Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord Thor,

The terminator helm is just sick. And yes I think you do have slight disorder if you want to remake that. But, then I think all the best artists and craftsmen have the same disorder. Damn, that pursuit of perfection!

Helm looks great so far, but you're the master prop builder. So we'll just sit back and watch this Epic build unfold.

Wow, this looks amazing. Great job, can't wait to see the final product!

If you don't mind my asking, did you use Pep files for the helmets, or were they scratch built? I've ony ever been able to find one of the helmets so far.

Aside from the Terminator helmet, they're all scratch built. I sculpted the MkVI(?) beaky helmet in oil-based clay a few years back. Then earlier this year I hacked one of my casts apart and used it as a base for sculpting my chaplain helmet. You can read about my other Warhammer 40k builds (including my scratchbuilt bolters) in my blog: http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/search/label/space marine

In other news, we got back to work on this project yesterday. Mostly we cut up the arm parts to make them into forming bucks:
6540306297_6e03c356bd_b.jpg

They still need to be set up with spacers to make them useful for forming, but they're coming along. Meanwhile, the leg parts still need some more attention in the bondo department before they get cut up similarly.

If you don't mind my asking (Again :)) do you still have the files used to make this armour, as the only site I know where you could find them has removed them by owner's request. Thanks.

did you alter the scale for your pep parts or did you keep their default for this build?

I built all of these parts in the default scale. I neglected to note the build height on any of the parts like I usually do. Sorry about that.

I've made a bit of progress on the greaves. Here's the inside of the shin portion after it was cut apart:
6558069821_e035ed406c_o.jpg

Here's the outside of the calf:
6558069147_d0343c32f0_o.jpg

The white parts are additional portions of card stock which were glued in place to give the fiberglass a shape to conform to. The whole thing was also framed with MDF on the bottom before I glassed it together:
6558068865_18b7a55ec8_o.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do the same thing with the shin half. I still have to do a bit of work on the boot parts and then I'll be able to form everything below the knee.

I've also made a bit of progress on the thighs, but mostly it's been a matter of reinforcing the edges of them. I still need to fair them quite a bit more before I can cut them apart.

I've always liked the space marine design seeing as its really cool and not too complicated. With the chest, does it keep it's shape we'll when resining or did you add more supports?

And also, what do you project the overall build height to come to?

I went with a light coat of resin on the outside of half of the pep build, then waited for it to cure. Then flipped it over and did the other half. Then did the inside. It did alright, but I still had to use some masking tape to strap across some of the openings and keep things aligned.

When it's fully built, these guys will be a bit over seven feet tall. I can't be sure exactly at this point.

In other news, we pulled the first set of forearm parts yesterday:
6621835697_3ab18e23ac_b.jpg

Here's some of it assembled:
6621836657_c85b2a3730_b.jpg

The elbow seam takes a bit more work than I'd like. Here you can see me grinding down the filler:
6621836985_db2b0ffe24_b.jpg

We should be able to get the rest of the arm parts put together in the next day or so. Then I'll need to get back to work on the inside parts of the shoulder plates. Stay tuned...

No comments? At all?

We now have a lower leg:
6629821767_34c4cf1643_b.jpg

I've also started sculpting out the fingers:
6629821363_fd02c44078_b.jpg
The pinky finger is on the left.

Those should come together over the next couple of days.

Stay tuned...

just beautiful, love the way its turning out, and have you decided if your going to do a chaos or space marine chapter?

If you do chaos I will love you forever *ahem*

I really can't wait to see how this looks once you start all the badges and details. That is where your skills are really gonna shine.

Ooooooooohhhhh..... Shine..-y

Looks awesome, going to build a suit of Termie armour to go with the helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back