Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
JARVIS is the AI responsible for running Tony Stark's house and is the main computer for the Irom Man suits.
Edwin Jarvis was also the name of Tony's real butler in the original comic books, and basically the servant for all of the Avengers since most of them just hung out in Tony's mansion.

Back on topic: Congrats Thor! I love reading your blog! I wish I had a lawn so that I could get some of your gnomes :(

That looks amazing man! Did you buy your vacume foam machine or did you build it? And if so, are there any plans on line to build one that big? Thanks. Keep yup the awesome!

Woah! Amazing Thor!! I remember way back when you and I were talking, you were pondering this concept. Now this is freakin' amazing!

I haven't posted here in forever. For that, I apologize. I've been busy with a few other projects.

To make up for it, here's pictures of my helmet upgrade in progress:
8048682918_be734e4dae_c.jpg

8048677935_98a9f9605d_c.jpg

So far I've made the whole thing about 3/4" taller and added about 3/4" to the snout. This makes the overall shape much closer to the shape of the miniatures.

In other news, I'll be cranking out at least two more suits over the next couple of weeks. I won't go into details yet, but one of them will need a couple of these:
8048677593_d7da79427b_c.jpg

Finally, I haven't posted it here, but a while back I got all three of the existing suits together for part of a photoshoot:
7974596627_66751435d4_c.jpg

I apologize for the crappy snapshot above. There will be much clearer images when theyl become a little more famous at newsstands later this month: http://makezine.com/32/

Stay tuned for updates now that I'm back to working on these guys.

I'm liking the most recent pic of your trio, they look right off the table. Great work. Quick question though, it may have been asked earlier so sorry if I don't recall the answer but:

Why did you go with cast hands instead of rigged mobile ones? Clearly you have the machinery to make mobile hands at the proper scale (like the ones people have made for elite costumes) so I was curious about your design choice to instead go with a cast hand on a cylinder.

Why did you go with cast hands instead of rigged mobile ones?

The molds are set up so that the hands that I've made can be re-made into articulated versions. The problem is: given the size difference and the linkage involved, they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the weapons. So at the very lest, whichever hands are holding the bolters and chainswords needed to be build in a fixed position. The other consideration was weight. When I do make a couple of articulated hands, they'll have to be very lightweight on account of the added leverage on the end of the extended arm.

Simply amazing. As a long time 40k fan, costuming novice, and board lurker; you sir do amazing work. I've learned more from your threads and blog than I have from any other source other than experience. Keep fighting the good fight and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Now I just have to hit 90 posts so I can access the classifieds section and fill your inbox with requests to sell me your work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back