Calladar's Foam Carter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice work Calladar. I like how the fanny pack is usable storage. Great stuff!

Very nice work. You have some mad weathering skills.

Calladar, what files did you use as templates to make these Carter pieces?

Oh, and I'm really digging your duct tape mannequin.

i have to say that i really love this build. very clean work and the paint job is really good as well. did you free hand the fannie pack? because it is dead on accurate and clean. keep up the great work

Can i be honest? this suit is seriously looking like it could be form like, the live action trailer, thats the caliber of quality im seeing dude, it looks epic so far :D i really need some new painting techniques xD

I've really admired all your work and followed each thread you have started! Very nice builds in all! This one looks great and really looking forward to seeing everything and everyone together in a photo!

I am building a foam suit as well and have tested coating the foam with mod podge. I noticed after a coat that it can still flex and not crack, but I havnt built up more than one coat yet. What type of mod podge are you using? I tested with hardcoat.

Hey out of curiosity how did you fill in the seams?

i use a combination of hot glue and flexible putty. the trick with using the hot glue to fill in the seams is to fill the seam with a little above the seam and let it cool all the way. then take the edge of the hot glue gun and smooth it back down flush. if you try and do it while the hot glue is still hot it will just smear it around but if you let it cool first you can smooth it in layers down to where you want it. then any problem areas i use a flexible putty (after sealing because it doesn't like to stick to the hot glue) and then sand it flush.

I've really admired all your work and followed each thread you have started! Very nice builds in all! This one looks great and really looking forward to seeing everything and everyone together in a photo!

I am building a foam suit as well and have tested coating the foam with mod podge. I noticed after a coat that it can still flex and not crack, but I haven't built up more than one coat yet. What type of mod podge are you using? I tested with hardcoat.

i am using mod podge matte water based sealer, glue and finish. usually put 2 coats on in a real thin coat just enough to seal the foam so it doesn't drink (suck up) the paint.

Can i be honest? this suit is seriously looking like it could be form like, the live action trailer, thats the caliber of quality im seeing dude, it looks epic so far :D i really need some new painting techniques xD

the way i look at the paint is the primary colors and then once they are on i look at it as shading to bring definition and make the parts of the suit stand out more. A big part of the weathering to me is dirt.. making it look dirty by using a brown as a base on the shading before i do the black shading. this adds another level to the shading and creates a more "dirty" weathered look. as for the scratches i use the standard spray paint on a brush and work it over the suit.

Very nice work. You have some mad weathering skills.

Calladar, what files did you use as templates to make these Carter pieces?

Oh, and I'm really digging your duct tape mannequin.

i used forgedreclaimers thighs and shins, L3X version 3 chest, rhinoc new reach gauntlet, shoulders scratch, chest attachments scratch, forearm attachment scratch, butt pack scratch and i can't find my file i used for the cod for some reason. i think my son stole the file off of my computer to put on his for his build and did a move instead of copy. darn kids..

sorry for the double post wouldn't let me type anymore..

i got a new toy for work and was thinking that there are alot more places i can use it..
Mobile-Eyewear-Recorder-2.jpg

if you have ever seen police POV... there ya go.. i got it for work..great tool... It records both video and audio and so what i figure i am going to do since have most of the painting on the carter suit done when i go to paint the grunt this weekend i will try them out while i paint so you can see from my point of view how i do it.. see if it works well enough for that. i have been using it at work the last 2 nights and works like a champ for work but will see how well it works as applied to documenting doing this stuff..

Hey! Your gonna bring that Carter to Dragoncon right? That foam stuff turned out pretty well, your suit is making me want to make a Reach suit for myself. They have a lot more details than the Halo 3 suits, but I'll wait till Halo 4 is out to see if they Reach-ify the Mark VI lol From the trailer I saw it looks like they are going that route.

Hey! Your gonna bring that Carter to Dragoncon right? That foam stuff turned out pretty well, your suit is making me want to make a Reach suit for myself. They have a lot more details than the Halo 3 suits, but I'll wait till Halo 4 is out to see if they Reach-ify the Mark VI lol From the trailer I saw it looks like they are going that route.

why yes.... yes i am.. my wife is wearing the Kat.. my son is almost done with his Jun.. and i am almost done with the daughter's Grunt. gonna be a family affair.. WOOOO HOOO can't wait.

dude those glasses rock. i have a pair and i used them to make a few videos of me flying from my POV. Should be fun to have a POV of armor building :D btw, your build is epic. I want that fannie pack!!!

Are you going to wear your new glasses while you march in the parade?

tried them on inside my helmet and they won't fit. my wife tried and they fit in her helmet so she will be wearing them during the parade.. point of view from within the parade. i am having trouble with the mic on them.. noticed the mic is a little sensitive when i talk and crackles alot. may have been a fluke because they worked great the other night at work.

i tried them out today while i was painting my daughter's grunt and didn't work so well.. i discovered the i get so close to the piece i am working on while i paint that you can't see what i am doing. going to have to go at it from another route.

have to break out the old video camera. hell don't even know if it still works but will try it out.. worst case i will hook up the web-cam to my laptop and use that.. going to have to try out some things to see if i can get the results that i would not be embarrassed to put video up on the net.. lol

thank you guys for the positive feed back. i am humbled considering the work that people do on here.

not allot done today. i am going to work on my wife's boots tonight since i have to stay up all night so i can sleep tomorrow and work this weekend. i am going to take my wife's boots and and modify them to how i had made mine from scratch instead of using a file like i did on her's.. i will take allot of pics along the way since several have asked how i did the boots out of foam and the process will be posted on the kat build...http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29934-Calladar-s-Kat-WIP/page22

First off Calladar, EPIC build. It is the best carter I've seen yet. My first question concerns the Ipod setup. I'm doing the same thing for my build, but I noticed that if I mount the Ipod inside the addon piece, the top button of the Ipod isn't accessible. Did you address that at all in your build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back