JFO helmet build work-log (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why'd you go and make the pretty helmet look all dirty!? Just kidding, I think you did make the right choice with the worn look. To me though, and I guess I really do have a gripe now, it is a little bit overdone. Perhaps more subtle would've suited it better. I'd have to see it in person though to really judge that I guess. Anyhow, looks fantastic otherwise and thanks for providing that link for me. It really helps me out!

Thanks a lot Kadus27, though I cannot claim the build is perfect (little truly is). I grabbed the face-plate from Fay Myers Motor through through Amazon.com (Product info: HJC AC-11/CL-Max/CL-14 RST Mirrored Shield Blue 847-450). I don't know that it's any larger than normal...the pepakura model is slightly off with regard to the face-plate and its opening. There should be a lip around the opening that's not in the model, which decreases the required size of the face-plate. Good luck with your build! Looking forward to checking it out.

yeah, you're right about there not being that section not being on the pep file
though i found i was reasonably easy to sketch the details/visor "border" onto the pep helmet to help visualise where it all should be
E:updated
img17621i.jpg

red is what's missing on the pep file, blue is the visor details
both sketched by hand

and will definately be reviewing this build when i find the time for mine
CJ
E:i'll try and get a side shot to illustrate what i mean
but will leave this image here for now [/threadjack]

yeah, you're right about there not being that section not being on the pep file...

It is pert easy to account for as long as you remember it. Our lip is a bit more pronounced than that of the game model's but I think it looks good that way.

Awesome! I'm going to build one very soon :D
Do you have any tips on what to use to keep the visor in place?

Cool, will keep an eye out for your progress thread. Check out the week #2 entry for what was used to hold the face-plate in.

Im sorry if this is a really noobish question (i'm new to this) what did you use for the visor? I would be really nice if someone told me.

Im sorry if this is a really noobish question (i'm new to this) what did you use for the visor? I would be really nice if someone told me.

We used a motor cycle face-shield.

Since you are new to the forums (and presumably the hobby) you may want to create a list of questions you have. Instead of creating posts to ask these questions though, go through build threads and tutorials and use the advanced search bar to research them and answer them yourself. If you have a question, at the noob-stage of your progression, it is quite likely that others have already asked, answered, or documented it somewhere on the site. The knowledge is out there if you look for it.

This will take time and effort on your part, but if you seek out your own answers you will undoubtedly be forced to read through things. Some of what you read won't have anything to do with what you're trying to find, but it is these things that will give you further insight into the hobby and give you ideas on how to approach certain aspects of your own project. In this way, you'll be finding answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

If you can't find a particular answer on how to do something the other, fun, option is to make something up, and run with your own idea. There are multiple ways of doing everything so you can always play around with new techniques to provide yourself with what you want. If you do this, it's always a great idea to share what you did (and how you did it) with the community so other people can learn from your work...just as you've learned from theirs.

Good luck with you project.

I feel like I have a lot of threads to catch up on, considering that I've missed this one! Incredible work Satchmo, you really ended up with a beautiful helmet. Keep up the great work! :cool

I feel like I have a lot of threads to catch up on, considering that I've missed this one! Incredible work Satchmo, you really ended up with a beautiful helmet. Keep up the great work! :cool

Thanks Spitfire22V! I cannot take all of the credit since I was working with my brother (ionHighlander) on this one...it was great having a work-mate.

Good luck, and have fun, catching up on things!

Have you or are you making any more pulls from the mold you already made? Did you guys add the fan and extra padding in the inside?

I love your neck seal!

hey could you send me a file for that helmet pleas

No. Please review the first post of this thread. The best way to learn about the materials/techniques associated with this hobby and dispense with unnecessary questions is by reading. Good luck with your project!

Have you or are you making any more pulls from the mold you already made? Did you guys add the fan and extra padding in the inside?

I love your neck seal!

I haven't made any more casts yet. I'm going to be moving within a couple of weeks so it will have to wait until that's all done. Padding has been installed but ionHighlander decided to forgo adding a fan on this build.

Glad you like the neck-seal, it went together pretty easily and quickly near the end of the project but it is one of my favorite parts.

Awesome work on the JFO Satchmo! I really like the weathering. Best of luck with your move buddy.

Why does everyone say that the JFO looks like Iron Man? I just don't see it, but maybe it's just me lol. Stunning work on this, I will definitely be using this thread as a reference for my build.

i've been looking really hard and I'm about to give up looking, where did you get the JFO helmet? i've been looking for the pepakura file for a while and no luck, can you show me the link please?

Awesome work on the JFO Satchmo! I really like the weathering. Best of luck with your move buddy.

Thanks, vshore100! Though, I cannot take credit for the weathering as that portion of the project was completed by my brother (ionHighlander). If anyone is interested in checking out more of his work please see his scout helmet build (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33621-Scout-build).

The move went well but I haven't been able to get a foot-hold on any of my builds just yet. It'll come back, though.

the visor detail always reminded me of iron man lol

great job on the helmet looks great.

Thanks, soul products! I see the resemblance.

Why does everyone say that the JFO looks like Iron Man? I just don't see it, but maybe it's just me lol. Stunning work on this, I will definitely be using this thread as a reference for my build.

Thanks, scizor112! It's really just in the face-plate. Maybe if you un-focus your eyes like you're looking at one of the magic-eye pictures you'll pick it up. Good luck with your build!

i've been looking really hard and I'm about to give up looking, where did you get the JFO helmet? i've been looking for the pepakura file for a while and no luck, can you show me the link please?

If not bogus I will suggest you add reading to your search protocols in addition to looking. Not only do I pretty clearly identify the model in the first post of this thread, I also pointed it out four posts before yours (see post #34).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back