Republic Commando pep helmet... ((LOTS OF PICS!))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that is one sweet looking helmet. The line work is just amazing, and the attention to detail is just out of this world. This just made my short list so Please keep us posted.

Wow that looks super smooth i didn't know that's how smoothcast came out, the outside looks ultra smooth to. That's gunna sick when it's done, I know there's threads on this, but are there any tricks you use personally when working with bondo that you would share?

No tricks at all. Just use light coats and ONLY fill in the LOW spots. There is no need to cover the whole piece in one shot.
Take your time.

I'm sorry, but did you use bondo? If you did, how did you get it so smooth? The reason I ask if you used it is because when you put in the hardener, it doesn't come out gray. Unless you primed it after you bondoed.

Sand, thin layer of bondo, sand, thin layer of bondo, sand... The filler I am using is indeed "Gold" Bondo. Picked it up at the good ol" Walmart.
Its gray because I did prime it.

THANKS EVERYONE!!
Glad you are diggin' it.

I am going to mould this up and get one painted with a visor in it before long.
Some pics show a chin detail and some don't. I am going to make the piece but mould it separately.

I also started in on the Vac-Table to make the rest of the suit.
Going with the "Thurston James" style table.
Easy to build and fairly inexpensive.
Heres a quick pic for ya...
Vac-table.jpg

Update...

I took some pictures outside with something other than my phone. These show it for its true self.
I think I'm gonna reprime and call this done and ready to mould.
My supplies will be here soon. I will post some progress pics when I have them.

Now to finish the vac-table and get on to the armor!

100_1817.jpg

100_1816.jpg

100_1819.jpg

100_1820.jpg

That is an absolute thing of beauty. I'd love to see a cast from that mold when its finished, post some pics up on here of the first cast for us, will ya?

Your work looks amazing! After my Mando suit I'm planning on building a RC. I hope mine comes out half as good as yours! Keep it up vod.

That is an absolute thing of beauty. I'd love to see a cast from that mold when its finished, post some pics up on here of the first cast for us, will ya?
You know I will!

Thanks guys!

Ahhhhh..... Christmas in July.
I was photobombed by my daschund, HA!
I will have some progress pics up soon.
0726011231.jpg

Update...

I took some pictures outside with something other than my phone. These show it for its true self.
I think I'm gonna reprime and call this done and ready to mould.
My supplies will be here soon. I will post some progress pics when I have them.

Now to finish the vac-table and get on to the armor!

100_1817.jpg

100_1816.jpg

100_1819.jpg

100_1820.jpg

this my friend, is amazing!!! i love it! great work man

this is AWESOME and BEAUTIFULL work man! Are you planning on molding this? This is one of teh best RC helmets ive seen !

Question: Does aqua resin dry as hard as fiberglass?

Liquid resin is what makes fiberglass hard after curing. The fiberglass just provides additional structural support. So if your piece is gonna be under alot of wear and tear I'd probably want to glass it but if you're careful you should be just fine with resin

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!

Yes sir. I will indeed.

watching this on both boards lol

Over on CT.net... Yessa, posting there too.

this is AWESOME and BEAUTIFULL work man! Are you planning on molding this? This is one of teh best RC helmets ive seen !

Started in on it already. :)
Skipped taking pictures of a few of the non-thicked layers though.

0727011117.jpg

0727010935.jpg

0727011145.jpg
0728011020.jpg

Liquid resin is what makes fiberglass hard after curing. The fiberglass just provides additional structural support. So if your piece is gonna be under alot of wear and tear I'd probably want to glass it but if you're careful you should be just fine with resin

So, aqua resin is just a substitute for fiberglass resin? So that means you can aqua over fiberglass cloth?

Wow. Your attention to detail is stunning. I am looking forward to your future progress on this helmet.

Thanks. I'll keep posting updates as I go.

i am wandering if u could post a link to the pepakura file to this helmet

Here ya go... Credit goes to Deadalus Thorn for the file.
http://www.4shared.com/file/POinM5et/High_Res_RC_Helmet.html

I am going with a plaster mother mould instead of fiberglass. I'm using DAP plaster which is along the same lines as "Ultra-cal". Its alot more solid than your normal everyday plaster.

To thicken the silicone, I used Thi-vex. Smooth-on sells it as well.
After I got the silicone as thick as I needed it, I built up the parting line where I'm going to cut into it from the base of the
neck all the way to the forehead.
Then on goes the mohawk of cardstock followed with a layer of aluminum foil.
There are a ton of ways to do a helmet mould, I'm just sharing the way I'm doing it.

Heres the pictures to go with the info.
0728011226.jpg

0728011253.jpg

0728011253a.jpg

0729010845.jpg

0729010858.jpg

daayyyumm. nice work, someone knows how to work body fillers i see. im still fuzzy on the mould thing and where you get the stuff, but that doesnt matter, sick work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back