**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I just wanted to show everyone the new support structure I developed for crackhead09's MkVI thighs...

Support1.jpg

Support2.jpg

Basically, what I've done is close the bottom in order to maintain the shape. The last pair of thighs I built had trouble maintaining this opening shape. Then, I added a support near the top to maintain that opening shape and one which provides a diagonal brace to maintain the overall model shape. I completed my right thigh using these supports and they worked wonderfully. The only catch is that you have to transfer the two support braces (top and diagonal) to a rigid medium. I used 1/4" foam core. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post the .pdo file for them.

Here's another little update. Since I'm still stuck at school, and still have access to the laser cutter, I've started construction on this...

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

I developed a sliced file for the M7 Caseless SMG using different thicknesses of basswood (specifically 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" thicknesses). Since this is wood, and the SMG has a lot of curved pieces, I'll be doing a lot of sanding on this later on.

My Battle Rifle is still in the same state, but I WILL be finishing it as soon as I finish up school in May. And I will keep up with the vids for the construction progress on that. So, keep watching and let me know what you think.

Nice update there buddy!! Everything so far is great work. Watching your build, I've been trying to find someone locally that would do some laser cutting, as I can see that it is very advantageous. Keep it up sir.

-Matt

Wow carpathia, everything is looking awesome! I am glad i saw this thread +1 to subscription :)

Another quick update. I've finished pepping my left thigh, you can see how the construction progressed using the new base support and how the braces work out. I used 1/16" bass wood I had on hand for the braces.

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

I should be able to resin this thigh this weekend and get my other boot hardened. I think I have enough bondo to start smoothing out the boots as well. So, keep an eye here.

That bottom opening support would have been helpful a while ago! Instead I need to cut out a side and refiberglass it to be bigger. Oh well!

That bottom opening support would have been helpful a while ago!

Yeah, with Halo 4 coming out, I think many will be wanting to start building that armor, so the demand for anything Halo 3 related will be low, so I don't expect a lot of people to want the supports. However, since I HATE the H4 armor (for now), and I want to wear something to the release, I figured H3 armor would be appropriate.

I managed to finally get the left thigh resined today (right before it started to rain, again). So, hopefully I can get the other boot hardened and both smoothed soon so I can start to focus on the thighs. I took some time to size the cod piece the other day and have the correct size planned out. I've also developed a new support structure for the cod in much the same way I did for the thighs. I figured that this would be a good idea since every cod piece I've built in the past has been near impossible to resin without some warping.

Anyway, keep an eye out for more updates.

holy crap dude i think i just crapped myself!!! that is the most beautiful suit i have seen in a long time great job cant wait to see it when you are done

Thanks everyone for your compliments.

I've got another quick update. I mentioned that I developed a new support structure for the cod/belt (modeled by Crackhead09) similar to the one I developed for the thighs. I managed to get the cod pepped, so I thought I would go ahead and share it with you.

Here are a few pics of the new structure...
DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

...and one of the new cross-bracing...
DSCN0818.jpg

In these pictures, you can see how well the cod holds its shape with this structure...
DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

So, it's all coming together. Soon I will have the lower half of the armor finished and I can start on the arms and torso, and I'll be finished! Let me know what you think.

I like that a lot. My problem is that for the front of the cod, my waist doesn't stick out in the front and round like that. I was thinking about sectioning mine so I have a sort of middle and 2 sides for the front of the cod.

That should help prevent warping. Looks really sturdy. Are you planning to fibreglass the cod before cutting it out? Or just resin it before taking out the supports?

That should help prevent warping. Looks really sturdy. Are you planning to fibreglass the cod before cutting it out? Or just resin it before taking out the supports?

Yeah, it's very solid right now. The supports really help. To answer your question, I plan on applying two coats of resin to the exterior then removing the cross bracing. Then I'll apply fiberglass cloth to the interior before I remove the side structures. That way, the cod should hold its shape throughout the entire process.

You know those new support file would be perfect for molding/casting.;)

Love what I'm seeing tho.

Well, school's finally finished! Until I begin the move to the town where my job is, I'll be diving back into this! I got some work done on the boots today. Namely, picked up this...

DSC04940-1.jpg

DSC04941.jpg

I planned on using them for a number of parts of my armor for this build. For the boots...

DSC04942.jpg

...they will become the soles.

DSC04943.jpg

DSC04945.jpg

Since I don't want to glue my boot down into the armor, I decided to make a boot harness...

DSC04946.jpg

DSC04951.jpg

I glued the harness down with "Shoe Goo" that can be found practically anywhere you can find shoes, shoe shine kits or laces. It's meant for shoe repair and is a pretty strong glue.

Here is how the boot fits into the armor harness...

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04954.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04956.jpg

...and all the extra bits...

DSC04957.jpg

Half an irrigation drain
DSC04958.jpg

And when I get the boot finished, this top part will fit in securely and hold the irrigation half in as well.

That's pretty much it for now. I'm currently working on getting the left boot harness put together. After they are both assembled, I'll apply a little bondo where needed and get them painted and they'll be finished.

Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back