Noob WIP: Mark VI (unfolded by Robogenisis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEO

Well, I'm green as a grannysmith apple and really haven't posted much on here but I have spent hours and hours and hours and Hours and HOURS reading stuff on here. Lol, even so I'm on my third try pepping a helmet. First fail I didn't pay attention and started a Noble 6 helmet when I wanted a Master Chief helmet. Second fail I had the right file but when I scaled it I put my measurements in straight with no wiggle room(literally). This time I looked for the file mentioned by Xtreme Tactics 101 in Method #3 of his(her?) scaling tut.
Tonight I finished the the collar of the helmet, and I'm working my way up from there. I'll put up some pics when I get some more done.
My plan is to eventually make the suite look like an Actual suite of armor, not just a prop. I think I'm going to see if I can make my helmet 2 pieces, with the visor and top as one piece and the "jaw" and back/neck parts as the other. I want to put a fan in there for cooling but the smallest I've found so far is 120mm(although I have yet to check out any SMALL computer stores which are more likely to have them available). I also want to incorporate a laser/ultrasound range-finder(It's small and was only $12 at Canadian Tire) into the helmet(with the display on the inside) but I'm going to have to get a computer person to do the modifications to it so I don't break anything :p I also intend on mounting LEDs in the light spots just behind and below the visor.
For the armor I intend on putting a port for a smart-phone in the forearm wired to a couple of small speakers in the chest so I can play Master Chief quotes as a show-off bit ;)
I intend on cutting up some armor pieces and extending them so they overlap like real armor would(specifically, but not limited to, the abs/ribs area of the chest piece)
I don't have a specific idea on how I'm going to mount the body/limb armor yet but I did find a nice padded full body harness at Home Depot as well as a padded belt. Anyway, most of my ideas don't really affect anything until the point after fiberglass, but b4 bondo so I'm going to just leave them on the shelf atm

Any advice, cautions or links u guys could send my way would b greatly appreciated. For any product recommendations, just a reminder, I live in Canada so u will need to keep availability in mind.

One tip I haven't seen for pepping that I'm finding quite useful is, whether u r using super glue or hot glue to put ur armor together use strips of tape on the outside to hold it together until ur glue sets/dries. Neither superglue nor hot glue will stick to the tape(unless u use WAY too much glue)

I'm using Robo's unfolds for my MKVI and I've noticed that on some of his files he doesn't use a dot-dash-dot line for valleys, just a wider dashed line, so you might want to check that before you print (unlike me haha)

Ooooh, that would suck, lol. I'm doing the helmet atm.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

That's what I had done yesterday, I have since finished the front of the chin, the visor and I have placed some cardstock behind the holes where the lights go. Since I'm going to cut them out later to put lights in I don't see the point on pepping the little freaking things that go in there, lol. I don't have updated pics cause my phone is my cam and it is dead :'(

P.S. Hehehe, it be starting to look SOOO awesome XD
Oh, I also started the top of the helmet(barely)

Finished pepping the helmet! :D
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

"Can I resin dad?!? Can I resin?!? Can I? Can I? CAN I?!?"
"Now son, u know u have to pep ALL ur armor b4 u get to resin."
"Awwww... I know :( but I don't WANT to. I want to resin."

Lmao, I'm almost 28 but I feel like a 5yo right now :p

Btw, the red is just a reminder to me where to cut l8r, and the helmet is sitting on a carving of a horse in case u were curious :p

Wow i saw the helmet, nice work man who designed the pep for that??? It looks really easy but detailed aswell...
I made a bad choice to start on a HD forearm and there are about as many edge ID's in 3 pieces of the forearm as there are in that whole helmet... :( taking soo long....

Wow i saw the helmet, nice work man who designed the pep for that??? It looks really easy but detailed aswell...
I made a bad choice to start on a HD forearm and there are about as many edge ID's in 3 pieces of the forearm as there are in that whole helmet... :( taking soo long....

The designer's name is in the thread name. "Unfolded by Robogenisis", I only have 1 thing against it, if u look at the side of the helmet behind the visor there is an area that is fairly flat ingame but has a mountain fold on the helmet(it will require quite a bit of sanding l8r to fix that) but other than that it was surprisingly easy and accurate. Almost all of the detail lines seen ingame are on fold lines in the pep

Thanks for posting all of these reference pictures, definitely saves me some time!

Lmao, it took me FOREVER to get them :p I started a Custom game with the MK VI armor, went to a well lit area and just looked around in circles very slowly. I wish I had thought to do a circle looking down, I could have gotten a couple of better screen shots that way.

I also wish I knew what happened to my hand and forearm screen shots >:l They just kind of disappeared. If anyone could post some 360 degree screen shots of those items in here I'd b very grateful(preferably with the green armor), I ran out of available screenshot space and am currently too busy to go in and delete the old(downloaded) ones

Thanks for the refference pics dude... Yeah i kinda forgot the thread title :S ...
Seeing as your doing the helmet there are some visors on ebay for 30$/ea including postage from south korea, hes sold a few but got one negative feedback about the tint comming off...
I don't know where Canda is but it could possibly be the same postage to there as it is for australia (free)

I've made two helmets now and the best advice I can give is to not rush the hardening process. Don't try to fiberglassing the whole outside of the helmet at once. Experiment with different amounts of fiberglass and the hardener, I watched a few videos that filled the cup with resin and added the drops, because when I used a lot I ended up wasting 3/4 of it. You'll probably end up doing something wrong at first but just take your time.

I've made two helmets now and the best advice I can give is to not rush the hardening process. Don't try to fiberglassing the whole outside of the helmet at once. Experiment with different amounts of fiberglass and the hardener, I watched a few videos that filled the cup with resin and added the drops, because when I used a lot I ended up wasting 3/4 of it. You'll probably end up doing something wrong at first but just take your time.

I had no intention of fiberglassing the outside(did u mean resin the outside?), I'm going to resin the outside then rondo the inside(slush method). It seems to me that the time saving, the lower cost and the simplicity of the method more than make up for the extra weight it's supposed to add. After that I'm adding bondo to the outside and detailing, at which point I'm going to make a mold for it and cast it out of lighter cheaper materials.

BenStreeper's thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish was VERY helpful for me. It really gave me a direction to go that works for me(he also discusses rondo which was helpful since I really didn't know exactly what it was like b4 that)

Yeah I ment using the fiberglass resin on the outside. When doing the rondo on the inside you should make sure its not too thick because it may harden before faster. I did the inside of mine twice, one layer on the bottom and then another rolled on the sides. The rondo makes it kinda heavy, which is why I'm going to use fiberglass for the rest of the armor. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back