Clay Carmines Helmet in... CLAY. The begginning of something awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i've been spending some time roughing out the size and proportions of the Clay Carmine helmet. Which has a minute amount of references, but I'l survive. What you are about to see is very very rough. No detailing done yet and half the back of the head missing (ran out of clay). The eyes and that area still need a lot of work before i start doing any proper detailing.

Come with me and join me on this journey! :D. AND TELL ME WHAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED! :D.

100_8178.jpg

100_8177.jpg

100_8176.jpg

100_8175.jpg

100_8174.jpg

It still looks lopsided and unsymmetrical. But its getting closer and closer to the fun part! :D.

Thanks for having a look guys.

Cheers, Dave.

WOW.

looking amazing so far man, i can't wait to see more progress on this! I will have to keep an eye on this one.

keep up the good work!

Thanks guys! And yeah, fingers crossed for the release! :D.

I've order another 10 lbs of clay, so that should be in by Tuesday. :D. While I'm waiting for that though I'll get some of the detailing at the front done. :D.

Cheer fellas!

Besides what You already said was wrong, I would have to say it looks very good. Are you going to use a a one sided card stock cut out to help make it symmetrical or are you going to free hand the whole thing.

Thanks man! :D. Um, I'm not sure, I might free hand it until i get to something that I just can't get right (which will happen eventually i bet). At the moment though i am using callipers when i need the measurements right and various other tool that i have bought. Anyone looking to get into this sort of thing, the right tools make life that much easier! :D. Thats what else I was going to say! Personally i think it looks too big, but I'm not sure on that point yet, I'm thinking I will finish every piece of it roughly, see what the size and scale looks like and the shave what i need to off, if i need to.

Haha, thanks guys!

ahhh dam... youve beaten me to it! Great work so far :p I find it so hard to get symmetry on even the smallest of clay sculpts so kudos to you for getting it this far! The top right of the dome in the picture is higher it seems that the top left, just incase you hadnt spotted it yet :)

Awesome! I love seeing sculpted projects, and yours is starting out very nicely! Yeah, symmetry can be a pain... I actually had to build a custom measuring device to help me out with it (which works beautifully, but is hard to calibrate). Can you please briefly describe how you do it with calipers? I've never been able to figure that out, and the closest thing I've ever seen/heard/read to a description of the process is, "just use calipers."

As for what needs to be fixed, the first thing i notice is in this pic...

100_8174.jpg

The top piece is curved around on the right side, and more or less straight on the left. Also, the bottom slopes upward from left to right. Also, like golem95 said, the dome is a bit crooked on top. That's it for now, good luck, and happy sculpting!

@golem95

Thanks man! I reckon symmetry is the main drawback with doing clay sculpts, I guess with pepakura everything is already proportional but the clay stuff you need to labour through it to get it right. :D. ITs a rewarding process though. I just can't wait to detail it. :D.

Thanks for spotting that! The piece that runs down the middle is out too, its been a real pain in the arse to get right... I'll get it eventually though. :D.

@ Shadowkat

First of all, thanks man! The callipers I've been using just to get a piece on one side the same length/width as that piece on the other side. But I've been thinking recently how it would be easier to do. I started off building up one side, gettin that one side more or less proportionally correct, I then used the callipers to i guess reflect that sculpt from one side to the other. Which gave me a roughly symmetrical look, now it will just be a tonne of shaving little pieces of and gradually chipping away at it until it is perfect. :D.

Thanks for the critique! I'll jump on those spots straight away.

Cheers guys and thanks for the positive input! :D.

yeah pepakura helps with symmetry and proportion, which is why i love insane trooper's clay pepakura method so much. Just like shadowkat, i too love clay sculpts. With a good base they have amazing potential for detail and just... AWESOMENESS :p anyways good luck! ill be watching this and ill try to spot any more symmetry problems in the future too :)

yeah pepakura helps with symmetry and proportion, which is why i love insane trooper's clay pepakura method so much. Just like shadowkat, i too love clay sculpts. With a good base they have amazing potential for detail and just... AWESOMENESS :p anyways good luck! ill be watching this and ill try to spot any more symmetry problems in the future too :)

Well of course you like clay, Golems are made of clay. :D

Im sorry if that was cheesy, I kinda just had too XD

*facepalm. It wasn't that bad... :D.

Haha. Anyway, clay should be in tomorrow or the day after, when it comes in, work will continue. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

what clay do you use? Im going with insane's pepakura clay method but i was wondering if you too use nsp chavant and what hardness if you use it

NSP Medium Tan, slap it in the oven for a while and its beautiful to work with, then once its cooled down extremely easy to carve, wonderful stuff. :D. What is this Pepakure Clay method you speak of? I think a link is in order. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

NSP Medium Tan, slap it in the oven for a while and its beautiful to work with, then once its cooled down extremely easy to carve, wonderful stuff. :D. What is this Pepakure Clay method you speak of? I think a link is in order. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

DOUBLE WHAMMY!
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22762-Noble-Six-Helmet-Wip
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32958-Insanetrooper-s-ODST-Build
Ive bought about 14 pounds of clay to test out insane's method :p
just outta curiosity how do you smooth our your clay?

I had a talk to Sevv about that a while back, He said he uses finishing rubbers with multiple passes. So i went out and bought some, or moreover i ordered it from the states. Works wonderfully. :D. Thanks man! for the threads. Awesome stuff. :D. Also, I think I've got about 16 pounds and i just ran out so.. :D.

Cheers, Dave.

Oh god... The amount of time that method would have saved... Ah well. I hate the damn Pepakure anyway, I also wanted to test how wel I would go getting symmetry and stuff. :D. Thanks again for the links. :D.

yeah i know right? :p i picked up the clay carmine helmet pepakura because i plan on using that method on it after i finish my N-7 helmet :D
oh and the the 16 pounds thing, yes you ran out but the pepakura clay method means that you do not have to build off from the mannequin head thus saving clay as it is a more hollow sculpt that you work with!

Its genius really! :D. I look forward to seeing your build sir! :D. Haha. I gotta split. Shall update this thread probably tomorrow. Best beat is thats when the clay comes in. :D.

Cheers Dave.

P.S Mods, sorry about the above double post, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back