I need some detailing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowVFX

This is my first build. I've constructed the helmet (except for some additional detailing I'm in the process of doing), but something just doesn't look right about the finish. I added some weathering which helped out a lot, but whenever I (or anyone else) looks at the helmet, it just doesn't look....real. I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to make it look more like a real helmet and less like a craft project.

helmet.jpg

Note:ignore the visor, it's temporary until the correct one arrives.

I've been building models and painting miniatures for years. One technique I like to do to make the details "pop out" is to apply a dark wash over the mini. The wash will sink into the crevices and recesses of the figure and really gives it a better appearance of depth. I've never worked on something at a 1:1 scale and I don't think the same techniques I use on my minis will translate well to this.

Anyways, in summary; Can someone give me ideas, suggestions, or make any comments that could help me get this helmet looking more real and less like a costume?

I like it, multiple angles may help for suggestions though. Maybe you could get that realistic look you want by adding lights to it.

Add some black foamie on the helmet and dry brush some silver and black acrylic on for high light and shadow

Anything that worked on you're models will in full scale IE., dry brushing, washes, textures, etc.

You could probably try to work on the shape itself a bit more. On the picture you posted, it looks a bit edgier than it should be around the top and some surfaces still have this typical "resined paper"-like wavy look. You have to detach yourself from the way the 3D model and the Pepakura model look and think about how it should be in reality here. It may also be that the shape of the top back of the helmet is wrong (as in simplified). Some more surface detail (e.g. near the temples, probably on the underside of the brim as well) also couldn't hurt, glueing on cardboard or foamies seems like a good idea here. And once that is all taken care of, the paint job is going to sell it. You need more colours, right now it's flat green with silver damage. Marshon has written a good tutorial about the topic here, might be the same technique you use as well and works on bigger models, too.

If you blackwash it that will help alot, it will give it that worn look, also like Ventrue said the helmet is a LD version so its alot easier to build than the HD version, so the shape is off, especially the back area on top of the helmet and its missing alot of details, Most HD MKVI helmet files have a page with the Detail templates, You can print off those pages from the HD model use them for templates to cut details to add to you helmet use foamie sheets, smooth cardboard or even a plastic for sale sign, glue the details on paint it up and you will see diffrence it makes, also I would suggest building the frame around the section where the lights go, it looks to flat, just use some balsa wood or anything that may work, but all in all you helmet does not look bad, it actually looks pretty good especially if its the first one you ever built, You can always build the HD version now that you got peping and the bondo process figured out then you will get the look your trying to achieve, Good luck

The big thing I see is lack of defined corners and some waves in places where it should be smooth or have a compound curve. Luckily you can fake most of the corners using some pre shadowing and fake hide the waves by using flat paint/battle damage. I would recommend getting a few good reference pics printed out and try to mimic the shadowing, especially the various angles and grooves around the helmet. Those little lines add a great deal to the overall look.

If your interested in that perfect "off the assembley line" look then you have some work ahead and will become a real good friend with adhesives, little bits of plastic, riffles, and glazing putty. In short you'll become good at doing body work... then your family will demand you fix that rust spot, then a bumper, then a rocker panel; it's a slippery slope.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm at work presently, but when I get home I'll check out those links and videos to learn a bit more about painting techniques for this stuff.

Edit: Can anyone send me links of good references for Master Chief's helmet? I've done a couple google searches and I'm not finding anything that shows the helmet from all angles.

The method I used was similar to the one if the video from Sean. But a few other steps

1. Highlights with slightly lighter paint like your adding sliver scratches later dry brush.
2. Shadows with a slightly darker paint Dry brush
3. Gray wash - watered down white and black paint. Let it set for a min then wipe off 95% of it.
4. Clay wash - same as above but with a clay colored mix if you use the same brush as you did with the gray wash you will get color variations in the clay darker and lighter area's you can also redo in the gray wash to get effect wanted.
5. Silver highlights with dry brush
6. Mud splatters - take some of your clay wash after everything is done and use a stiff brush and about 6 inches out from the object flick it with small dots of pant then dab it off. This will leave the effect of drayed muddy water splatter.
7. Blood - not done in the pic yet but take a dropper and load it with pant and drop it on the model from height it will make blood splatters. If you’re looking for larger use a spoon. Make sure to thin it out, so it splatters.
8. Clear coat if you’re worried about messing up put a clear coat down before step 3 acrylic if you don’t take to long will wash off if your model is smooth and does not have scratches.

281248_265015013512066_100000107093151_1221224_567625_n.jpg

228849_264595470220687_100000107093151_1219645_2031119_n.jpg

283916_257779747568926_100000107093151_1187085_7831091_n.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion for what to use for the Master Chief's cheek lights? Obviously LEDs, but I assume most people are putting some kind of a clear bubble shaped plastic piece over them to give it the right external appearance. I'm having a difficult time finding anything in this shape that is also transparent. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back