Calladar's Foam Carter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

calladar

well i am trying to get 4 kits ready for dragon con.. Kat for my wife is done.. Grunt for my daughter is half done.. my son has been working on his Jun and getting along well. i had made it to a point with the Grunt build that i realized that it would not take long once i figured out exactly how i was going to make parts for it. so as i was sitting there thinking about it i figured i better get started on my Carter because it was going to take alot longer for it than the grunt. soo i shelved the grunt short term so i could get down to the nitty gritty on the Carter build.

well i dove hard into it and in the process of working as quickly as i could i forgot to take alot of progress pics.. sooo this thread is going to be more of a TA-DA thread. i have now been working on Carter build completely out of foam, with the exception of the helmet, for about a month now. soo here are some pics along the way.

Started with the Helmet of course:
mms_picturejpg257.jpg
mms_picturejpg256.jpg
54d4705f.jpg
8a46fedb.jpg

pre-mold
8b6c1117.jpg

pull from mold
f74d1ee4.jpg
26fd4103.jpg

Started Paint
994fa1dc.jpg

Painted and putting in electronics
bfe95d54.jpg

Done
644ae1b3.jpg

i wonder if you can get a maniquin in you size so at least as you build in you can have it dry on the mock up and not on table where things can warp.... anywho nice build so far man, you gonna do any drybrushing and weathering on the helmet or is it gonna be left prestine condition.... i wish i had the money to do this now, all these builds are making me really wanna build something (antsee-dance) : (

whats with the duct tape??

There is weathering on the helmet.. the camera is not picking it up for some reason..

now photobucket is really driving me nuts. locks up about every five minutes as i am trying to post pics.. soo here i go again trying to get pics up..

on to the chest.
7fdeca94.jpg
02a4ee51.jpg
46c38685.jpg
DSCN2708.jpg

Arms:
017aba26.jpg
DSCN2709.jpg
DSCN2713.jpg
DSCN2710.jpg
DSCN2711.jpg
Ipod goes there.. speakers mounted in chest. loud and gonna rock it out.

moving on to the waist and legs..
DSCN2714.jpg

sides on cod open up for phone and camera
DSCN2715.jpg

4758f29d.jpg
55150b3c.jpg

and photobucket locks up again.. edit post in a min once it starts working again

try again..
DSCN2716.jpg
DSCN2719.jpg
12f5774d.jpg
DSCN2720.jpg
DSCN2721.jpg
f43177a7.jpg

pieces together:
DSCN2723.jpg
DSCN2722.jpg

still have one shin to do and some painting but it is getting there.. hopefully will be done in the next week.

Can´t find any Words for this beautiful Build o_O
The Amount of Details, the Paintjob...just legendary!

dam that is good! awesome idea on the side hatch thing on the cod haha. you're painting is superb!

This might be the first build where the little cases on the belt have been functional. I was actually planning on the same thing.
I was also going to keep a tool kit in there for fast repairs, batteries, the works.

i got 2 say the one thing i love most about this build is the boots... i just like how you did them, from what i've seen in the figures and drawing the boots seem more like slip ons

That is one sweet looking suit. The detail work and paint are both amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Wow.... :eek My only thing would be, you need to space those kind of updates out man!! That is a lot of epic work to soak in at one time. ;) Great work man!!

-Matt

Man Calladar, you have gotten really good at this foam thing. You Carter build is flat out SICK!!!

That is looking really good! Yeah, I know I already commented on the pic on your facebook. XD

Anyway, I noticed you got the boots to look different and a bit better than the pair you did for your wife. I see how it is..........make the better stuff for yourself. XD haha j/k I'm guessing those were all made from foam too? How did you get it to shape so nicely like that??

spectacular I love your work I also am doing my costume of carter, Commander first and foremost, a greeting

espectacular me encanta tu trabajo yo tambien estoy haciendo mi traje de carter, comandante ante todo , un saludo

How long did you to make this and are your Wife and Daughter mad that you seemed to make this awesome suit for yourself and their's had taken so long? Was it easier to make it for yourself because you knew how you wanted to do it for yourself and that you could size it as you went?

Great work as always and you always get in all the details!

By the way how did you make the side cod pockets and keeps them closed? Do you have any photos of how you made the speaker set up and how you are connecting them to the wrist player?

That is looking really good! Yeah, I know I already commented on the pic on your facebook. XD

Anyway, I noticed you got the boots to look different and a bit better than the pair you did for your wife. I see how it is..........make the better stuff for yourself. XD haha j/k I'm guessing those were all made from foam too? How did you get it to shape so nicely like that??

the boots were an experiment to begin with making them out of foam.. i used a file to make my wifes and then when i was making mine i decided i could do better from scratch... what i did was take the shoes, traced them on the foam and started building around that. the toe is built up and then i went after it with a dremel to round it and smooth it out. was happy with the results. going to re-make the wifes boots since i figured that out.

LEgit!!! How long did it take you?

has taken me about a month

How long did you to make this and are your Wife and Daughter mad that you seemed to make this awesome suit for yourself and their's had taken so long? Was it easier to make it for yourself because you knew how you wanted to do it for yourself and that you could size it as you went?

Great work as always and you always get in all the details!

By the way how did you make the side cod pockets and keeps them closed? Do you have any photos of how you made the speaker set up and how you are connecting them to the wrist player?

it was much easier to make for myself.. knew my size and while making it i didn't have to wait to track someone down to see if i was on the right track for size.. for the side pockets i made the cod then after making the cod i put a piece of foam on the inside of the "pockets" closing them off.. i then cut the door out and used a small hinge and a magnet and a screw to hold it closed. i put the magnet in the door and the corresponding screw in the cod for the magnet to "grab" and hold the door closed.

i do not have pics of the speaker setup but will have some up here shortly.. it is all stuff i was able to get at walmart. as a preview i found a couple of battery powered small speakers that were nice and loud. mounted them to the inside of the chest in areas where i had hidden a slit for the sound to get out past the foam. and then used a 1/8 inch "headphone" wire extension to be able to reach from the ipod to the speakers (hidden within the inside of the arm pieces) and a headphone y splitter to split the signal to the speakers and plugged it all up and mounted it to the inside of the chest. have some pics up soon. gotta go to work this weekend so i will be back at it Monday.

to all thanks you for the kind comments and sorry for the (as i like to call it) Ta-Da style post.. will have some more up soon. next is going to be weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back