Thorssoli's Isaac Clarke Engineering Rig from Dead Space 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
EL wire was crap. EL tape is the new hotness. LET THERE BE LIGHT!

6083181336_4311cb0f65_b.jpg

AND I can still see out of it. Woohoo!

Man, That is the New HOTNESS indeed. Bye Bye old and busted!...lol I thought this was appropriate too:

"Will it ever stop yo I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle"

:)

DANG!!! Why do you have to be so good at this stuff! >> Lol, I'm quite jealous. but I have a question... Do you mind if I "steal" your idea of using the EL wire/tape to light up my suit? I haven't heard of the lights before but now I see why you used it. Mind if I use the same idea?

DANG!!! Why do you have to be so good at this stuff! >> Lol, I'm quite jealous. but I have a question... Do you mind if I "steal" your idea of using the EL wire/tape to light up my suit? I haven't heard of the lights before but now I see why you used it. Mind if I use the same idea?

Go nuts, man. It's not really my idea (it's practically what this stuff was invented for) and the whole purpose of the forum is to share tips and tricks on how to make things and make them better.

Go nuts, man. It's not really my idea (it's practically what this stuff was invented for) and the whole purpose of the forum is to share tips and tricks on how to make things and make them better.

=D Thanks. I just didn't want to go off doing it and you thinking "hey, that was my idea." If someone asks me about it, i direct them towards you (about credit, not where to get them). ALSO!! One more thing! It looks like the slits in the helmet are covered with the EL Tape. How do you see out???

There's a gap of about 1/8" at the top edge of the middle slit. It lines up just right with my eyes, so it's actually not all that bad to see through.

oooooh, sneaky guy. lol I love your work with this. I'm a die-hard Dead Space fan and I look forward to seeing the rest... If you're doing the suit?

Okay, so here's the first fully-finished helmet:
6108302898_96e79524f1_o.jpg

Here it is in the dark:
6107755387_cf0b6985ba_o.jpg

Finally, here's a shot showing the inside of the faceplate so you can see the layout of the electroluminescent tape:
6107755357_a1642fd341_o.jpg

Making a 5-foot long strip of tape into three segments less than a foot long increased the brightness by quite a bit. The only difficult part was making the connections at the ends. That stuff is pretty sensitive, you can't solder onto the power contacts, and it starts to deteriorate on contact with air.

When I wire up the next one, I'll get some step-by-step photos so you can see how I overcame all of these issues.

Now I need to get to work on the torso parts.

Awesome work, thank for showing the lights =] It'll help a ton. But how do you know how to solder the EL Tape? Do you use regular rosin-core lead solder or something else?

Also, you being an inspiration to me, would you like to see my Hazard Engineer suit progress real quick? I've been working on the RIG and shoulders. I would really appreciate it =]

P.s. I hope my constant questions and comments don't bother you. I love this game and to see someone do THIS well with the suit is astonishing.

At first I was like :| meh, then I was like o_0 wha... then I was like :O ooooh! and then I was :D awesome!

I couldn't help but notice that you have incredible helmets just dangling off the ceiling of your shop! This is a great build, I hope the whole suit comes together!

Awesome work, thank for showing the lights =] It'll help a ton. But how do you know how to solder the EL Tape? Do you use regular rosin-core lead solder or something else?

Also, you being an inspiration to me, would you like to see my Hazard Engineer suit progress real quick? I've been working on the RIG and shoulders. I would really appreciate it =]

P.s. I hope my constant questions and comments don't bother you. I love this game and to see someone do THIS well with the suit is astonishing.

Don't worry about the questions and comments. Comments are like project fuel for me. It's good to know that someone appreciates what I'm doing.

As far as questions go, there's a lot of this stuff that I might not think needs explaining or I might be unclear about what I'm doing. If I need to clarify something, please feel free to ask all you want.

There is no soldering for EL tape. If you add heat to it, you'll burn holes through it. Instead, you basically have to clamp the wires onto the conductors and then glue them in place. Then seal the whole thing up with tape.

I looked at your RIG progress pics. Looks like you're off to a good start. If you decide you'd like to spend money on your helmet instead of building one completely from scratch, I'm willing to sell raw casts from my mold.

Thorssoli, you've done it again. Fantastic work, and I love how you've used the EL tape. Speaking of the EL tape connections, I saw what I thought was a cool product a while back, called Wire Glue. They describe it as conductive glue for use in place of solder in "low voltage" applications. I couldn't tell you how good it is, but it sounds to me like it just might be suited for those EL tape connections, if it's got a strong enough hold and low enough resistance.

Don't worry about the questions and comments. Comments are like project fuel for me. It's good to know that someone appreciates what I'm doing.

As far as questions go, there's a lot of this stuff that I might not think needs explaining or I might be unclear about what I'm doing. If I need to clarify something, please feel free to ask all you want.

There is no soldering for EL tape. If you add heat to it, you'll burn holes through it. Instead, you basically have to clamp the wires onto the conductors and then glue them in place. Then seal the whole thing up with tape.

I looked at your RIG progress pics. Looks like you're off to a good start. If you decide you'd like to spend money on your helmet instead of building one completely from scratch, I'm willing to sell raw casts from my mold.

I really do wish i could, itd save me so much time... But apparently, no one likes to hire 17-year-olds in South Jersey, so I have no income for it. =[ And thanks for checking it out. Means a lot =] I just hope I had better materials and experience to do this stuff with no limitations.

One more question... =X.... When you cut the EL Tape, how do you expose the wires? If possible, could you post pictures of it when you do the next helmet?

Dude you are crazy good! that took you like no time at all! just outta curiosity (cuz i was kinda just scanning) this was a scratch build right? looked like it in the first couple photos. love your work man. . . and one last thing. . .

I saws a warthog. . .

Your work is nothing less than amazing. good build

while going threw your pics my G/f noticed the gnomes & was like "Ive seen those gnomes f/s before & almost bought one"
after some quick research i found out you made them. small world

I really do wish i could, itd save me so much time... But apparently, no one likes to hire 17-year-olds in South Jersey, so I have no income for it. =[ And thanks for checking it out. Means a lot =] I just hope I had better materials and experience to do this stuff with no limitations.

One more question... =X.... When you cut the EL Tape, how do you expose the wires? If possible, could you post pictures of it when you do the next helmet?

Will do. I've got two more of these I'm going to be finishing up completely. One for me and one for ebay (to help pay for this whole project).

Dude you are crazy good! that took you like no time at all! just outta curiosity (cuz i was kinda just scanning) this was a scratch build right? looked like it in the first couple photos. love your work man. . . and one last thing. . .

I saws a warthog. . .

Scratch build, yes.

I bought the warthog to satisfy my long-standing desire to own one. I don't thing it will work though. It's too small, and I'm still surrounded by enough automotive parts to build a full-sized one. I've been trying to talk myself out of starting that project for two years now. So far none of my friends have helped to talk me out of it.

Your work is nothing less than amazing. good build

while going threw your pics my G/f noticed the gnomes & was like "Ive seen those gnomes f/s before & almost bought one"
after some quick research i found out you made them. small world

Yep. I'm the Combat Garden Gnome guy...
306957_1959554834924_1424378313_31793402_2317576_n.jpg

303284_1959589115781_1424378313_31793425_7917993_n.jpg

I'm selling them in my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thorssoli

Odd to think that after all of the cool stuff I've made, it's garden gnomes that are making me famous.

Back on topic: I'm starting the chest and back portions of this costume today.

Stay tuned...

Back on track, I made the rib portions today. After a lot of looking at the references, I decided I could get away with just repeating six unique pieces six times each to get all of the parts I needed. Here's the six different parts lined up:
6135083845_df48712e7c_o.jpg

They're cut from MDF and the raised portions are sheet styrene scraps I had laying around. Here's a shot of the parts all coated with textured paint:
6135631826_238166c5c0_o.jpg

I'll be making a vacformed section for the black parts that connect these pieces together. That'll make more sense as I get it done.

I also completed the prototype for the widget that sits below the neck:
6135631768_aae1fbbc8c_o.jpg

Here it is in primer:
6135631800_a96e1ed5d4_o.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be starting on the sculpt for the upper back and lower spine. Stay tuned...

I started blocking out the main shapes of the upper back piece:
6139548370_182e36f80b_o.jpg

After a few hours' work, it looked like so:
6139548316_683623efa2_o.jpg

Turns out I got carried away and did more than just blocking in the rough shapes. Here's a closer shot:
6139548242_bfefd61951_o.jpg

I also poured the rubber to mold the repeating parts of the chest:
6139548200_fb91b2fe17_o.jpg

More to come. Stay tuned...

Looks great Thor. Should be the best one around when it's finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back