Republic Commando pep helmet... ((LOTS OF PICS!))

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSberetta

Hey guys and gals.
I've been away from the hobby for awhile but I was pulled back in... again.
Gonna start a Mark Vl soon but I have always wanted an RC suit so I thought I would go for it.
I searched for RC pep and found this thread...
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30094-Republic-Commando?highlight=republic+commando

Check post #8 by Deadalus Thorn. That file rocks!
I unfolded it and gave it a shot.

Its been a few weeks in the making but heres my progress.
All of the pictures are with my cell phone.

0612011122.jpg

0616011237.jpg

0618011237.jpg

Resined.jpg

0625011846.jpg

0626011357.jpg

0627011037.jpg

0701011957.jpg

0706012222.jpg

0706012222a.jpg

0704012307.jpg

0706012244.jpg

0706012246.jpg

0707010943.jpg

0709012001.jpg

Excellent job. The bondo work looks smooth and refined. Are you planning on a custom character or are you going for the specific look of one of delta squad?

Agreed that looks great, it's so smooth. What did you use on the inside? Smoothcast 300?

Thanks guys.

Excellent job. The bondo work looks smooth and refined. Are you planning on a custom character or are you going for the specific look of one of delta squad?
Was thinking of going the "Scorch" route. I am going to make vac-form bucks for all of the armor so I might make a grunt also.

Agreed that looks great, it's so smooth. What did you use on the inside? Smoothcast 300?
Yes sir. Smoothcast 300 indeed.

As I said on PM Bro,

This is awesome work.

I have had the honour of watching this unfold in secret over the last few weeks, and it is pure awesome.

I am interested in how you created the details on the chin, specifically the inset rounded rectangles.

I am interested in how you created the details on the chin, specifically the inset rounded rectangles.
B1TMAP,
If your refferring too the 3 slots at the back of the lower-inner cheek, What I did was this... The original pep file had an angle in there that I did't like so I cut that section out with a dremel. The file is from the game but it was a personal thing. I then replaced it with .060 styrene. After I decided on the placement and size, I dremeled completely through the plastic, filed the edges and glued in a "Backing plate" behind the slots.

That is excellent looking! I'm especially impressed by the symmetry of it all. Have any particular trick, or just being extra careful?
Maverick,
After I slush cast the resin inside, I put on some gloves and carefully used a heatgun to warm up the spots that needed to be "Massaged". Just used my eyes to get it
as close as I could. No tricks.

amazing work...
could you possibly be so nice and send me the pdo file to t.jaksch@gmx.at ?
i´m working on a rc too and i cant´unfold the file.
would be really nice of you !
Thyjos,
Sorry... not gonna lie to you. I don't have a key for Pepakura so I can't save the files I unfold. I should just buy one.
I scaled the helmet up to 290mm, changed the flaps to 3mm and started seperating the pieces. Just make sure that you check ALL of the
tiny parts that make up the nose/snout section.

Thanks for the kind words!

I was able to scratch build the spot lamp and do a little more detailing. I left the little piece out that I was going to put under the light.
Looked cool but I don't think its there in the game.

More pics for you.

0710011526.jpg

0710011533.jpg

0710011939.jpg

0710012112a.jpg

Double post... I don't know. I have some updates for you.

I had some time today so I started in on the forehead details. The ingame helmet lines there seem to be lighter there but I might go a little deeper still but not sure yet.
Also started in on the aerator indents. I set them up for standard faucet sized ones. I backed them with styrene after that to make them sort of a "Blank".

I still have some spots to fill, some details to sharpen, and make the piece hat goes inside of the chin horseshoe. I think its getting close.

I'll slap in a faux visor and mould this up soon I hope.
Heres some pictures.

0713011858.jpg

0713011851.jpg

0713011947.jpg

Wow that looks super smooth i didn't know that's how smoothcast came out, the outside looks ultra smooth to. That's gunna sick when it's done, I know there's threads on this, but are there any tricks you use personally when working with bondo that you would share?

really loving this build man i have always been a star wars fan cant wait to see how it turns out for u may the force be with you

I'm sorry, but did you use bondo? If you did, how did you get it so smooth? The reason I ask if you used it is because when you put in the hardener, it doesn't come out gray. Unless you primed it after you bondoed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back