Any one else making halo starships???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudz073

As much as I love the idea of walking into my grocery store to buy some milk as Master Chief, I really can't ignore how awesome it would be to have a Covenant CCS class cruiser or a UNSC light frigate sitting ontop of my mantle. I started a few projects back a couple of months ago before I thought of making armor and put them on the back burner. I was wondering if anyone out there was making model vehicles from halo and if so, how are you doing it? Here are a few pics of what I've done so far.

5989547069_82bbc33a0c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5989551773_f38b1f636a.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5990109488_f1598b58fe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5990116806_304e9646d0.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5989559899_fdc61c2088.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is what i've got. They're all made from green foam, balsa wood, vinyl spackling, and about a days worth of measuring and scaling. I think they're neat but I'm having trouble deciding how to finish them. Am I alone in is this genre of a build or are there others out there?? Anywho, thanks for lookin'

wow these are awesome :p ive never seen ship models before, at least not of this quality. Loving the unsc ship dude!

depending on there size it wouldn't be hard 2 vac-form parts for a kit outta those... only problem would be that who'd have to put some holes in them in order to get a good pull

I'd say that depends on what type of colour you use.

I don't believe spray paint will harm floral foam, but it might be safer to try a piece before spraying the ship.

Fudz, I have considered making smaller (10 cm- Km) models for a tabletop game, but have never started constructing them due to the lack of models out there (and the focus on the game system, of course). Can you tell me how you managed to keep the cruiser's sides so smooth?
On painting, I suggest you check out marshon's fantastic tutorial.

As far as keeping the sides of the cruiser smooth, it took about twenty coats of plaster and religous sanding between each coat. It looks good now but up close there are still some bumps I need to level out. Pretty much it just takes forever. Believe it or not, the UNSC frigate was a quicker build than cruiser simply because of the curves. I'm dreading the work needed to be done to the carrier. But that's the best part of covenant tech, it's the opposite of the bulky, boxy, compartmentalized human tech.

Quick question to anyone who vacuforms. Would the pressure of the vacuform break the green foam used to make these models if I tried to mold them? I'm also worried that the heat might melt the foam as well. Any suggestions?

I don't believe spray paint will harm floral foam, but it might be safer to try a piece before spraying the ship.

I know that normal paints wont harm it, iv painted it with model paints and they had no effect. Although it sucked up paint like crazy and required a tone of coats.

These models are incredible, i would love to know how you made them.

Pretty simple to make. Cut the shape from foam, glue the parts together, and then coat in vinyl spackling. Though, any future builds I'll most likely use bondo.

Test a few piece before attempting a vacuum mold. Honestly You'd want a fully stable surface before vacuuming.

Test out some other pieces with resin coats, see if they disolve, if they do then try to seal the pieces thoroughly with a good sealant (several coats) then resin again. Eventually you'll have a stable platform to vacuum form it.

Good luck and great work!

Quick question to anyone who vacuforms. Would the pressure of the vacuform break the green foam used to make these models if I tried to mold them? I'm also worried that the heat might melt the foam as well. Any suggestions?

I tried using pink insulating foam for some vac molds but it just melted and collapsed from the heat and suction. Try a scrap block before you commit to using something that you put a lot of work into.
My recommendation would be to use molding rubber to make a mold and then slush cast a copy.

Very cool ships, can't wait to see them painted!

Hi there Fudz037...
I am a big Halo starship fan as well and i had the same problems as you do now. After i finished my foam hull i had the same questions about how to finish it without destroying my model..
I was first thinking about fiberglass sheets around the foam but that was way to expensive and you would later not be able to make little adjustments to it. Then i heard about Paper mache. I had no idea about how to continue this project. So i gave it a try... And with succes!

If you just make a good paper mache recipe with a lot of air bubbles in it, and you use normal paper( instead of newspaper) you would be able to make a hard and solid hull around. After you finished the paper mache you could use some sandpaper to smoot the surface of your ships. later you can ad detail to them or even paint them.

Warning!
The first time i did this was a bit a mess but i was able to fix it and now it stil looks great.

I hoop that this tip wil work or at least help you a bit with the building your Halo Fleet.
Greetings, The Universe

I know there were good intentions, but this is definitely a dead thread dug out from the mighty 405th cemetery. I hope you can find others who are still interested in making Halo ships. Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to here back from the guys in this thread. Best of luck finding others.

P.S. If a thread has not had a new post in more than 6 months than it is most likely dead.

P.S.S. If the original poster puts something up after six months it is okay to reply

PPPS: responding to a dead thread to warn a poster about necroposting is still necroposting and contributes to the problem. Try to limit necropost warnings to private messages, or use the Report function.

Omg, those are looking so beautiful! :O I can't wait to see how they look complete. I'm a huge spaceship lover, so it's awesome to see someone actually building some Halo ship models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back