Now That It's Built, How Do You Get It There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonus

You send countless hours/days/weeks/months/(years?) making your armour, and you want to show it off. What better place to do it than a Convention, a launch party, or maybe just a regular costume party like Halloween? These events aren't always just around the corner, and it would be nice to not have to wear the suit the whole time. How do you transport all the pieces?

Do you wear it there and bring a change of clothes?

Do you have a container the carries it all and then suit up just before heading in?

I have not hit this stage in my costuming experience, so I would like to know what some veterans do. I'm planning on going to Toronto's Fan Expo, but I don't quite live in Toronto. Last year it was a half hour car ride and then another half hour on the subway. I could drive all the way down, but I'd have to pay for parking that isn't even guaranteed to be close to the event. I don't see it being very comfortable riding in a car wearing the suit, and based on test fittings there isn't much mobility. I'm thinking I'll be putting it on there, but how to get it there?

What is your preferred method?

One thing, it's easier not to wear it there and then suit up when you get there. For mine, I have a large rubber maid container that holds everything.

One thing, it's easier not to wear it there and then suit up when you get there. For mine, I have a large rubber maid container that holds everything.

That's what I'm thinking, but what do you do with the container once you're suited up?

For air travel I'd recommend a Action Packer.
I sometimes fly to conventions and regular rubbermade containers will crack and break. This will take a beating and still come out ok. I did get a dent one trip in one of the bottom corners but the contents were fine. For halo armor pack a layer of clothing on the bottom

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091427

That does look heavy duty. I won't be flying (at least not any time soon) so I don't think I need to worry about that much durability, but hopefully this thread can be useful to others.

With that in mind, keep the suggestions coming. Anyone else have any special tricks of the trade?

I just have a large 7x3x4 foot box made of smaller boxes, which I put the suit in. That and one of those things with the wheels that you use to move small boxes, and suitcases. That way I know it wont get damaged.

Like I did when my school's news thing interviewed me.

Basically I just get in the suit, get in the box, and have a friend wheel it over there. Then I pop out and surprise people.

Basically I just get in the suit, get in the box, and have a friend wheel it over there. Then I pop out and surprise people.

That reminds me of an idea a friend of mine had, and now that I'm saying this I fully expect someone to go ahead and do it (I want to see some pics!). His idea was to build a drop pod out of cardboard, because he was being an ODST. It was just for a Halloween party, but he wanted to be able to jump down the stairs in it, and then bust out. It probably would've been too dangerous to do the jumping thing, but if someone wheeled you into an event in it it would be awesome to see the door fly off to reveal an ODST.

I leave it in the car

Makes sense, as long as you're close enough. I wish my work building was closer to the event because I have free parking there. I guess I could take the street car from there though... It would at least make for some amusing photos and strange looks from people. Might be hard getting in and out though.

I pack everything into a backpack and 1 small and 1 large rolling luggages. It's either I change before and just put on my thigh, chest and helmet in the parking lot. I just put the extra clothes and smaller bags into a large luggage. It all depends on where I can change.

ok, ive never transported a WHOLE suit, but if you want to go somewhere, like a 1-5 minute driving distance, wear some "hard to put on" pieces that will not affect driving, or in my case, affect the driver... Lol I could picture someone in a noble 6 suit on a plane XD. but yeah, if youre going on a plane, put it in a box/container.

Most of the trooping events I attend are outdoors, so generally I need to get suited up in a parking lot.

Thus I prefer to get changed at home and get transported as a passenger. I can sit comfortably in a car if I don't wear the gloves, forearms and helmet (I put those in the trunk).

If I need to transport the costume, I use a hockey equipment bag. They are roomy, and the one I have has wheels and a tow bar -

3208603_raw.png

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Easton%2BWheeled%2BHockey%2BBag.jsp?locale=en

It'll hold one large adult sized (just over 6 foot, 205lb) Mk VI (without helmet), magnum pistol, role of duct tape, second set of "under-armour", water bottle, box with voice amp and associated wireless gear and mic, mix of spare batteries, and other bits and pieces (sunglasses, scissors, etc).

I don't think it would protect the contents from the tender mercies of air travel luggage handlers, but it works great when traveling by car, bus or on foot.

Makes sense, as long as you're close enough. I wish my work building was closer to the event because I have free parking there. I guess I could take the street car from there though... It would at least make for some amusing photos and strange looks from people. Might be hard getting in and out though.
If you have someone coming with you, you can pull up close and suit up and have the driver park where you wanted.

Most of the trooping events I attend are outdoors, so generally I need to get suited up in a parking lot.

Thus I prefer to get changed at home and get transported as a passenger. I can sit comfortably in a car if I don't wear the gloves, forearms and helmet (I put those in the trunk).

If I need to transport the costume, I use a hockey equipment bag. They are roomy, and the one I have has wheels and a tow bar -
It'll hold one large adult sized (just over 6 foot, 205lb) Mk VI (without helmet), magnum pistol, role of duct tape, second set of "under-armour", water bottle, box with voice amp and associated wireless gear and mic, mix of spare batteries, and other bits and pieces (sunglasses, scissors, etc).

I don't think it would protect the contents from the tender mercies of air travel luggage handlers, but it works great when traveling by car, bus or on foot.

Thanks for the reminder of the extra stuff I should also bring. I could see an event going sour if I didn't have any duct tape to make a quick fix.

If you have someone coming with you, you can pull up close and suit up and have the driver park where you wanted.

Good point. I think I was assuming I'd be driving, but I guess that doesn't have to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back