Clay Carmines Helmet in... CLAY. The begginning of something awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ribbon tools are incredible. :D. The mini ones are even better. I'm only 16 too though man. And this is my first sculpt. :D. Just take your time and make sure all the proportions are good before you start detailing. :D. Its a pain having to fill the details in to change something by a centimetre. :D. Oh yeah! Qaulity takes time for sure! :D.

Cheers, Dave.

haha well then it really is close competition ;) yeah im basically making sure all my proportions are ready and smoothing out everything before detailing beacuse that just means i dont have to worry about accidentally filling in the detail when smoothing afterwards, but dayum smoothing is taking ages! :p im using this wire tool which seems to do the trick, got the dome nice and... dome-y and smooth :p

I fyou're American, they have them anywhere that sells Kemper Tools, if you're Aussie. Goodluck. I had to order mine from the states, along with some other stuff. Shipping alone cost me 40 odd bucks. :/.

ouch, do you recon you could post picks from up close on the smoothed areas that you used the finishing rubber on when you next update? i use a wire tool and its gets pretty smooth but not as much as id like :p

@Golem. Yeah man I'll definately post some pics of just how smooth you can get it! :D.

@Jbetts. Thanks man!

I'll update soon, I got to study for a test and some other school related shenanigans. But i'm remodelling the eyebrows, I wasn't happy with them, and I'm adding more and more details. :D.

Cheers fellas! :D.

Update time fellas! So i did a lot more detailing on the front and i think its looking pretty good. Lot mor to go. But its getting closer. :D.

100_8203.jpg

100_8204.jpg

100_8205.jpg

100_8207.jpg

100_8208.jpg

That is a section smoother with ribbon tools (on the left) and with finishing rubbers (on the right). Its smooth as! :D.

100_8209.jpg

The rubbers, black ones are hard, blue ones are soft. And the other is a tool that i've been using alot. :D.

Tell me what you guys think, proportional corrections? What looks good/not good. Hit me with your best shot!. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

sweet! im nto sure it ill need the finishing rubber :p by the looks of it its as smooth as i get it with my wire tools, but i bet its faster to get it to that stage with the rubber. looking great! looks like youve really started sorting some of the symmetry problems :D the more details you add the exier it looks ;) i do still notice that the brow seems crooked tho but you seem to be working out the other problems slowly :) I just bought a butt load of new tools myself :p its so much easier when you have the correct tools :D

The right tool for the right project makes it that much easier! The Rubbers are definately worth the dollar twenty they cost me. :D. Great things. And the brows! My god, if there was anything that is nearly impossible, it would be them. I'll get em though. Eventually. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

well hey if youre hacing trouble trying to get it perfectly syymetrical or see something wrong but dont quite know what is why dont you try shoving those photos you took of it into photo shop, you can then edit in lines to make sure theyr level or to gague how much you need to add on, you can also use it to make sure slants are the same angle by making a line for one slant and mirroring it for the opposite side! :D just some friendly advice incase you didnt already know :p

@ golem

Thanks man, I think I'm gradually getting there. :D.

Update fella's, but this time one of the 1,300 people that have viewed this thread need to say something, is it good? Do you guys like it? Should i go an jump off a building? ETC. :D.

Anyway, got more detailing on the front done, will move on to the back soon. :D.

100_8210.jpg

100_8211.jpg

100_8212.jpg

Enojoy. And Say something. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

wow 1,300 views :p ive got like 200... and 2 comments :D anyways at least you got one person who follows your thread :) looking great dude! you add details so much faster than i do :p my thread updates like once in a blue moon, looks like all there is left to do on the front is to clean up some of those curves!

You've come along ways since I last seen it. It's looking great, The fine line details are starting to come out. For a first time sculpting project you're doing awesome.

I'll pass on one thing to you before I leave tho, bottle caps work great for circles. I'm not sure if the front one is a milk cap or Gatorade cap, but it will help with getting them symmetrical. cookie cutters work great too.

well till next time, I hope you're build continues to grow into the greatness that I know you can do.

Just absolutely great!! Just by looking at the front, it definitely shows the amount of work and patience that goes into this kind of project. Great work!!

-Matt

@Golem

Oh yeah man! Its getting there. Cleaning up the curves will take ages though, so I'll do that in the next pass, moving onto the back now. :D. Love detailing with clay, so much easier than anything else. :D. P.S Thanks for following through the journey from terrible to decent. :D.

@Thorn696

Thanks man! Sculpting takes way longer than i thought it would. But its rather rewarding. :D. Circle templates are hard to find in the right size. :D. I ended up using some drill bits (the hole saw ones) and just digging through the draw to find the right size ones. :D. Worked well, I might go into a plumbing store and get some off cuts of all the different sizes,, just for templates. :D. Stay tuned man, and thanks for the positive input. :D.

@spartanx360

Thanks man, I've had no previous training in this. :D. Just hard work and determination. Symmetry is as good as i can get it i think, it might be out by a little bit, but if it is when I'm done, I guess I'll just shave it down. :D.

@Richie

Thanks buddy! :D.

@mkshane81

Thanks man! :D. The amount of time is incredible, and then you notice one thing wrong, and your like 'Oh damn, need to fix that now'. And a half hour later your like. 'Thank god thats done, but look another bit is slightly out'. Killing me slowly. :D.

@workbook51

Go for it man! Clay is beautiful to work with, costs a bit more initially, but it can be reused so easily plus you don't have to piss fart arse around with it like fibreglass, and its so forgiving. :D. And so easy to detail. Thanks man! You too.

Okay guys, thanks for all the positive feedback, I'll have an update within a week, very keen to get this moving along..

Cheers fellas, Dave out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back