A 14 Year Old's Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDIT: Go to page 9 for the "finished armor!"

Ok, now Ive been wanting to do this for quite some time now, a halo reach foam build! Now Once I started this method, I was already astounded how 2 minutes with foam, hot glue, and an exacto knife could equal an hour of pep work! (detail wise).
I plan on making a suit that resembles my Halo reach in-game armor but since theres no CQC helmet pep file yet(sigh), i decided to go with an ODST hemet.

Now for the pictures, plus a video!
dscf0010.jpg

dscf0011.jpg

I added foam neck detailing that was inspired by Nick Nack Patty wack's build. Im really glad about the results!
dscf0012.jpg

Helpful tips and criticism are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice build so far, the one nice thing is that you can sand the foam to get rid of the excess hot glue.liquid latex or plasti-dip spray can be used as a sealer that hardens without losing the flexibility and its also alot easier to paint.

update time!
so i worked on a knife and sheath but the knife seemed too long for my size in my opinion, even when its scaled down. plus i made it out of foam and cardboard. it turned out pretty good.
dscf0015.jpg

dscf0016.jpgv
dscf0016.jpg

the bad part about using foam for the knife, is that it has only 1 good side unless you cut the other side flawlessly, which i couldn't do.
dscf0017.jpg
dscf0018.jpg
so now i plan on making another one out of wood. the gallon paint mixer things that they give away at lowes works perfectly with the size of the knife but its a bit thinner so im going to have to remake the sheath.
helpful tips and criticism are welcome

all i have to say, is that you have some really good work going for you right there and i cannot wait to see more. and try putting a piece of foam right there for the stomach plate so there isnt a big hole. always looks better :)

dude, that is FANTASTIC work! You just put a bunch of older members to shame! (myself included. :p) My only comment is that there are a few gaps the need filling. But aside from that.... wow, just great work there. Can't wait to see you do the rest! I'm hoping it'll be equally epic!

Just a little update, the knife is turning out pretty good, but the dremel is starting to wear out D: gunna have to buy a new cutter.
dscf0019.jpg

comparison:
dscf0020.jpg

ok, now im not sure if i should use the foam as a hand gaurd or make a wooden one.

OK, i finished carving the blade, and here's how it looks, any other details i'm missing?
dscf0021.jpg

dscf0022.jpg

OK, now i wasn't able to post this earlier, but here's me wearing the torso. Do you guys think i sized it right?
dscf0024.jpg

helpful tips and criticism are welcome!

It looks right. Might be a bit snug depending on what you use for the undersuit though. That chest is amazing as well. A bit of sanding and it'll look epic with a decent paint job. Well done.

your build looks really nice. And yes, the scale looks really good to me also.:)

Ha that's funny about the paint mixer thing, I work at Lowe's and was legitimately thinking the EXACT same thing this morning. It would be the perfect size for the knife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back