Rondo vs Fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freelancer521

I am starting my second helmet build, and I was wondering if I shoud experiment with Rondo instead of fiberglassing the inside.

Pros and Cons?
Any thoughts?

My first thought is that there were several threads very recently discussing that exact question. Are you sure you've searched the forums already?

Rondo's quicker but weaker and heavier
Fiberglass takes longer to apply but is more stronger and super lightweight (when compared against Rondo).

Take your pick. :p

I put a thin layer of rondo followed by a layer of fiberglass. Yes, it's heavier, but you can't beat the strength (well, you can, but not cheaply).

You need bondo, and you need resin, and you need fiberglass clothe. If you were going to buy that stuff used to create Rondo for a regular helmet build anyway, then how is it more expensive? *Sorry, not tryin to argue

My first thought is that there were several threads very recently discussing that exact question. Are you sure you've searched the forums already?

I agree. This was discuss to death in many threads. Please search the forum before starting subjects that are common.
rondo is more expensive than fiberglass cloth

I am not sure I agree this as a con. A 1 gal can of bondo cost about $20 at walmart. I'm not sure you can buy the same amount of fiberglass for $20.

I agree. This was discuss to death in many threads. Please search the forum before starting subjects that are common.

I am not sure I agree this as a con. A 1 gal can of bondo cost about $20 at walmart. I'm not sure you can buy the same amount of fiberglass for $20.

Which walmart are you going to? Lol
The little cans of Bondo cost almost $15 at my walmart.
If there's a Harbor Freight in your location I would REALLY recommend that you go there. Suuuuper cheap everything there!
They have 1gal of Bondo for $20. Plus they give you a ****-ton of coupons.
Just my 2cents.

I'm lucky enough to have a farm supply store near my area that sells the 1 gal. of bondo for about $15 and the large resin can for around $25, so making rondo is much cheaper on my end.

You're getting ripped off at your walmart, every one near me sells the 1 gal for $18.

I'm lucky enough to have a farm supply store near my area that sells the 1 gal. of bondo for about $15 and the large resin can for around $25, so making rondo is much cheaper on my end.

You're getting ripped off at your walmart, every one near me sells the 1 gal for $18.

Yeah I agree, if you're paying more than 18 or 19 dollars for a gallon of bondo then you're over paying. Every Walmart I've been to recently has had bondo for about 20 bucks, usually a little less. Home Depot is a little bit more expensive by 5 dollars or so.

Ben Streeper has me sold on rondo. It is heavier, but is easier to work with and you can carve through the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back