Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh, that's neat. I guess I'll stop hating my iPod now that I can do stuff with it...like stalk people...

Today I was mostly concentrating on my Isaac Clarke build, but my friend Matt stopped by again and I set him to work with bondo and the sander:
6180299700_ab8077645a_o.jpg

He was pretty happy with his progress:
6179773229_c889551ca9_o.jpg

We were talking through plans for what part to work on next and decided that the chest should be faired out last. Meanwhile, here's what the legs look like:
6180299760_1d0d7dfdd5_o.jpg

Tomorrow we'll probably be going to the Great Handcar Regatta, so I doubt there'll be too much progress on this beast until Monday. Stay tuned...

That looks amazing! But instead of looking out of the throat, why not make the boots have uber-thick soles on the inside, making them kind of like stilts? And so that your arms are long enough to come out of the end of the arm, you could use one of these robot hand dealies that I found at Walmart, where you have a glove that's attached to some really big fingers that have servos in them to make them move. Then, you could put the hand armor on them, and have large, computer tower sized hands. :D

That looks amazing! But instead of looking out of the throat, why not make the boots have uber-thick soles on the inside...

My feet won't even be in the boots. Instead, I'll be standing on top of the boots so the bottom of my feet will be above the character's ankle.

I'm 5'7" tall. This character is supposed to be 7'4" tall plus the height added by wearing boots and a helmet. Even standing on top of the ankles, I'm not tall enough for my head to look right inside the helmet and my arms won't reach very far into the character's arms. This will all make more sense as I get closer to finishing it.

My feet won't even be in the boots. Instead, I'll be standing on top of the boots so the bottom of my feet will be above the character's ankle.

I'm 5'7" tall. This character is supposed to be 7'4" tall plus the height added by wearing boots and a helmet. Even standing on top of the ankles, I'm not tall enough for my head to look right inside the helmet and my arms won't reach very far into the character's arms. This will all make more sense as I get closer to finishing it.

See, this is why I so interested in this build. We all know how strong your sculpting skills are, but what inspires me most is how well you problem solve. You always have wonderfully creative ways to overcome challenges.

Originally posted by Thorssolil

Lol. The scale of this build finally clicked in my brain, and it's impossibly large for my 5'1 body. This is an awesome build. Good luck!

Yessir. He's gonna be a big boy.

Yesterday we made a bit of progress on fairing and reinforcing the big pieces. At the end of the day, we decided to do a quick test fit to verify that the helmet would be somewhat proportionate:
6189063231_93dab660b7_o.jpg

That sculpt still has a long way to go. I'm thinking I need to split it down the middle and make it a tiny bit wider. The Chaplain helmet looks better:
6189582424_8ea5980201_o.jpg

Anyhow, progress has continued on the rest of the pieces. Here's the shin:
6191498006_6c87ee03f0_o.jpg

I started fairing the chest too:
6191497940_22812e5f8b_o.jpg

Here I am in the middle of the pile of parts:
6190979875_a931e5718e_o.jpg

Meanwhile, Matt has completely finished fairing the first pepakura part that is going into this build. Here it is:
6191497990_b7d19b49b7_o.jpg

In case it's not obvious, that's the left bicep.

Stay tuned. More interesting parts will be getting finished in the next couple of days...

You're moving along quite nicely on this. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the progress. The scale of the build is still a bit daunting though. We're three gallons of fiberglass resin into it and today we'll open the third gallon of bondo for this project.

God your building skills are sick. You crank out in a couple of days what would take me a few weeks. You are a machine! Is this your full time job? Keep up the good work!

That.
Is amazing, I can't look at you wearing the bitz and think that you could fit yourself in there without your arms being little stumps.

I assume you're gonna work some kind of stilts out for the feet/lower legs so you can be the right height? Or does your 'see through neck' plan make that unnecessary?

Either way, this is amazing, you sir are made of pure, unadulterated epic.

*Makes sign of the Aquila*
"The Emperor protects."

(Forgive super-nerdiness, couldn't help it after seeing this.)

We're holding off on deciding what chapter it'll be until we can find someplace to buy enough of those tiny little bottles of Citadel Colours paint to cover the whole thing.

Not a lot of progress today. Probably because we were screwing around with the pieces in the workshop:
6197008517_c4e3e2e265_o.jpg

I went ahead and tried on the pieces too, if only to reaffirm the plan for how it will fit when it's all together. Hopefully this picture will help to make my plan more clear:
6197525462_961bc4958d_o.jpg

I'm still thinking it'll work:
6197525428_d8473bd2b7_o.jpg

Otherwise, all I did was a few minutes worth of work smoothing out the chest some more:
6197008427_88f1ebdae7_o.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

It is funny to me that I am still suprised by the size of this every time I see new pictures. But it does look like your plan will work out well. Using the neck as a view port was a great idea. Can't wait to see the vac-formed results.

I agree 100% with Starvin. This thing is Huge. It's funny, when you go big, you go Redonk big. lol, anyways its an awesome build. really looking forward to how this turns out. One question, when do you sleep?

I get somewhere between four and five hours a night most of the time. What really makes it possible to burn through projects as fast as I do is the fact that I don't watch television very often.

In other news, the elbow is mostly faired out:
6208160781_a0e7a46992_o.jpg

The heel needs a bit more work:
6208676090_e954019199_o.jpg

The toe too:
6208676052_72111308fa_o.jpg

The shins and thighs are nearly done. I still have a long way to go on the chest, but I'm starting to think we might have a couple of these together in time for Halloween.

Stay tuned...

A couple by Halloween? That would be great. I never did get around to asking but did you make the pep files yourself or did you use ones you found?

hey thor great work

what did you use for the bottom of the foot is that rubber?
and what did you fill the entire foot with?
also i made a mask glassed and bondo now is it safe to wear like that(how do i get rid of the fiber glass smell?)
or do I need to make a cast of it out of resin

It's looking awsome Thor, and those were some epic scissors in the video XD

I do have a few quick questions about some things i've seen:

My first question is about your vacuforming methods, when you vacuformed the shoulder plate I did not see any holes, did you not need to with that shape? And what is your prefered choice of vacu-forming material? Details welcomed.

Secondly, what grinder bit are you using to sand down the sharp corners? Being one of metal working talent, I find myself favoring grinders so I'm keenly interested on this.

Third, this one really does not relate to this specific build but, how much smoothcast casting plastic does it take to make a normal sized MK VI helmet? I'm making a new helmet for my soon-to-come armor rebuild and I want to make economical casts of it.

Lastly, How do you get so awsome?

Learning from the professionals-
-Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back