Halo Reach Mark V Foam EOD Helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an EOD variant helm that I slapped together on a request. It is at the basic shape stage, and will require final shaping and reinforcement to hold its shape, details added to the sides and face areas and definition lines burnt in.
Picture30.jpg

I tried to eliminate as many seams as possible or put the seams where they will be hidden by details or paint as well as use layered foam in the back and sides.
Picture31.jpg

I used the heatgun on high temp and kept rounding the parts until they held thier proper shapes.
Picture32.jpg

I cut out valleys on the inside in key areas by following the pep lines as a guide and with lots of staring at the in game reference pictures as well as a paper pep mock up I did for sizing.
Picture33.jpg

Overall I am happy with how this turned out, it is even on both sides when you look directly to the front, top or back. Hint: use the same pattern for each side, simply flip it over for the second piece.
THAT WAS
easybutton.jpg

It is slightly to large on me and will be a little less "oval" or long after its final shaping.
Picture35.jpg

looks nice. but the pep was soooooo easy i think it might be less wok if you did the pep. but oh well its still great and thats what matters.

looks nice. but the pep was soooooo easy i think it might be less wok if you did the pep. but oh well its still great and thats what matters.

Thanks! I've never done pepping, so I would need a frame of reference to compare how much work is involved.

How long does it take to make an HD fiberglass helmet assuming you have the sizing done and pages printed and just need to get it to the smooth and ready for paint stage? Anyone?
And since we are making a few comparisons,
How heavy is a finished helm? This one is at 6 oz thus far and should finish somewhere under a pound, depending on electronics/addons.
How difficult is it to repair? I've repaired foam with a tiny tube of superglue and a silver felt, including a 1" crack.
Anyone?

Thanks! I've never done pepping, so I would need a frame of reference to compare how much work is involved.

How long does it take to make an HD fiberglass helmet assuming you have the sizing done and pages printed and just need to get it to the smooth and ready for paint stage? Anyone?
And since we are making a few comparisons,
How heavy is a finished helm? This one is at 6 oz thus far and should finish somewhere under a pound, depending on electronics/addons.
How difficult is it to repair? I've repaired foam with a tiny tube of superglue and a silver felt, including a 1" crack.
Anyone?

Doing an HD helmet would take a while. Depending on your cut speed I'd say anywhere from 5-10 hours on the cutting, it depends on how careful and meticulous you are.

Gluing probably another 3-5 hours.

Resin probably like 30 minutes. (Not including curing)

1 hour maybe for fiberglass. (Not including curing)

And if you pep well, bondo should go very quickly, in fact you might not need much or any at all. But the time here depends of the quality of the pep and how much bondo you choose to apply, it can take 1 hour, or it can take 10 hours, it depends.

Depends on how much bondo you use, can be from 1/2 lb to 1.5 lbs, maybe even 2 lbs.

As or damage, depends on where it is. If you glassing cracks you can always put another piece of cloth over it and resin it real quick, and if the bondo cracks you can use spot putty or more bondo to fix it, and then re paint that area, it shouldn't be that hard, unless you helmet is cracked in two.

Hope I helped and gave some accurate estimates.

And nice work on the helmet! I like looking at foam helmet builds, as they are so few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back