reach: my first foam build, or any for that matter (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
*this is a work in progress, i forgot it in the title, and ill be slowly adding to it over the next year*

hey everyone, thought i'd put up some pics of the mass build I'm starting for my friends and myself. i was originally going to pep and glass everything, but after searching around and seeing the foam builds on here, i just new what i was going to do. i took a lot of inspiration from Timecon and Nick Nack Patty Wacks builds in my initial start up. so far i have a mock up chest about 50% finished detail wise. anyway, here are the pics of what i did today on my chest piece.
IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

the right was my initial mock up, i did everything by hand without measuring and about half way said screw that, i have to make multiples of these, so i used a pep file for the left.
IMG_3021.jpg

comin together
IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

started to add the under suit looking part
IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

the back still needs a lot of detail, and even tho this prob wont be one of the final pieces i even use, im going through all the work so i know what im doing later
IMG_3028.jpg

im pretty happy with how it fits, it is a little hard to get out of, but other than that, im pretty happy with it

i have to fix my car tomorrow, then ill be working for about a week, but ill try to check back whenever i can, leme know what you guys think :)

i have decided to redo another chest with the game true back section, i mainly did this first one for sizing purposes

ya haha, it is, of any kind really. the only thing helping me is i have worked around xactos most my life cuz my dad owns a custom paint shop that i work at.

sorry for the lack of updates, i've been pretty busy at work. i've started pepping the grenadier helm and hopefully its the right size because i scaled it down some, but it seems like it should be just right. when i get the chance ill upload some pics of it.

a note on the foam armor, after looking at other peoples solutions to painting and sealing the foam, and talking with my dad, ive decided when all the pieces are finished, i am going to bed line all the pieces, before anyone says whoa that wont work, this isnt ordinary pep boys spray can bed liner. It comes in one gallon cans, is a two part system, and is avail. in a variety of colors. it sprays on extremely thick (maybe an 1/8") and fairly smooth, and when it cures fully is extremely durable, but still pliable like a hard rubber. It never gets rock hard like some, and this crap can practically stop a knife. so itll add tons of strength to all my pieces, and give everything a rugged look where i want it, and a smooth finish where i dont of i simply brush it on. only draw back is its close to 100 bucks a gallon even with my dad's cost, though all five suites shouldnt need more than 2 gallons.

0_0 Good for you dude, $200 on sealant, I don't have the balls :p
Btw, looking fine, this is encouraging me for my impending foam build

haha, ya, it is expensive, but i think in the long run it will be worth it, cuz its still paint able, and tough as nails, i could prob run over it after its coated and it'd just bend around haha.

im glad to be encouragement for someone else, that's awesome, thank you.

btw this is the kind of stuff ive been busy with :l
253232_259527940739922_100000481552869_1069194_3757450_n.jpg

it isnt finished, but i think you can all get the idea :cool

sorry for the double post yall, i just wanted to get some pics of my helm pepping. this will be the first helm ive ever pep'd or full piece in general i should say. ive learned from when i started a shin before, i like loctite super control gel superglue much more than hotglue for initial construction and tight little areas.

IMG_3029.jpg

back of the gren helm, and partial of the visor
IMG_3030.jpg

a closer pic of the detail
IMG_3031.jpg

full back pic.
the pep is a tiny bit warped in spots, but nothting i wont fix later, if it the right size or even the helm i decide to rock when finished.

Every thing looks great. I can't wait to start my build. I look forward to watching you build yours.

hey thanks for the compliment man. i know i dont have much at the moment, but im slowly getting things finished.

Update***
so i finished (98%) the pep work on my grenadier helm. im pretty happy with it, but it may be a tad small for my huge nogin. i will be finishing and molding this, and probably any helm i make tho.
I also started on the next version of my chest which is in one of the pics, and only about 50% together. anyway, leme know what you all think on the pep work plz.
175764_263764020316314_100000481552869_1086921_7149585_o.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

im still missing one little piece above the visor, but my back is too sore to finish it right now.
IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

all in all im extremely excited about all of this and cant wait to finish

umm i use two and a half or so for the complete thing, including the inner undersuit part. but even scaled down the tmeplates i made are to big depth wise (from chest to back) so im guna trim some stuff and see, and after that itd pro only take about two pads total.

*update*
got resin on my helm, and talked to my dad about a crazy primer that goes on almost as thick as "rondo" and dries hard as jb weld lol. so when i can afford it ill be getting some to work on my helm with.

nice blackblood, did you start a thread yet?

No not yet I am building up pictures and information first. Are you going to use that primer on just the helmet or are you going to use some on your armor too?

if it is as strong as i hear it is, i will try a few coats on one of my mock up chests and then see how much abuse it will take before it cracks.

if it is as strong as i hear it is, i will try a few coats on one of my mock up chests and then see how much abuse it will take before it cracks.

I haven't heard of a primer that is strong that can be applied on foam. Foam will flex. Your first concern is will paint stick to the foam because foam soaks paint like crazy.. I believe the common solution is to use Plasti Dip. I applied two coats on my kids ODST torso and painted it. We bend and flex the torso and see no visible cracks on the paint.

thanks for the concern and the info coolc, but i'm not really worried about the flexing or soaking, my intention with it is to coat the parts of the armor that in reality (if it were real) would be rigid, the armor plating, because if it is as strong as it is supposed to be, it would be as if i fiber glassed it and had the foam underneath. I have access to all sorts of paint products, sealers, adhesion promoters, the works because i work with my dad doing custom paint and fabrication.
If it doesnt work, oh well it was just an experiment, if it does, then awesome, i'll be able to achieve the look i was going for.

automotive primer sprayed through a gun can be sprayed much thicker than a spray can depending on the gun used, and the normal waterbase primer we usually use is about as thick as one coat of brushed on resin, just much smoother of course.

agian thanks for the info though, i was originally going to go the plasti dip route till i talked to my dad. i learn something new from him everyday it seems, and i still feel like a kid whenever i talk to him hahaha.

If it doesnt work, oh well it was just an experiment, if it does, then awesome, i'll be able to achieve the look i was going for.

If it does work, please post more info about the name of the product and maybe some pictures of the results. I am always interested in new products that work with foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back