Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that's how u make those lol. That looks really cool how u make the mold. I can't wait to see ur pics this weekend :)

I'm pretty well decided on an initial chapter paintjob for the first few suits. I'm playing that card pretty close to the vest though so I don't have to listen to people whining about my decision.

In other news, I've started the next big thing:
6954955675_9f4290d177_o.jpg

It doesn't make much sense until you see it lined up like so:
6954955739_03dac2545e_o.jpg

I didn't make as much progress as I'd've liked on the side pieces, but the lower end of the back was shaping up nicely:
6954955805_a3e2178dee_o.jpg

The top piece has yet to be built. It'll be a separate part that will cover up the missing gap. Still, the forms I've started seem to look pretty good all clamped together:
6808846078_ba5b047b3d_o.jpg

I'm even pretty happy with the scale, considering how many wild guesses went into sizing it:
6808846148_39672d15f6_o.jpg

Much more progress in the next few days. Stay tuned...

Good work ! A little video on a "similar" project done by a french worshop, looks like the scale is almost the same if i'm not wrong ;

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure my marines are going to be bigger than those.

Today I added a bit of a skirt around the bottom edge of the mold for the shoulder forms:
6961050151_ce5eecc4fa_o.jpg

This extra material will make it possible to build up thickness when laying up fiberglass all the way to the edge of the shoulder plate. Then I can just trim off the excess.

I also reinforced the ends of two of the four thigh forms:
6961050173_707916a1b9_o.jpg

The thighs are the last pepakura parts that still need to be converted into forming bucks. Here's a shot showing the inside to give you an idea of how it's done:
6961050205_84b90c043e_o.jpg

Just like I did with the other parts, once the thighs were split in half, the next step was to build an MDF border around the bottom edge, glue cardstock over the open ends, then lay up more fiberglass inside to bond it all together. The thinnest parts are the end caps where I've built up at least 2 layers of 1.5oz fiberglass mat.

This should be adequate to resist the pressures from vacforming.

Once I get the other thigh parts put together, I'll have all of the forms I'll need for the hard parts. I'll still have to finish the sculpt for the waist and other rubber joint parts.

Stay tuned...

Yes, your marines will be bigger indeed lol. Thanks for showing the inside of the thigh, to me thats very interesting :) I like seeing how stuff is made. Keep up the great work. Oh and the backpacks look spot on by the way

I've finished all of the forms for the thighs. Sadly, I neglected to take pictures. But I did take pictures of the first pair of fiberglass pulls of the shoulder plate:
6821506038_febe4d8c15_o.jpg

Over the next few days I'll be backing them up with some MDF supports and then I'll be ready to pull the shoulders two at a time. Then all I'll need to do is finish up the forms for the backpack and it'll be time to crank out a few suits.

Stay tuned...

wait im confused, why did you make a mold for the shoulders if youre just going to vacuumform them? even if you can vac 2 at a time now isnt it more expensive to make a mold that size?

The shoulders look really good, Im all giddy to see the armor all done. :) Keep up the good work

...Aaaand the first two pairs of thigh pulls:
6829301556_d7dfbcfaa8_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be putting together another pair of boots. Stay tuned.

Today I put together a full leg:
6978568913_1395154a43_b.jpg

Here's a good shot for scale:
6978568885_824e903770_b.jpg

Now that I'm starting to stack up pieces, these things are taking up a lot of space:
6978568827_099ef2d294_b.jpg

I stuck together another pair of boots, but I have yet to pour in the foam and add the soles.

Stay tuned...

Lord thorssoli. I just want to say I like seeing all your work
jackopopcorn.gif

That leg looks like you could wear it in a potato sack race. Only this would offer significantly more protection in case you were to fall over. How long do you think it is going to take to paint and weather one complete suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back