Marvelous' First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvelous

Jr Member
Hello 405th,
I've been a reader for a few months, I originally found out from IndyMogul and have been enticed by the amazing costume/armor/cosplay (Whatever you prefer calling it) that is posted here. A few days ago I decided that, what if I joined in on the fun?
Anyway, as of two days ago I've started to create my H3 matchmaking armor. It consists of the E.O.D helmet, the Scout Shoulders, E.O.D chest and -obviously- the MK VI set. This'll by my first time using Pepakura.
So far I've finished pep'ing my helmet, though I did make quite a few mistaken. Mostly just some warping though, I don't doubt that I could most likely fix it when I apply the resin and bondo. But, for the time being I can't use resin, mostly because if I did I'm almost sure my my home owner's association would have a fit. I'll most likely do it in a week or so (when I get a good spot for it.) I'll start cutting the shoulders sometime today... hopefully.

NOTE: Later on I'll be going over and re-doing these in high definition. Most likely after my school's halloween party. Believe it or not, my school gives out around 200$+ dollar gift cards to the top three best costumes. I plan on winning a gift card.

dsc0816b.jpg

This picture when I was getting started. Also, Pepakura on a mac? I'ma pro.

dsc0829jl.jpg

Like my epic self-pic, with a legit camera? Hehe. :cool

Because of some printer complications (Printer won't the lines in some of my pep files, It's most likely because I only have one ink cartridge,) I started on the 'hand guards' for lack of a better name. Too bad I was an idiot and forgot to scale it. Also, before anyone comments, yes quite a few of my pieces with be low definition/quality, 1st off because of my printer and second, I think it'll be better for my first build. Anyway, here are the pictures.

dsc0831z.jpg

Looks nice, right?

dsc0832kd.jpg

FUUUU- *Rageface.jpg* It doesn't fit.

Finished both of my hand guards, both fit decently. Don't have any gloves to test upon, though. Starting on my left cuisse.

dsc0836mzb.jpg

They're scaled!

Build
------
Helmet - Resin/Glassed
Hand Guards - Resined
Thighs - Right Pep'd, Left Pep'd
Greaves (Fancy Shins) - Pep'd Left, Pep'd Right
Boots - --
Chest - Pep'd
Shoulderpieces - --

Change Log
--------------
1. Thread was created, pep'ed helmet posted.
2. Sighted modeler/unfolders.
3. Posting failed scaling on hand pieces.
4. Post thanking the user: Kadus27
5. Posted hand piece progress.
6. Responded to higdog827 and Kadus27
7. Color Coated my posts. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Right'o, well now I feel horrible for not sighting the author's of the pep files I'm using.

E.O.D Helmet: Created by SuperTaco, Smoothed by Soulless Sin

E.O.D Chest Piece: L3X

Mark VI: Robogenesis

Scout Shoulders: VROGY

Alright, I feel better.

I'd also like to put up a shout out to Spitfire22V for the help he gave me on some of the pieces.

Build looks off to a great start! I remember when I first tried EOD, but mine was nowhere near as close. It's also great of you to sight the modelers, and giving them credit for their excellent work as many people don't. Only nitpick is to edit your original post rather than post a new one. It doesn't make too much of a difference, but just for your future reference so you don't clog your thread with post after post.

Thanks Kadus!

Thanks Kadus. I'll start just adding to my post instead of adding more posts... well, unless they are thanking a person, of course. Anyway, constructive criticism is wanted, I'm sure there won't be much until I finish more.

Thanks again, Kadus.

Your welcome! As for constructive criticism, I have none! However, try the handplate at about 70-80mm, and that should do the trick. Keep up the good work!

higdog827: *Shifty Eyes* Somewhat.

Kadus27: No criticism? This is madness! Anyway, which section are you talking about? I'm most likely looking at something different because I'm at 24mm, though I am looking at hight.

Oh... I just noticed something, both of your usernames have 27 as an ending.

higdog827: *Shifty Eyes* Somewhat.

Kadus27: No criticism? This is madness! Anyway, which section are you talking about? I'm most likely looking at something different because I'm at 24mm, though I am looking at hight.

Oh... I just noticed something, both of your usernames have 27 as an ending.
If you want criticism... GIVE ME MORE PICS. Lol, anyways, if you could get a few more so I can see most of your helmet that'd be great, and I'll provide feedback on any problem areas I see. As for the measurement, whatever the longest one is change to about 70-80mm, but it looks like you got it all sorted out anyways. It is pretty ironic we both have 27 as an ending, but it's an awesome number, so what'd expect?

I'll take quite a few pictures tomorrow. Too late to take out my camera. Anyway, I already now most of the problems on the helmet. I'll take pictures of other things, when I -start- them. :p

Anyway, which section are you talking about? I'm most likely looking at something different because I'm at 24mm, though I am looking at hight.

Just like every armor piece you make, it has to be sized specifically to you, and you cannot just use a generic value. To get the best fit for the handguards, scale using the length axis (the largest number). Measure the back of your hand from your first knuckles to your wrist, and input this number (in millimeters) into Pepakura.

And for someone who's so "pro" with Macs, cant take "epic" photos of himself, and has a "legit" camera, you're not going to go full HD pieces?? Come ooooon. :p

I'll take quite a few pictures tomorrow. Too late to take out my camera. Anyway, I already now most of the problems on the helmet. I'll take pictures of other things, when I -start- them. :p
Sounds like a plan, just keep us updated, like I neglect to do.

Just like every armor piece you make, it has to be sized specifically to you, and you cannot just use a generic value. To get the best fit for the handguards, scale using the length axis (the largest number). Measure the back of your hand from your first knuckles to your wrist, and input this number (in millimeters) into Pepakura.

And for someone who's so "pro" with Macs, cant take "epic" photos of himself, and has a "legit" camera, you're not going to go full HD pieces?? Come ooooon. :p
First part of that was really helpful.

I said I'd do the HD pieces later on. Don't worry. -Also- I never said I was a pro with a mac, I just said I'ma pro. All I did was use team viewer. xD

Also, Spitfire, you wouldn't happen to know what the best axis is to scale when doing the cuisses, would you?

I've got quite a big update you you guys! Been working for the last few days and got quite a bit done, including: Shins, thighs and forearms! All I've got left are: Boots, shoulders/rebraces and the chest piece. Too be truthful, I'm dreading the chest piece, not for the fact that I have to pep it but because I'd have to cut it all out. Anyway, should I do my chest pieces out of foam? I'd like to have a second opinion.

Anyway, here my my pictures so far!

dsc0844o.jpg

There's what I have so far, looks nice to me.

dsc0841d.jpg

Took this before I finished the shin guards and forearms.

dsc0839v.jpg

There's my thigh pieces!

HA!!! IndyMogul strikes yet again. I started on the same journey about a year and a half ago. You're pep is looking good so far.

HA!!! IndyMogul strikes yet again. I started on the same journey about a year and a half ago. You're pep is looking good so far.

Thanks, honestly my pep work is kinda sloppy. Also, I stopped watching Indy Mogel after they switched the host. His voice just gets on my nerves or something.

On another note, as a checkpoint I'd like to inform the watchers of this thread that I, indeed, decided that I would just pep my chest piece. I finished it day before yesterday and will be post pictures after I get some sleep.

Thanks Cinderblock! It's mostly because I'm still in school and have summer break! Haha

Heyo all!

I know I haven't posted in awhile but I'd like to tell the people the few people who were following me that I will be coming back and finishing this up. I've been getting caught up with school and literally haven't had any time to do anything. Work is starting to get easier and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to start back up after today, though it may be a little harder. As a status update for the 405th, before I AFK'd out I finished my greaves/shins and my chest piece.

P.S. As an indepented research project (Actually just a school project.) I managed to get my school to approve me finishing my suit. Sick right? Hopefully I can help Adam gain some sick rep down here in Austin. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back