Calladar's Foam Carter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your work is amazing. I was wondering if you could go into detail about your weathering technique, the front definately looks like worn metal, but with a nice subtlety to it.

Awesome build, simply awesome, everything looks perfect.

Thumbs-up-low-res.jpg

Your work is amazing. I was wondering if you could go into detail about your weathering technique, the front definately looks like worn metal, but with a nice subtlety to it.

what i will do is when i go to paint the next peices i will document it alot better and show the process i go through and try to make a short video showing all the products i use and how i use them.

Do you have any photos of how you made the speaker set up and how you are connecting them to the wrist player?

here are the pieces of my speaker set up..

first is two (2) Philips SBA1600 Portable speaker ($15.00 or less)
speakers.jpg

then 3 headphone extenders in different lengths. i used one (1) four foot and two (2) one foot cables. price ranged from $4.00 to $8.00
extender.jpg

and a headphone Y-splitter ($4.00)
splitter.jpg

i made the mount for the IPOD cut a hole for the headphone extension to be able to run the 4 foot headphone extention inside the forarm piece up the inside of my arm, through the shoulder piece and into the chest. connected that to the headphone splitter and connected the two 1 foot extenders to the splitter and have one speaker mounted in the front of the chest and the other mounted in the back of the chest using velcro strapping. the speakers run off of 3 AAA bateries and are nice and loud and clear. i will take some pics of the setup on my days off and stick em up here (shhhhh i'm at work right now)

How did you get the paint to show really well on the foam?

sorry for the double post.. for some reason it wouldn't let me write any more in the last one.

but to answer the question it is all about sealing the foam. if it is not sealed the foam will basically drink the paint and then the original color of the foam (black, grey ect.) will bleed through the paint and it is hard and takes multiple coats to try and cover the bleed through.

i have used the plastidip and like it but can get expensive over a full suit and getting it on thick. i actually like the modge podge. and i know the whole idea is that the foam is flexible and want the flex but in all reality there is not much flexing that the foam has to do and what little it does flex the modge podge handles very well and a bottle of it is cheap and seems like it lasts forever. i have done 2 1/2 kits and still have allot left. i do two (2) coats of the modge podge before i even start painting. then there are some other smoothing techniques i will talk about when i show how i do it.

I never realized how good the foam looks! Might have to reconsider doing my pep files now haha. Cant wait to see the completion, good job though man!

........ I think I'm gonna throw my Carter build in the garbage when I get home after seeing this... :p.
Dude, this looks HOT!!!!! It's a cliche saying around here, but I can't wait to see more progress and a finished Carter suit!!! Amazing work man!!!!!!

great work with everything. cant wait to see it wired up. i was thinking about modifying my odst gauntlet to hold an ipod touch.

thank you all.. i am off for the next 2 days so i will hopefully have some more up soon.. i am going in to work on the shin now and once it is done and ready to paint i will go into detail on how i paint. will also do up some scrap foam to be able to show some of the painting because the shins are just brushed metal look so will work some of that at and document it a little better.

sorry for the double post.. edit is not workin for some reason for me.. but moving on.. there were some questions on the ipod mount that i made so here is some detail on how i did mine.

started with gauntlet
DSCN2726.jpg

i made the attachment from scratch using pics and figure and tried to get it close
DSCN2727.jpg

bought one of those rubber ipod protectors for like $3.00 at walmart then added Velcro to the back
DSCN2728.jpg
DSCN2729.jpg

cleaned out the inside of the attachment so the ipod would fit in nice and snug.. added a strip of Velcro across to hold it in place
DSCN2730.jpg

DSCN2731.jpg

added thin strips of Velcro to the gauntlet and corresponding to the attachment
DSCN2732.jpg

stick it in place
DSCN2734.jpg

and there it is
DSCN2736.jpg

I was able to get my other shin made. getting ready to paint this weekend and will have some pics up soon.

i love it! I really want to do something like that in my build. Having a working tacpad would be epic. great work man i can't wait to see more

thanks guys..

ok got the shins painted. almost done.. have to make the hand plates and pad and strap it up and it will be done..

here is one of the shins.
02c4f46d.jpg
835a2677.jpg

more to come...... working on the but pack now.

Outstanding build. I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of the whole family.

Subscribed.

Me to.. LOL.. hoping to get done in time..

well i have now finished the butt pack (aka Fannie pack) sorry for the awful pics the batt for the camera died and have it on charge now.. have better pics up once it is charged..had to use the ipod.

before detail painting.
c65e2ae4.jpg
12cb76cd.jpg

after detail.. paint still drying.
df32c658.jpg
2a45e1e0.jpg

it is even usable
37a45f76.jpg

all i have left are the hand plates and then padding and strapping. for this one.. going to redo the wife's boots so when i do that i will post pics so you can see how i made the boots out of foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back