**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
uber uber uber sweet!!! love the foam accents you set in the bicep pieces, coming together very awesomely keep it up!!

WOW! Just wow! I think I'll have to redo some things before you finish. ;)

I've got to do SOMETHING that you haven't already done.:D

I just realized that yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of the beginning of this thread. It will be nice to see this build come to a close and the start of the documentation of showing the armor off at the H4 release and other events.

Tonight, I get to work on my cod, so keep an eye out.

I'm gonna have to keep up with you so that I don't look like a scrub when we meet up(Sometime in the future I hope)! :p

I'm gonna have to keep up with you so that I don't look like a scrub when we meet up(Sometime in the future I hope)! :p

Dude, your armor is among the best I've seen. Right up there with Longshot and Cyberben (really, even better than the suit Adam used to show off). I just hope that mine will compare; I think I'm doing pretty well, so...

And, yeah, one of these days we'll have to meet up, if only to compare our armor first hand.

Dude, your armor is among the best I've seen. Right up there with Longshot and Cyberben (really, even better than the suit Adam used to show off). I just hope that mine will compare; I think I'm doing pretty well, so...

And, yeah, one of these days we'll have to meet up, if only to compare our armor first hand.

That feels good hearing that! Thank you!!! :D Also, I still have adjustments that need to be made and some minor tweaks. The convention this weekend will help figure that out. I really appreciate it!! Your armor will definitely surpass mine though. :)

A tiny bit of progress tonight. First off, I snapped a picture of an armored arm to see how everything looks...

DSCN1097.jpg

Honestly, I'm worried that the bicep looks a tad small. However, I'm not redoing it at this point, maybe sometime after launch.

I also started on the fiberglassing of my cod tonight...

DSCN1098.jpg

I didn't get as far as I would have liked tonight. I got out my supplies to fiberglass my cod piece only to find out that I was very low on a lot of my supplies, namely fiberglass cloth, brushes and plastic cups. Ugh. So, I did what I could with what I had. This is as far as I got...

DSCN1099.jpg

I laid down the remainder of my fiberglass cloth. Then I had an unopened pack of fiberglass mat, which I've been saving for the cod piece and the torso, so I opened it and cut some pieces and got that in too. The resin is curing as I type this, so I have yet to feel how strong it is with the multiple layers, but I imagine it will be quite strong.

So, tomorrow, I'll have to head out to pick up some supplies. I think tonight I'll focus on electronics for the thighs and the forearms.

Keep watching, there may be another update tonight.

Ok then. Got some electronics work done. I tried something new and it took a little longer than I had anticipated, and I only had one switch I could use, so I'll have to add that to my list of things to pick up tomorrow.

Anyway, I started with the right thigh. I cut a small mat board strip about 2" long and 1/4" wide and installed 4 LEDs. Then I glued a piece of mat board about 3/4" wide to it to create a cover. Then I glued the assembly into place...

DSCN1100.jpg

...and tested that circuit (for the 5th or 6th time since I had built it)...

DSCN1101.jpg

It looked pretty good, so I built another assembly, glued it into place and completed the wiring. The new thing I tried was adding in strips of craft foam to cover the wires and the assemblies in order to keep the inside of the thigh wire-free.

DSCN1102.jpg

That way, no wires or anything would snag as I put the thigh on. The battery switch was mounted into place just below the top ridge, and the switch up through the same ridge also ensuring that they would be out of the way...

DSCN1103.jpg

...And the completed thigh...

DSCN1104.jpg

Now I've got a huge mess to clean up.

Regarding the cod, for some reason the resin I used to fiberglass it is still very sticky. I may have to mix up some resin and brush it on over top of the fiberglass tomorrow before I continue glassing the cod. I've never had this sort of trouble with resin before, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Anyway, that's it for now. Let me know what you think!!!

Finished paint looks awesome. Love you're technical skill in detailing each part as you go along.

wow man so much stuff you have done since i last looked lol. Very nice! I love it all. GReat job

Those almost look like CCFL! That's awesome! I also ponder the idea of doing inner thighs in foam.

That's what I love about using the sides of a CD case, they spread the light out evenly so you don't get the "spot light" look.

I was going to leave the pepped inner thighs in, but when I was test-fitting my old thighs, I started to walk around and found that the tops of the inner pieces were pinching together very *delicate* parts of my body :(. So when I started my new thighs, I decided to not even risk it.

That's what I love about using the sides of a CD case, they spread the light out evenly so you don't get the "spot light" look.

I was going to leave the pepped inner thighs in, but when I was test-fitting my old thighs, I started to walk around and found that the tops of the inner pieces were pinching together very *delicate* parts of my body :(. So when I started my new thighs, I decided to not even risk it.

I used the same thing to diffuse the lights on my helmet and CQB chest attachment. I found that it needed a little more however, so I cut a piece from the lid that comes on bondo resin containers behind the cd case piece to diffuse a little more. Oh, and Christmas lights FTW!!!:D

Thighs are done!!

DSCN1105.jpg

So that means...

zz.jpg

I went out to Harbor Freight today to pick up some more brushes, but they were out! I'll have to try again next week. I did pick up some more fiberglass cloth, but not until late and by the time I got home, it was after dark, so I just worked on the electronics for my other thigh. It went much more smoothly this time. Tomorrow, I'll try to get more of the cod glassed. I do still have a few brushes left. Then I'll get on the electronics and strapping for the biceps and finish them up.

It's all coming together! Let me know what you think.

I didn't think of that. I've been trying to figure out how to get the side lights on the Spartan Laser to be evenly lit. Thank you.

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back