Solaris® CLEAR Silicone Encapsulation Rubber - Visors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iancorrao

So I got an email today from Smooth-On about a new product - Solaris® Silicone Encapsulation Rubber perhaps people have seen this before. Maybe not. And I know some will say, "Dude enough with trying to cast your visor! Just vaccuum form it!" Which I did finally assmble my vaccuum former last weekend and plan to give it a go soon. But this stuff sounded cool because it has no toxic VOCs, which is a bonus for us hobbyists working in our garages or basements. After reviewing the price, you could easily build a vaccuum former and buy a few sheets of plastic for the price of one sample bottle. So it a pricey "POSSIBLE" option. It is a silicone rubber though so I'm wondering how it would work with a silcone mold. My guess is not well. And when it cures, would it be super floppy rubbery? But if someone (no not me) were to come up with a nice test and casting method, this seems like a safer alternative from breathing dried Night-shades spray paint when wearing your helmet. Thoughts? Takers? Check out the features:

•Ultra-transparent Solaris® provides excellent UV resistance yet allows maximum transmission of light.
•Solaris® features a low viscosity which allows easy flow in and around complex shapes, providing excellent electrical insulation and shock resistance.
•Solaris® will cure in deep sections or enclosed assemblies without exotherm.
•Solaris® encapsulant contains no solvents and has no VOC’s.
•The hydrolytic stability of Solaris® makes it suitable in high humidity environments and at elevated temperatures.

Anyways, just thought it was an interesting possible visor idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back