Daft Punk Guy-Manuel pepakura to mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Hey everyone, so I am working on Guy-Manuel's helmet from Daft Punk. This is my first project, and I wanted to go all out, so I have ^^

Started Pepping, watched some big bang theory on mah comp to keep me sane!
oscsyf.jpg

Here is the fully pepped helmet:
1t7wj7.jpg

Fully resined and partially Bondo'd:
w2eova.jpg

Fully Bondo'd, painted in primer to get better look at curvature and defects:
s0ze5i.jpg

Now here is where my method differs from most, I HATE the fiberglassed inside, so I wanted a plastic helmet. Time to start spending tonnes of moneyz:

Here is the clay wall, I caught a break since the clay came in bars:
b4dqvd.jpg

This just doesn't look right lol:
2144eax.jpg

got about 4 layers of the rubber, then made a plastic shell:
16iu0ba.jpg

Here is the plastic shell:
x6kc2h.jpg

Currently I'm coating the second half in rubber, but it's thunder and rain out there. I should have the full mold finished by the end of the weekend. I will start making the vacuum former next week.

I am thinking of getting 1/8 inch acrylic sheet, getting two heat guns and going at it. I also got a Arduino microcontroller (mega 2560) and I'm going to program all the lights into patterns.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress and feel free to ask me anything.

Daft-punk expert I am not, but that is just great! Very nice work there, I think you'll get a quality product!

Its looking great, don't know much about daft punk, but everything look nice and smooth.

It you're building a vacuum former, why not just use an oven for the heat source instead of heat guns. The problem I see with using them is you may not get even heating across the acrylic. Unless of course you don't have access to an oven, then try the heat guns.

Other than that, looks good and I can't wait to see how you do the lights.

Looking awesome! Hope you don't mind me asking whose file you're using?
I couldn't find it on 405th, (I originally did, it was in a pack of pepakura files, described in red text). I did find it with google so here is a link to the user's blogspot: http://pepprops.blogspot.com/2010/06/daft-punk-helmets.html

It you're building a vacuum former, why not just use an oven for the heat source instead of heat guns. The problem I see with using them is you may not get even heating across the acrylic. Unless of course you don't have access to an oven, then try the heat guns.

ya, I've been thinking about that. I would definitely rather use a oven, but I don't believe my parents will let me use it >.> before I do vacuumform, I will ask to use the oven first. I think if I get a second heat gun I might be able to get more even heat distribution.

How's the progress on this helmet? :D
I'm currently making one right now. (At the Resin stage) How did you get bondo in the ear area?

How's the progress on this helmet? :D
I'm currently making one right now. (At the Resin stage) How did you get bondo in the ear area?

going to update in a min or two, but ya the ear area was tricky. I connected the ear piece when I pepped the design, then after I got the first coat of resin on the outside I took my dremmel and cut to the inner part of the ear piece from the inside of the helmet. Then just fill it with resin and fiberglass.

Update time!

I finished off the mold and took the original helmet out:
zjtc7a.jpg

cut out the visor and painted the original helmet as colour test:
11kxpux.jpg

208bec2.jpg

rauau0.jpg

So my first cast was a failure, I poured too much polygel 40. which resulted in it setting midway and created a giant blob with lots of possible air bubbles and would make it really hard to cut out excess:

wjj1b6.jpg

wjj1b6.jpg

I am using the first one as a test for painting, I've learned that I need to wash with soapy water, then lightly sand, or the primer won't stay, also that I'll need some coating to keep the paint from chipping:

63rgba.jpg

So I just finished the second cast, and it is godly. I went a bit overboard with the plastic, but it was soooo worth it, it is strong at every edge, and there are no air bubbles:

11kkpwh.jpg

23k58b4.jpg

Attachments

• wjj1b6.jpg
    wjj1b6.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 152
Coming out pretty clean! :D
Would you recommend making a mold of the helmet?
I resin'd the outside (Yesterday) and just fiberglassed the inside like 20 mins ago. Gonna let it fully dry overnight, then start applying Bondo.

EDIT:
What did you use to make the cast mold? (What products?) and what did you put inside the mold? Do you just pour the stuff needed and move it around the mold?

Coming out pretty clean! :D
Would you recommend making a mold of the helmet?
I resin'd the outside (Yesterday) and just fiberglassed the inside like 20 mins ago. Gonna let it fully dry overnight, then start applying Bondo.

EDIT:
What did you use to make the cast mold? (What products?) and what did you put inside the mold? Do you just pour the stuff needed and move it around the mold?

It really depends, if you are willing to spend the money to make a mold, I would say the end result is worth it...but I'm talking around 500 dollars for the materials. I went with polytek, I used easy-flo 60 for the polyurethane mold, then poly 1512-x and polyfiber for the outer shell, and then used polygel 40 for the actual cast. oh and don't forget to buy pol-ease so the layers dont stick to eachother and tear.

there is cheaper techniques for mold making, check around the molded armour discussion, I just didnt try them because I wanted the best possible result I could get.

also if you don't live in america the import fee from polytek is brutal, 64 dollars!

There are cheaper routes

It really depends, if you are willing to spend the money to make a mold, I would say the end result is worth it...but I'm talking around 500 dollars for the materials. I went with polytek, I used easy-flo 60 for the polyurethane mold, then poly 1512-x and polyfiber for the outer shell, and then used polygel 40 for the actual cast. oh and don't forget to buy pol-ease so the layers dont stick to eachother and tear.

there is cheaper techniques for mold making, check around the molded armour discussion, I just didnt try them because I wanted the best possible result I could get.

also if you don't live in america the import fee from polytek is brutal, 64 dollars!

There are cheaper routes

Damn! The mold making process sounds expensive. Lmao.
i'll look for a cheaper alternative. xD

So I am basically done the helmet now, here is some pics
pr6uv.jpg

2qcmhib.jpg

246ouxc.jpg

here's the amount of hot glue that I used to attach the wires, my fingers still are burnt from this
ae1tac.jpg

Here's a pic of how glorious it looks on me:
71qxi9.jpg

next is electronics....

Here is a video of the helmet, only a very few loose ends are left: I'm gunna get some kind of more permanent connection to the arduino and the green light on the left side is out.

ya, so if you guys got any questions fire away, other than that I am happy with what I've done ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back