Kirrou vs. Hugh Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimsuminab0x

Hey all new to the forum, but I've been researching a lot on pepakura and ODST armor. Quick question, which version would you recommend for in-game accuracy of an ODST armor? I know Hugh Holder's version is a bit different than Kirrou's version.

One more question, which glue is quick and easy to use for pepakura, I started using Krazy Glue but that stuff is frustrating me because I have to hold the tab there for a while before it adheres. Would using hot glue gun be easier? Any help would be great thanks guys! I'll start a new build thread once i get started!:cool

they both have very very good files kirrou's helmet file is easy to build but his gauntlet file is a little tricky to build but you can mix files from both to complete your suit and I recommend tacky or white glue. I used white glue to build my pepakura helmets.

If you try using Loc tite super glue gel, it usually sets in seconds, the runny stuff is a pain to work with, Hot glue works well also, just got to deal with the spider web things so its a little messy not to mention burned fingers, If I get super glue stuck to my fingers I just use sand paper and sand it off it actually works, It beats burned finger tips, I think the white glue is regular white glue you just apply it with a tooth pick real thin so it dries up quicker but it probably dries about the same amount of time it takes for runny super glue to dry, it may even take a bit longer

The runny super glue is the best choice in my opinion. You can pour that into seams after you hold the pieces together in the right position, which can be a big advantage. It should also dry (or cure, more precisely, because it reacts with moisture) within seconds, just as fast as the gel. If it doesn't, it might simply be too old.

I always just use the gel, as you can mess with the tab, and move it around, to make sure it sets in just the right place.

I happen to know Kirrou in real life. And I'll say one thing. He is always making a fuss over the accuracy of his files. XD He also does his best to make the unfold easier on people.

I happen to use Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive. Its no run, mess free, with a precision tip. sets in seconds, dries clear. works well for all my projects

Both Kirrou's and Hugh's files are extremely accurate, they are just from 2 different games. Hugh's files were modeled based on the ODST from Halo 3, while most of Kirrou's were modeled after Halo 3: ODST. It really depends on which version you are trying to build, as they are designed very differently.

On a side note, I use the Loctite Control Liquid. You get very accurate control, and as Ventrue mentioned, it dries very quickly, typically within seconds.

-Matt

I agree that both Hugh's and Kirrou's files are great. Kirrou's gauntlets are a bit more detailed and will require less finishing work, but, being a fan of modular construction myself, Hugh's assembly method is top notch. So, a mixture of the two would work great.

As far as glue, I use Elmer's White Glue. It's cheap, non-toxic, won't stick your fingers together like super glue, and won't burn you like hot glue. I honestly don't see why people have a problem with this glue.

Personally if I ever get around to an ODST build, I'll just mix files and see what works best.

I use hot glue, but I'm also a bass guitarist, so I have really tough callouses on my fingers, so the burning doesn't really hurt.

I use hot glue, but I'm also a bass guitarist, so I have really tough callouses on my fingers, so the burning doesn't really hurt.

I know all about that. I'm a farmer, a machine shop worker, a gym freak and a guitar player as well so I have crazy callouses. :p

I would go with a mix of both files because I like certain parts more than others from each creater, but it's really just a matter of preference.

Be very careful with hot glue though. I no longer have half of my fingerprint on my left thumb because of a hot glue gun while building a pep helmet a year ago.

Using a low temp glue gun helps to avoid getting burned. That and a little common sense doesn't hurt either. It's what I use and haven't had any problems.

Kirrou does have a Low Definition(LD) helmet to use for test fitting/sizing and makes a good practice pep piece.

I think Kirrou was going to make some Reach ODST don't think he has yet.

Hugh has a few additional optinional parts to make some of the different variations of the helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back