Clay Carmines Helmet in... CLAY. The begginning of something awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
100_8185.jpg

100_8183.jpg

100_8182.jpg

100_8180.jpg

100_8179.jpg

Theres the update, any questions just ask. The proportions are still out by a lot, but i got to head to work real soon, so I'll let you spot them for yourself, just thought you'd all enjoy a couple of progress pics! Getting closer to detailing. :D.

Sorry they look so messy too, the flash of the camera bought out all the little cracks and scars from the tools. :/.

Enjoy, Cheers, Dave.

AWESOME, ive been waiting for an update on this :p oh btw xxcaliber i got my clay too so the 405th should expect another clay helmet built sometime soon ;) looking great man, just as a symmetry check i think the top of the dome on the right side of the pic looking from the front seems to be bigger that on the left side, also the rim that goes around the top of the right side's eye seems to curve out and stick out more than the left.
hope it helps! :D

Thanks man! :D. Awesome as! I look forward to some friendly competition, and also seeing how your method turns out, I'm very interested to see how it works. :D. And thanks for the critiques, just fixed most of that up. :D.

haha yeah i started it today, got about 3 pounds in the pep as i write this :p mine will be a n7 helmet tho, clay carmine wont come up for awhile. I have a list of helmet projects to go through :D

Haha. I reckon, its a bit like that! :D. Is it hard to keep the pep rigid while ou'r esloshing the clay around? Or doesn't it flex all that much? :D.

Cheers, Dave.

well tbh im terrible at pepping so i dont just glue, i tape too :p but the thing is unlike with resin the paper doesnt soak up the molten clay so it keeps its shape awesomely, ive been looking it over for ages and i cant see any signs of warpage. If you do do this method tho i suggest you only melt about half a pound at a time because once you pour in the molten clay it hardens again really quickly so half a pound is more than enough to swirl around in one go. Ill be starting a thread tomorrow on my build :D

Sounds very interesting. If I can ever be bothered Pepping again I might give it a go. :D. This method seems to be working fine at the moment. :D.

ahh dayum dude, seems big :/ althought it might be the right size once you got the armor on seeing as the dudes from GOW are colossi in size :p
but personally id cut it down a bit
back mainly then top a bit

TOP TIP OF THE DAY
if you ever use the pepakura clay method, my top tip of the day is to never let it rest on the side where you poured the newest batch of clay. It made the layers underneath it heat up and soften so the top of the dome of my helmet has warped slightly, i noticed it early on tho so not much warpage, just a small dent :)

I reckon! The guys on Gears are Freakish, and the pictures of Clay have his head basially being the size of the helmet! ITs crazy wierd. I cut it down a fair bit though so I think it will fit. :D.

Thanks for the tip to man! Looking forward to seeing your progress! :D.

you can check it out now if you want the intial photos are up :p cant wait for more progress on yours either. Whats your little art work area like? mines a really crud -.-' ive got a hairdryer the sculpt my laptop and 2 lamps on my dining room table as a studio :p

Just had a squiz, looks pretty damn good man! Sucks with the Mannequin mock up caving in though. :(. Haha. My studio? Is the desk in bedroom, a computer in front of me and the oven in the kitchen. :D. Not the greatest.

Heres and update too. Just what I've been doing lately, started the detailing on the front, after cutting down the size at the back, as of yet I have not done much work on the back of the helmet, getting there, eventually, once I block in a few more details on the front. :D. Tell me what you guys think. Also, the pictures are coming out strange and elongated, so I thought i might do a video for it. :D.

Stay tuned.

100_8189.jpg

100_8193.jpg

100_8194.jpg

100_8195.jpg

(Its on an angle because the base of the model was sitting funny).

Thats it for now. Enjoy.

Cheers, Dave.

wow dude... i thought it looked amazing before but now just wow, even the small amount of details just adds a whole lot of awesome :D im a complete sculpture noob so how did you add the recessed detail on the mouth/chin gaurd?

I just built up the edges with a bit of clay and then shaved it down so that it was nice and sqaure. :D. Wait until you see what else I have planned. :D.

are you going all your own concept? :p because ive seen the scale figure of clay carmine and i dont remember some of those details :p but your add ons look great too :D Also i dont really funny understand what you meant by shaving it down to make it square

On the photos I've found of Clay he's got a slight inset, not as extreme as that one, but slight, I thought I'd just pronounce it more. I'm going to try and stay as true to the original design as i can, but I'm prone to going off and doing my own thing. :D. As for not understanding, I just role out a coil of clay the right size and the layer it where I want some more thickness, and then, using ribbon tools, cut it into the right shape. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. How old are you man? :D.

yeah i just discoverec my ribbon tool :p so yeah i get it now thanks man! and im 16 as of today :p im such a noob tho so my sculpt is no doubt gonna go slower than yours, oh well qualtiy takes time right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back