Clay Carmines Helmet in... CLAY. The begginning of something awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man. I think its just the photo. Had a long hard look and it seems to be alright. :D. Thanks for the input though! Cheers.

100_8234.jpg

100_8235.jpg

100_8237.jpg

100_8238.jpg

100_8233.jpg

Pretty much finished with the sculpt. Silicone is ordered. Getting closer to done guys. I added the bullet scrape mark to on the helmet. Doesn't look to good at the moment, but it should when painted. :D.

Whatcha's think?

Cheers, Dave.

You have really progressed far from the start. I saw this thread when it was first posted, and I didn't think much of it, but now that I took a good look at this, I am very impressed. You are putting so much detail into this piece of art it is remarkable. I have played a little bit of GoW, but from what I can tell, this thing is spot on. I will for sure be checking this thread more often. Well done!

Thanks man! It's crazy looking back on it and seeing just how bland and... Well, lets face it, bad it looked. But I think I'm finally getting it to a astage that I am happy with. I'm prepping it for moulding as we speak. Look forward to seeing it painted next time, or at the least casted/moulded. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

Looks awesome. You really did a great job on this. I especially love all the detail work.

I'm with thorn, the detail is unbelievable!! I'm glad to see that you got to a point to where you can consider it finished. You did an outstanding job on this thing buddy!!

-Matt

Okay. After hours upon hours of silicone slushing and getting high on fibreglass fumes. I got the mould done, and the first cast pulled! Everything I learnt from the other mould (Jun) that I screwed up was applied here, there is no airbubbles, minimum flashing and Its a nice clean mould. Not to mention I only wasted a tiny amount of silicone to drippage! Booyaka! Pics wil be up later! Thanks guys.

The pull looks sweet. It's nice to see that all you're time and hard work paid off in the end for you, And I can't wait to see what it looks in paint.

WOOHOO!!! Congratulations!! Yes, that is a beautiful feeling! Looks great!! Don't hold out on us, though, let's see the whole thing!! Also, can you go into a bit more detail on how you made the mold? Looks like your jacket is definitely a two-parter, but I'd love to hear (read) how you did it. Any progress pics of that part? Again, congrats!!

Well, I actually recorded the entire process. And am planning to upload it as a tutorial somewhere along the line. :D. But until I get round to editing and voicing over it I guess words shall have to do. :D.

You are correct! Its a 2 parter, I was originally going to do a 1 but I've had bad experience with tearage so I thought I better not.

To start with I set up a clay divider, I guess a sort of channel thing around the entire mould And dented some keys into the channel to serve as keys into the other side of the silicone. This would also serve as the seam of the join. I then poured 200 ml of Silicone and another 200 just to get the surface covered (I used a paint brush to get into the details and avoid airbubbles forming. Next I used more silicone (can't remember how much) and mixed it with ground up silicone from an old mould (I use a meatgrinder) This works as a kind of filler and makes your new silicone go a lot further. Few layers of that, until all I could feel when I pressed on the silicone was silicone and not a hard clay underneath. Whew. Next was the mould keys. In order to do that I filled a cup with the ground silicone and then poured the new stuff in there, It bonded together and worked a charm. All you need to do after that is cut them up into qaurter circles. :D. Bond them to the mould and that side was done. I try and spread the keys out around points that are likely to sag. :D.

I then peeled of the clay barrier and refined where it had sat. Peeled of the drippage of silicone that had gotten past my diligent eyes. From there I set up a new barrier of clay to work exactly like the other one. Just in reverse, This was a bit of a problem as the clay does not bond to silicone well, In the end I used Vaseline to plug up the edges. (worked a charm!). Then I just repeated what I'd done to the otherside, in reverse. Making sure to get all the details. Also should not that I used a mould release to make sur the silicone seperated easily.

Now The mothermould. I cut up an icecream container and used those pieces as shims. I slid them carfeully between the 2 pieces of silicone, but not too far, otherwise it will push apart the keys and make a massive gap later on. From there I lathered the shims in Vasaline (seems to be the only thing that really works for fibre glass). :D. Then I fibreglassed that side. Let it set, reversed the mould, Trimmed the edges, pulled out the shims and fibreglassed the other side. Then, trim. Took ages to get it all done, but when I pulled the silicone off and saw how good it looked I was pretty happy, well worth it. :D.

Hope that was enlightening! :D.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Dave.

Don't know how long before the footage will be up, but I'll try and get onto it ASAP. :D

That first pull came out just great man!! Congrats on a job very well done buddy.

-Matt

Hey guys, little update for everyone!

Painted, needs a bit more work done on it, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, blue could be darker, and so could the silver, but you can't win them all.

100_8329.jpg

100_8328.jpg

100_8327.jpg

Oh and....

100_8318.jpg

100_8317.jpg

The plan is to vaccuum form the eyes and the nob things at the back in clear plastic, then dye them blue and backlight them with LED's. After this of course I'll pad it out and then, hopefully, I can call it done.

Thanks guys.

Cheers, Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back