Thorssoli's Isaac Clarke Engineering Rig from Dead Space 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it. I give up on mine. =\ I won't have it done in time. Plus, yours is much more proportionate.
I hope you're only kidding. Don't ever give up just because someone else has something better. That's how you learn man. Finish what you started, you'll be glad you did.:)

I hope you're only kidding. Don't ever give up just because someone else has something better. That's how you learn man. Finish what you started, you'll be glad you did.:)

Not just that but I don't think I'll have it done in time for Halloween. =[ and its made out of cardboard and I don't know if i can get EL Tape. It'll be weak and break easily. It's a little bigger than it should be too. Maybe 2-3 inches, which makes a big difference.

I'll second that. My first over-the-top costume project was a set of stormtrooper armor. After seven months of constant toil, here's what I came up with:
5042998460_15f9bc73da_o.jpg

Even at the time, I could pick out tons of things that were wrong with it. In hindsight, I could've had a full suit mailed to me from ebay for less than $1k and all I would've had to do was rivet it together and paint it for Halloween. Looking at my work in progress and comparing it to the Total Perspective Vortex that is the internet, I was often tempted to can the whole project, spend less time and more money, and walk away with a shiny new costume and not much else.

Instead, I powered through knowing that I wasn't doing the greatest job in the world because I knew it would mean learning a set of skills and gaining experience with new tools and materials. That would allow me to do better work in the future.

You've got a great start going. The back piece is by far the most complex part of this build. With a bit of fiberglass reinforcement and bondo, yours will be a great finished piece. Then it's all downhill from there.

Thus endeth the sermon.

That said, if you want to just get a shiny new costume that you'll just have to rivet together and paint for less than $1k, shoot me an email.

Almost done with the details on the back:
6144306020_052cca7898_o.jpg

Here's another angle showing some more of the found items I'm using:
6143755131_3ddba1af06_o.jpg

I'll be starting the arm parts today. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Really does help. No one around me gives a crap about it really, so I guess I let it get to me. But I'll finish it for you guys =D One thing, instead of fiberglass, would Hardening Resin be just as good? I heard people use that on Pepakuras to strengthen the paper to a harder material, then apply bondo to smooth (which I want to use to fill in the holes on the side of the cardboard.... Damn cardboard. >>)

P.S. Not big important matters, but my girlfriend and I split that day I said I was going to give up. So I was a bit in the dumps. I'm okay now =P

Last night I prepped the back piece for moldmaking:
6149145693_aaf928b2fb_b.jpg

Here I am pouring the first layer of silicone:
6149696514_e62531debd_b.jpg

Then brushing it back up onto the high parts:
6149145625_af309854c6_b.jpg

Before I called it a night, I layered on a batch of thicker rubber to build up the thin spots:
6149145567_2e016323a8_b.jpg

I also cast a set of the chest parts:
6149696410_c7d4b1a617_b.jpg

Stay tuned. The next step will be the beginning of the arm parts...

None of it's all that complicated. It's just a question of reading a bit before you make bunch of potentially expensive mistakes.

I finished the jacket mold for the back:
6154467173_5f233f2d01_b.jpg
The rubber was still a bit tacky though, so I didn't get around to building the mothermold or pulling a cast.

I also got the tiniest start on the right forearm:
6155009996_b4a6a2226f_b.jpg

It doesn't look like much just yet, but once I've layered on the rest of the skins it'll start to shape up.

Stay tuned...

The back mold is made:
6165584602_6b07f8510c_b.jpg

It works too:
6165051013_f678fbbc23_b.jpg

Here's the first cast with all of the greeblies in place:
6165051105_4a7af37995_b.jpg

And here's the start of the strips for the right upper arm:
6165584504_d3d2594848_b.jpg

More to come. Stay tuned...

I hate it when people's work is so good it makes mine look like crap. . . XD

that cool, I love how you do your builds. Clay plastic whatever it COOL!!!

I'm not sure why everyone was so keen to see the health tube come together, but here it is...

I put it together today. It was a simple matter of heating up a piece of blue acrylic (the same stuff I used for the slots in the faceshield) and then bending it into the shape I needed. Then I took some EL wire and coiled it down along the inside of the tube. Here's an early test shot of the lighting:
6180304216_41604a4ea9_o.jpg

Here's the inside showing the mess of masking tape holding everything in place:
6180304182_550204f0ff_o.jpg

I also made a couple of the easy parts such as the left shoulder bits:
6179777735_42176d8fb7_o.jpg

Here they are again (with the thigh ring) with a coat of textured paint:
6180304112_7f9877aee7_o.jpg

More to come. I'm also making progress on my Space Marine build.

Stay tuned...

we wanted to see the health bar because you always have great ways of making things seem simple to build. And the health bar seems like a challenging piece to create. Until you make it seem so easy that is. Keep up the great work man.

Looks good =D I check this thread everyday. lol

And I am KINDA giving up on mine. I'm not getting funded for any of the materials I need (jumpsuit, EL Tape, Hardening Resin, and bondo) and with that in mind, it'll look terrible and I won't have it in time for Halloween. But I'm just going to have it as a project now rather than a Halloween suit. I'm so unhappy =[ But I'm still going to work on it over time.

IN THE MEANWHILE! Keep up the awesome work!

Right gauntlet prototype is done:
6190977893_b1a0926e16_o.jpg

The left one too:
6190977863_93cea4e463_o.jpg

Today I'll be making the belt buckle arrangement and starting on the boots. I'll also be making a whole bunch of molds.

Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back