**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on my boots now & wanted to say thank you for showing how you attached the armor cover - was wondering about that! I am subscribed to this build thread & will be using it as one of my references as I progress - great job on your armor & battle rifle!

I am working on my boots now & wanted to say thank you for showing how you attached the armor cover - was wondering about that! I am subscribed to this build thread & will be using it as one of my references as I progress - great job on your armor & battle rifle!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that my build is still useful. With everyone shifting over to Halo 4 builds, I was afraid that all this was getting obsolete.

In other news:
I haven't heard anything from the director of the short movie I performed in back in November, but he mentioned that he would be working on it until near the end of this month. I'll end up linking the video in this thread, so keep an eye out for that.

I heard from the director of the movie the other day. He sent me a short clip (no audio and only a few seconds long) which he was going to use. I asked if I could post a few screen shots and he agreed.

As mentioned, this was a very short clip, and sort of panned through a bit of action (one UNSC militia and the spartan moving into combat). Think of this as something captured from a classified field cam, similar to the firefight which was hacked by the cadet in Forward Unto Dawn.

01-2_zps57d64c8e.png

02-2_zps9736eea1.png

03-1_zpsf7ea0f6d.png

04-1_zpsdbc3553e.png

05-1_zps835c9e61.png

The film clip cuts to black right after that last picture, so you really only get a glimpse of the spartan.

I've been told that the major editing of the film is complete and all that remains now is audio and final touch-ups. This is getting exciting!

Cool, looking forward to seeing more of it! Did you get any indication as to the length of the finished product? I swear, I still end up referencing this thread at least once a week when I have questions about something. Speaking of which... as a build that's seen some use, are there any particular places where you've noticed structural weakness or that need additional reinforcement?

Did you get any indication as to the length of the finished product?

It's going to be a short film, so I don't expect more than 5 minutes or so, maybe less.

as a build that's seen some use, are there any particular places where you've noticed structural weakness or that need additional reinforcement?

The boots are by far the weakest part of my armor. One buckle on each boot broke loose during the first ten minutes of shooting the movie. They were repaired and have not come loose since. In the near future, I plan on either rebuilding them and super-reinforcing them, or rebuilding them out of foam. Also, anywhere there is a lip (where the paper folds over 90 degrees to give the illusion of thickness); quite a few of those have been broken off over time. However, that's not a huge deal since it's such a minor detail and it's not really noticeable.

Everything else seems to be holding up pretty nicely.

Good to know; thanks for the info. Since I use the Bondo Hair and resin mix the lips get filled in pretty well, but I'll pay a little closer attention to the reinforcement and construction on the boots when I get that far.

Ok then, the forums are back to full strength! Since the last few posts that were made were lost due to the reboot, I figured I'd go ahead and repost these pictures. The director of the short film has chosen a color grade for the picture. In these two shots, you can see the difference from the raw footage (left) and the filtered footage (right). Not bad at all. The detail in the armor really pops out in the filtered pictures, especially in the second picture (I'm glad I included a lot of detail in the armor).

HG_ColorCorrectionGrade2_zps4b8f53b7.png

HG_ColorCorrection-Grade1_zpsf1b03cc0.png

I love the pics man. You're right, the details do pop out, and it looks righteous! Great job. Any word on when we get to see the film or clips of it??

Any word on when we get to see the film or clips of it??

Not as of yet. But he just recently graduated college, so I'm assuming that he's busy trying to find some sort of employment. Since this is an independent project, I imagine it often takes a backseat to life; which is understandable. I have no doubt, however, that it will get finished.

Not as of yet. But he just recently graduated college, so I'm assuming that he's busy trying to find some sort of employment. Since this is an independent project, I imagine it often takes a backseat to life; which is understandable. I have no doubt, however, that it will get finished.

Yeah i was in an independant film once and it took my friend a while to get it finished. I know he was a busy guy so i understand. Just want to see it badly lol

Update time!

I mentioned that my boots are the weakest part of my suit. Well, it's time to work on some new boots. This time, out of foam. I'm trying my hand at it for now since this is my first time actually building something like this with foam (I tried out a Reach shin a while back and it turned out alright).

For now, I'm working on the left boot. When I get it built and I'm happy with the way it looks, I'll start on the right and I'll post more progress pictures.

DSCN1798_zpsea1439dc.jpg

DSCN1799_zps57896cae.jpg

DSCN1800_zps8921d0b1.jpg

DSCN1801_zps49beff0a.jpg

I heard from the director a few weeks ago. He sent a short action test clip trying out the HUD from the recording device of one of the infantrymen. It needed a little work (and he knew this) but it looked pretty sweet.

Resin? On foam?

Is it resin or is it epoxy? I saw the epoxy in the background of the last boot photo. About time somebody tried this direction. It should still be slightly flexible, but hard enough at the surface to sand (and Bondo). If it works out, you've solved a great problem with foam--eliminating the seams.

Brilliant--if it works of course!

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back