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Guilty Spark turns out.

I made negative progress, today, actually.

07172155.jpg

07172156.jpg

07172157.jpg

Got some parts partly-glassed, but not by much; I ran out of rubber gloves. And, worst of all, my right boot got ruined by poorly-applied fiberglass. So now I have to rebuild it.

07172158.jpg

I have one gauntlet pepped, now, and I guess I'll do the second one tomorrow. I need to find a new shoulder file, though. The unfold I'm working with kinda sucks. I plan on making the thighs over the course of next week, the shoulders next weekend, and the tacpad the following tuesday. Finally, I'll do the helmet the rest of the week. In the meantime, reinforcement will continue at night, when it's cooler.

I still have to build a rotocaster for Spark, and I'm not sure how I'm going to go about that, but my biggest frustration is this CraftROBO. It keeps getting worse, every time I try and use it. If it were just off-lines, I'd be fine, but parts come up off the mat, and jam it, so it cuts lines in the middle of the page, completely offset from the rest. Biggest disappointment I've had in this hobby.

Sorry about your bad luck man, it seems to have hit you pretty good, Aside from that your pep work looks really good and you can always redo those parts again, but yes it sucks doing it all over again, belive me i've been there, and if the craft robo is giving you problems, just go back to the old school way of cutting and scoring, hope it all turns out well for you keep up the great work

Sucks to see that happen to your M6B...it looked pretty well made up till that point. One time i acidentally did what you did, except with an Assault rifle... i had to chip it off the bench with the chissel the next day =P

As for guilty sparf, for a good size reference, look at the scene in Halo 2 where johnson holds onto him and used him as a mode of transport near the end...

Sorry to hear about you're run of bad luck, But don't let it get you down. You're pep looked good, and like most of us will only get better the more you use it. So keep building, and keep us posted.

In other news, my M6B is officially trashed.

Don't sweat it. I wanted to tell you that I put out a more accurate Reach pistol, but I saw that you had built this one and didn't want to create more work for you. Since you have created more work for yourself anyway, I might as well lead you in a better direction. Here is the link to the new pistol...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30963-New-Halo-Reach-Pistol-Pep-File-(Now-with-Sliced-Win!)

There is a pep version and a sliced version. I've seen the sliced version built a few times and every time, it looked fantastic. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back