MrPinski's Daft Punk Guy Manuel Helmet (TorsoBoy PEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrpinski

Jr Member
I began this months ago and it's all coming to a close... Here are some pics:
IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

Hey man that's looking pretty awesome! I too am working on a Guy Manuel helmet for a friend. I was just about to post my progress pics... kind of intimidated now! Yours looks really good. I'm at the sanding phase. Do you have plans to add electronics? If so, how crazy are you going to get with the wiring. I promised my friend a basic On/Off switch that turns all the lighting on at once. Nothing fancy. Can't wait to see your finished product.

Ah so that was your/my helmet in the background... I received some progress photos from the chromer of my own DP helmets and saw another, quite familiar looking Guy helmet in the background. I couldn't place it! Glad your work came out so well!

Sorry for the double post.

It looks like you have access to an actual spray booth! That's pretty sweet. Do you work at an AutoBody place? How much did the chroming cost? I'll refrain from posting more questions for now :)

Ah so that was your/my helmet in the background... I received some progress photos from the chromer of my own DP helmets and saw another, quite familiar looking Guy helmet in the background. I couldn't place it! Glad your work came out so well!

Your helmet was at CnC? Was it the big Thomas Bucket?

I had my 2nd gen Guy and my 2nd Gen Thomas were there. They're reasonably scaled, so I don't know about a big helmet... :/

Hmmm... I didnt see a Guy helmet there... I saw a Thomas that looked like a Volpin but 30% bigger and with different ears, it has a set of Volpin gloves with it.

It may have been dimensionally larger than Volpin's, but his is is scaled to his height, mine is scaled to my height (rather, to the height of the person that will be wearing it). These are the helmets that I have at CnC. I also have two sets of my own glove pieces there (that I sculpted and vacuum-formed).

5958522189_0c7f2e5ddc.jpg
DSCN3836 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

5959082080_72a8dd3907.jpg
DSCN3840 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Dude, Awesome freaking helmet! :D It's coming out super clean! I hope my helmet comes out like yours.

I have a few questions,
1) How did you get the lines around the ear and the one going up (Pic #2)? The ones that show depth to the helmet.
2) How did you bondo the ear area? (If even Bondo'd)
3) How did you make the circuit board looking thing?
4) How are you sanding this? Mouse/Palm Sander? By hand? Also, What grit(s) sandpaper are you using?
5) Roughly, How many layers of Bondo did you apply?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to make mine look like the real thing.

Can you take a look @ my Daft punk helmet and give me suggestions/tips or w/e?
Please and Thank you. :D

Sorry for the double post.

It looks like you have access to an actual spray booth! That's pretty sweet. Do you work at an AutoBody place? How much did the chroming cost? I'll refrain from posting more questions for now :)
I don't have a spray booth. I have a backyard and a rattle can. haha
The chrome cost was $250.

Dude, Awesome freaking helmet! :D It's coming out super clean! I hope my helmet comes out like yours.

I have a few questions,
1) How did you get the lines around the ear and the one going up (Pic #2)? The ones that show depth to the helmet.
2) How did you bondo the ear area? (If even Bondo'd)
3) How did you make the circuit board looking thing?
4) How are you sanding this? Mouse/Palm Sander? By hand? Also, What grit(s) sandpaper are you using?
5) Roughly, How many layers of Bondo did you apply?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to make mine look like the real thing.

Can you take a look @ my Daft punk helmet and give me suggestions/tips or w/e?
Please and Thank you. :D
1) I used the ball-end grinder bit from my dremel kit and just had at it. Because of how deep they are, I put a bunch of bondo behind where the seams would be so I wouldn't penetrate through the helmet completely, I then took some folded sandpaper and smoothed it out a bit.
2) I just bondo'd and sanded the ears... (maybe I don't get the question)
3) The boards were PDFs sent to me by Harrison Krix (Volpin) and I took them to a trophy shop and had them cut into a piece of plastic. I then put them in behind the D-Rings and glued them in place. Then the seam between the circuit board and the D-Ring was filled with a small amount of bondo.
4) I use a rubber sanding block that you can get at most any hardware store and sanding sponges. I use a lot of 100 grit for the main rough sanding, and 300 to smooth things out.
5) 1-2 layers usually do it for me with some spot filling here and there. (I do one section at a time to keep from overwhelming myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back