Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sir are an amazing builder. Every new post has my jaw hit the floor. You are inspiring my group to get back to work. Can't wait to see more.

Ooohhh... I'm just getting back into the game of 40K for the first time in years, partly because of this thread. I just saw the Heavy Bolter Marine. Freakin' awesome with the back pack and belt feed set up. Any thoughts about getting that elaborate?

How heavy is that Weapon?
The first chainsword weighed in just over five and a half pounds and the other two are just under that. Not terrible, but they'll be a bit much at the end of an already extended arm.

I don't care that you have a thread already in elite, this one should be right beside it. Your work on this is fantastic as always, and you truly are a great artist.

Is there a limit to the number of threads one person can have in the elite section? I thought LeeKeegan had several. Odd.

You sir are an amazing builder. Every new post has my jaw hit the floor. You are inspiring my group to get back to work. Can't wait to see more.

Good to know I'm helping to keep kids off the streets. 90% of the reason to post here is to encourage other folks to step up their projects. I've been watching your build thread and awaiting updates. Nice to see the new pics today.

Ooohhh... I'm just getting back into the game of 40K for the first time in years, partly because of this thread. I just saw the Heavy Bolter Marine. Freakin' awesome with the back pack and belt feed set up. Any thoughts about getting that elaborate?

I need to start keeping a tally of people who tell me they're getting into (or back into) 40k specifically because they've seen my stuff. You're at least the tenth.

Will I get elaborate? In a word, yes.

Tomorrow I'll begin work on the standard backpack.

I'm planning on building at least three or four of these guys. The first will have a chainsword and a pistol, the second and third will have bolters. The fourth will have a heavy bolter.

The ammo pack and belt will be separate attachments on top of that. The heavy bolter will be built much like I built the chainsword, a vacformed shell to keep the weight down, resin cast parts for details, and a couple of pieces of ABS drain pipe for strength. But to make it elaborate, I'm working out a way to install a propane muzzle flash simulator and a feed mechanism to eject spent brass "casings" as well as a motor with an eccentric weight to make it kick when it fires. I may end up breaking laws with that build.

If I get time to build a fifth one, then it'll get really crazy.

For now, two chainswords are almost done:
6879411223_66be6d7690_o.jpg
I still need to install teeth in the third one. I ran out of casting resin yesterday though, so it'll be a few minutes before I get back to that.

I've also finalized the sculpt for the wings on the chest (finally):
6879424839_5006019e31_o.jpg

Now that it's got its shiny glosscoat, I'll be pouring some silicone on it tomorrow after the paint has dried.

Apologies for the crappy cellphone pics. I left the shop camera behind today.

Stay tuned, I should have some more interesting pics tomorrow...

I need to start keeping a tally of people who tell me they're getting into (or back into) 40k specifically because they've seen my stuff. You're at least the tenth.

The ammo pack and belt will be separate attachments on top of that. The heavy bolter will be built much like I built the chainsword, a vacformed shell to keep the weight down, resin cast parts for details, and a couple of pieces of ABS drain pipe for strength. But to make it elaborate, I'm working out a way to install a propane muzzle flash simulator and a feed mechanism to eject spent brass "casings" as well as a motor with an eccentric weight to make it kick when it fires. I may end up breaking laws with that build.

Going to ask the companies for a comission to get people back into their games? You can add me for Mass Effect and Halo. Funny how I had never played either when I found this site.

Also, the heavy bolter idea sounds heavy, but so worth it. That will be fun to follow the building of. I will be back tomorrow for more!

Chainswords are done:
6885191767_e931a580f2_o.jpg

They're still huge:
6885191827_92121b9ab0_o.jpg

But I'm happy with them:
6885191957_93d78569d4_o.jpg

Here's a closeup shot showing the finish on the teeth:
6885192159_9721726b8e_o.jpg

Here's an earlier shot showing some of the finalized details on the hilt a little earlier in the painting process:
6885191655_424b2ec8bd_o.jpg

While the last bits of painting the chainswords took up a lot of my time today, I also went ahead and made the molds for the wings on the chest. Here's the right side prepped for molding:
6885205409_289de56b25_o.jpg

Here's the silicone print coat poured on:
6885205467_694f91fe9b_o.jpg

Once the print coat had set up, I layered on some brushable (pink) silicone:
6885205559_53ddce70d1_o.jpg

The last step was to pour on a smoothing layer of pourable (purple) silicone to hold it all together:
6885205631_427a53ea9b_o.jpg

Tomorrow I'll start sculpting the neck parts. I've ordered the rubber to make them, so I really ought to get to work.

I'll take 2!
Seriously thou nice work so far do keep it up so I can drool some more, your making me want to hid my ity bity shed again to work on my own stuff.

Thorssoli, all i have to say is wow. I am loving this thread, i have been off the forums for a bit, and im glad i came back in time to see this. I love warhammer 40k so this is going to be one of my favorite threads to keep watch of. The armor looks great (huge too) and the weapons look pristine. Keep up the great work! i look forward to seeing more :)

Thanks for the compliments. It definitely helps to keep me motivated knowing that people are still reading along.

I made a bit of progress yesterday. First, I finished the last rubber pour for the chest wings:
6891844727_7103cf3dbf_o.jpg

I also made a solid start on the sculpt for the neck seal:
6891844893_499fd97646_o.jpg

Again, the wearer will be looking out through the character's throat, so the "neck seal" will actually be more of a hood:
6891844787_daca4466f3_o.jpg

The plan is to slipcast the whole thing in latex and replace a couple of portions with a dense mesh fabric so the wearer can see out.

Finally, while I was doing all that my friend Matt got started on the forms for the next weapon:
6891844643_1b89cd56a7_o.jpg

It too will be large:
6891844535_47b03b514e_o.jpg

The plan is to make the bolt pistol in much the same way as we made the chainswords.

Today I'll make some more progress on the neckseal, lay up a fiberglass mothermold for the chest parts, and start on a grip for the bolt pistol. To speed things along, the same grip will be used for the bolter, flamer, heavy bolter, and so forth.

Stay tuned...

The Chainswords are fantastic. Wings look good so far. I'll be interested in seeing the badges and details come together. Details are where your skills really shine.

I love the chainswords! Now that they aren't stark black, they look like they're a bit better scaled, actually. Just one little question, are you going to paint blood on the teeth of the chains? You made the rest of the sword look well-used, so why not the chains too?

I agree with starvin and kyre. I cant wait to see the details of the armor with the badges and whatnot. don't forget grenades! lol and blood on the swords would be pretty cool too :)
its all comming together really nicely bud.

We actually spent some time talking about what would work best for adding bits of bone and strings of flesh to the chainswords. In the end, we agreed that gory props usually look kinda cheesy hanging on the wall.

Still, we did take a few minutes to plan out a way to run plumbing in so we could have blood spray out of both ends when someone was "hacked" with it...

Yesterday Matt did a bit more work on the bolt pistol:
6910309431_14dc617abc_o.jpg

There's been a lot of discussion about it being too small. Looking at the miniatures, the bolt pistols always seemed to look small in the Space Marines' hands. At the same time, this beast looks massive in our normal-person hands. I think it'll be just fine. Bear in mind also that it's going to gain some mass when you add the magazine, muzzle, front sight, and detail bits.

In the midst of the bolt pistol build, I made a bit of progress reorganizing the workshop for greater productivity:
6910283085_1d3ac7ef99_o.jpg

The first step was to move everything away from the walls that wasn't bolted down. Since then we've been slowly putting things away.

Somewhere along the way I also cast a few copies of the wings for the chest:
6910309221_e1452784ca_o.jpg

Today I'll sculpt the first icon to go in the middle. Stay tuned..

The progress is looking stunning! I can't wait to see the rest of the details when they're all finished!

Sorry I haven't replied to the thread in awhile, I'm just too stunned and captivated to leave any words to describe how awesome it is.

Thank you for the encouragement. There's been not a lot of progress on this build lately, but I figured I should update with what I've got. I've been concentrating on other projects, but in the meantime I've been overhauling the shoulder form. Here it is all polished up with a new glossy coat:
6777562410_8b089df8ca_o.jpg

Once I was happy with the finish, I layered on a few coats of mold release wax and then started laying up a fiberglass gelcoat onto it:
6941773905_ddcff153c3_o.jpg

When the gelcoat was firm enough, I started laying up fiberglass mat on top:
6944449953_962529147d_o.jpg

With the fiberglass mold done, I removed the original form:
6798336488_76b89d2212_o.jpg

The plan now is to lay up a couple of heavy-duty copies in fiberglass so I can use them as forming bucks. I'll also be able to take the mold to a local shop and have them spray some copies with their fiberglass chopped strand gun if I decide I need stronger pieces for some reason.

I should be laying these up and making pulls over the weekend. Stay tuned...

I predict that this will be a good weekend. At first I thought you were making a mold, I can only imagine the cost of silicone (and the weight!) if you were going to make molds for casting the entire armour.

Can't wait to see you next update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back