Mark V Helmet in progess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistresscaine

This is my first attempt at building armor. My whole plan is to obviously glue it all together, Fiberglass it, then strengthen it with smoothcast, (i just cant figure out resin) and then move onto the Bondo stage, sand and detail as much as possible and then I am kind of lost on the whole priming and painting stage. I will need help with that later. But if you have any advise now I will take it.
005.jpg

006.jpg

Do you guys use something different??
002.jpg

I went to the Motorcycle store looking for a visor. I wasn't sure I needed to warp my helmet to fit a visor properly so I thought I would go grab one now. I didn't realize that visors are sort of expensive. My jaw hit the floor when he told me the one I wanted was $60 bucks. When I pulled out my helmet (though its far from completed.) Three guys about nerded all over the floor. They never even knew about pepakura, so i sat down with them and told them all about it. I was there a good hour. After all was said and done, they all agreed that what I was doing was way to cool to charge for it. They gave me two colored visors and helmet lining all for free. I lucked out. Ill keep you updated on everything!
Sarah

223025_10150324980083783_619788782_9578843_7189923_n.jpg

Lookin good, Working on a Mrk V (B) myself. Been seeing a lot of people working on this helm and a lot of different pep files, none of them are a 100% accurate though. Got a good plan set ahead of ya, good luck, cant wait to see a finished product

Lookin good, Working on a Mrk V (B) myself. Been seeing a lot of people working on this helm and a lot of different pep files, none of them are a 100% accurate though. Got a good plan set ahead of ya, good luck, cant wait to see a finished product

I am also a perfectionist, and I must say, I dont think anyone has been in theatre staring at the GUNGNIR helmet longer than me. Its just those tiny panel lines and details that bug me. Theres no way to pep stuff that small, so I was wondering if maybe people could start adding tiny slice file details to be added later with foamies and the works. I have seen it done only on ODST files, and I think if the modelers went back, and made their awesome helmets even more awesome, I would just explode. Of course I might just be prone to exploding or "outrageous, spontaneous human combustion", but I am not exagerating.

So I started the bondo Stage. I think next time, I will bondo and sand in stages, its to damn hard to get it to even out when you do the whole thing. I must be doing something wrong. I have done multiple stages of Bondo. I just cant get it to sand evenly. I think i will bondo once more and then just call it quits.

003.jpg

There are just so many divots. that I am confused on what Im doing wrong. I have a dremel, which i will use to clean the edges with, but shouldn't it look better than this? I think maybe i put to thin of a first layer, but im new at this stuff, so its really trail and error at this point.

013.jpg

Now my next question is, do you seal Bondo? I have some smoothcast and a friend of mine said that it may be a good idea to just do a thin layer of smoothcast just to protect it from cracking. Any Ideas?? After that its time for paint!

Sarah

It actually does not look to bad, when you bondo its best to put the bondo down in thin layers then sand and then repeat the same steps over again till you have the shape you are trying to achive, once you have it where you want put spot putty filler on it to fill in any air pocket divits and small uneven areas, spot putty filler is easy to sand by hand this will fill in all of those imperfections all over your helmet. but don't worry the helmet really does not look like you plastered bondo on to thick, but its best to add it only in areas that need it usually you do not have to cover the whole helmet

Also don't seal the bondo with Smooth Cast use primer to seal it with, primer will also show areas that you still need to fix with bondo

Good luck, keep working on it you will get the hang of it

It actually does not look to bad, when you bondo its best to put the bondo down in thin layers then sand and then repeat the same steps over again till you have the shape you are trying to achive, once you have it where you want put spot putty filler on it to fill in any air pocket divits and small uneven areas, spot putty filler is easy to sand by hand this will fill in all of those imperfections all over your helmet. but don't worry the helmet really does not look like you plastered bondo on to thick, but its best to add it only in areas that need it usually you do not have to cover the whole helmet

Also don't seal the bondo with Smooth Cast use primer to seal it with, primer will also show areas that you still need to fix with bondo

Good luck, keep working on it you will get the hang of it

Thank you so much!

Its been a while, But i just havent had the time. So I since i still have no idea what I am doing thought I would take some time to research different painting techniques. Think i have a good plan of my own. So i decided before priming everything, i added all of my battle damage. Just took a bread knife and went to town. After that i used a black auto primer. I like using black because i used to paint the DnD miniature figurines, just a habit i guess, though most people I have read about prefer grey, but i dont think it matters because Im going to cover it all up with my sliver. But ill do that next...

002-1.jpg

004.jpg

So once it was primed, i really wanted to make sure My battle damage was noticeable, though once i do my final coat , it wont look as excessive as it dose in the picture, The chipping off more bondo is just for texture, but i will do another coat of primer before I continue. My plan is to coat the whole thing in a nice titanium/steel color (not a fan of aluminum or chrome, no helmet would be made out of that) Ill use that as my base coat and use a paint brush with petroleum jelly/Vaseline to fill in the battle damage spots. Then ill use my color as the final coats and will rub off the Jelly. What do you think about this "plan???"

005-1.jpg

Your plan sounds just about right and is looking great. You might want to watch adam's painting tutorial (here) starting at about 5:30 he goes into weathering after you rub the jelly off the battle damaged spots.

DONE!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone thinks it looks as good as I do. This is my first attempt at this, so im pretty pleased with my first run at this.

I added a layer of chrome though it dosent look like chrome, so thats why I get for going cheap. I used Vaseline to cover up the scratch marks so it would shine through later. I think i went a little crazy with the battle damage, but oh well.

002-2.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of my progress, but I added a few layers of blue and then covered that all up and added my secondary color. It turned out way to silver so i used a brown wash and i think it worked out. Thank you all for your advise and help.

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Sweet helmet! I happy to see someone else using the smooth cast for structure. Did the same thing on my mk v ce helmet. I have no problem with fiberglass. It's just so much easier to slosh smooth cast in a helmet rather than lay fiberglass piece by piece. Awesome job and keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back