**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow...Nice work around on the boots. I may have to start sending people you're way on how to that one.;)

Awesome build altogether :cool

First coat of primer!!!

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

I still have a little more clean up to do, but we're getting somewhere.

Yeah man, thanks for the tip about the buckles. They look so much better than those ugly bolt heads!

Another updated coming at ya! I got the boots painted tonight. All that's left is to add in the black-wash and the final weathering and some flat black details, then hit the foam treads with some Plastidip to give them their black color again and they'll be finished! Here are the pics...

DSCN0906.jpg

**As you can probably see, the masking tape pulled some of the green up when I sprayed the metal color onto the toes, I'll be fixing that when I detail the boots**
DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

Since I photographed them with my boots in and pretty much all put together, I tried to squeeze my shin armor over the top of the boots to see how they looked proportionally. IMO, they look pretty good together...

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

**The shins will be sitting up higher than this when they're on my legs**

So, the boots should be finished by tomorrow. Then I can finally start getting to business on my thighs. Let me know what you think.

Woah! What did you use in the middle and where can I get some?

It's a section of an 4" diameter irrigation drain pipe cut in half (one half for each foot). Here is a picture of what the product looks like...

th_ads_4_drainage_pipe_50_flexible_35_winslow_10106492.jpg

The problem is that this type of piping (found in lots of hardware stores like Lowe's, Menards, etc) comes in fairly long lengths (the shortest I am aware of is 25'). I was lucky enough to find a 2' section on a relative's property. What I would suggest is to look around some construction sites (ASK someone that works there, don't do a midnight run) and see if they have any scraps of this stuff.

I plan on using some more between the top of the boots and the bottom of the shins in order to hide the top of my work boots and to keep some uniform separation. The only issue I will have to deal with is the sound the pieces will make when I move around. I am trying to avoid a very "plastic" sound when I move. I've pretty effectively silenced my boots with the use of some strategically placed foam, so I'll probably do something similar there too.

Anyway, hope that leads you in the right direction.

I've looked into products similar but yours appears to have the look of a wide ribbed rubber almost. Thanks for the help! I'll look into it.

I've looked into products similar but yours appears to have the look of a wide ribbed rubber almost. Thanks for the help! I'll look into it.
It looks that way because it's been given a coating of flat black to hide some of the markings printed on the plastic. If you take a look at the left boot, there is still a white line that sort of shows through right down the middle.

This is shaping up very nicely. Impressive build sir. I will add that there are some locations, rarely anymore, that sell the corrugated 4" drain tile in 10' lengths.

-Matt

I will add that there are some locations, rarely anymore, that sell the corrugated 4" drain tile in 10' lengths.

Must be very few places that do, but I wouldn't doubt it. Still, when you're only using about a foot, that's a lot of waste since there's not much else it would be good for in a costume build like this. I had the same problem when I attached the sump pump sections to the cheeks of my helmet. I got the hose for free, but now I've got about 24' of useless hose. It's best and more economical (and usually free) to try to find some scraps (although that can be difficult as well).

I don't like the look of the sharp pointed corrugated piping. Similar to the plunger method. When I saw yours I was like "I need that!". I'm thinking about using some foam and vinyl. I'm not to that part yet though.

Ok, I know that you all must be getting sick of boot updates (j/k, I hope), so here is the last one. I finished them up last night.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

I will likely have an updated picture of the level of completion (found on post 2) later on tonight. As the week goes on, I'll be posting updates of the thighs. I don't expect the thighs to take as long as the boots took since they won't require the attention the boots required (connection details, elaborate strapping, etc).

That's it for now, let me know what you think.

Thanks Mac! I look forward to seeing your boots as well.

Well, as promised, albeit a little late, here is the updated picture of my level of completion...

DSCN0911copy.jpg

I'm not sure why it looks like I'm squatting a little in the picture on the right, but whatever.

I also kind of turned on the afterburners and went to town on the thighs. I finished up the bondo stage and applied a coat of primer to bring out the imperfections and added some (yeah, some) spot putty to clean them up. It's possible that these could be painted by the end of the weekend. Then I'll add in the foam inner thighs, strapping and lights and the thighs will be finished. Here are the pics...

DSCN0918.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

This build feels like it's finally starting to pick up. I've started doing some size testing for the biceps. I've already got the size perfected for the torso and it's ready to print whenever I get there (the torso will be the last piece of armor I will build for this suit).

Anyway, that's it for now. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back