Sanding tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTzOminousTic

Jr Member
Anybody have sanding tips to achieve that perfect smoothness?
I'm currently making a Daft Punk Helmet (Guy's) and I'm at the sanding stage and I'm having a bit of trouble. I do have a palm sander (It's one of those rotating round discs type of sander) and it works but I'm a n00b when it comes to sanding. >_>;

Should the sanding stage be:
Bondo, Sand, Repeat?

I know that you should start at 60grit sandpaper than work your way up.

How do you get rid of bumps from the visor? The visor is suppose to be nice, flat, and round but I still feel the little bumps from the folds of the pep piece. Should I just apply more Bondo?

Will post pictures of the helmet when I go the my friend's house tomorrow (It's at his house along with his DP helmet)

Yes. Depends on how smooth you want the surface, you may need to bond, sand, bond, sand at least several times. The first time you sand, you will get a lot of holes. Fill these holes with bond and sand again. Repeat the process until you get a somewhat smooth surface. Don't apply too much bondo in your second or third bond. Once you have the shape you want, you need to switch to 150, 220, and 300 grit sandpaper.

Yes. Depends on how smooth you want the surface, you may need to bond, sand, bond, sand at least several times. The first time you sand, you will get a lot of holes. Fill these holes with bond and sand again. Repeat the process until you get a somewhat smooth surface. Don't apply too much bondo in your second or third bond. Once you have the shape you want, you need to switch to 150, 220, and 300 grit sandpaper.

Why is that? What if your 1st layer of bondo is thin?

I've never worked with Bondo, but I've tried to do body filling on wood props. In my very inexperienced opinion, I would say its body FILLER, not body creator. As far as I know it fills in the holes, not adds on three more layers.

Best of luck bro! :D you seem to be doing well!

Why is that? What if your 1st layer of bondo is thin?

It's not a big deal if your first layer is thin but it will likely take multiple rounds of bondo+sanding to get smoothness. If your latter layers are too thick you'll find yourself sanding most if it off to get that even surface. I also use Bondo spot putty (usually same place as the Bondo/automotive) which requires no hardener, dries quickly and fills in minor imperfections. It's best applied in very very thin layers.

It's not a big deal if your first layer is thin but it will likely take multiple rounds of bondo+sanding to get smoothness. If your latter layers are too thick you'll find yourself sanding most if it off to get that even surface. I also use Bondo spot putty (usually same place as the Bondo/automotive) which requires no hardener, dries quickly and fills in minor imperfections. It's best applied in very very thin layers.

Spot Putty works wonders. I love it. Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back