Halo Reach Elite Sculpt (Well Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is phenominal! You put my mold to shame! (yes ill get the pic on the thread) Just wondering where you got the helmet pep, i cant find a Elite Ultra one..havnt really tried...

Man, I could already tell, this is gonna be a b**** to mold...good luck!
Yeah, but I think I have a pretty good plan in place to do it. That the key, developing a good plan before you start sloshing expensive mold making stuff all over something. Lol Thanks for viewing my man.
This is phenominal! You put my mold to shame! (yes ill get the pic on the thread) Just wondering where you got the helmet pep, i cant find a Elite Ultra one..havnt really tried...
Thanks my man :) I still would like to see your take on the Elite. I’ll be following your thread, good luck on your build!
No problem at all man. I'm glad I can give back to someone who has contributed so much to the community.
Thanks for the awesome comment my man. I try, I really believe in how we all help each other out here. It’s special :). We have a great community and it’s always nice to have people like yourself join up and start contributing. Thanks again!

Well, here is my attempted at creating some skin detail. I can still redo stuff at this point, so if it doesn’t look believable, I would appreciate people saying so. Thanks for viewing my thread guys! Also, I apologize about the low quality photos (Taken from my junk box droid).

IMG_20110913_235900.jpg

IMG_20110913_194343.jpg

IMG_20110914_000103.jpg

IMG_20110914_000153.jpg

IMG_20110914_000234.jpg

Thanks again!

-Tony

That is looking really good Tony!! The detail going into it is really starting to show. Keep it up buddy!!

-Matt

Tony,
Your detial lines look really good. Did you use Thorn's method? I want to try the pastic wrap myself on one of my next sculptures. Remember to keep the fold lines runing perpendicular to the contors of the muscle unless you want it to look like muscle fibers. So far you are headed to a very successful sculpture. If you can get a High-Res image of the face, I may be able to help with some of the crease patterns if you'd like. Personally I am really enjoying seeing this come together each time you update.

Keep it up!

-Cagle

edit: I was just looking up texture techniques and found a way to imitate skin folds well for reference. You start with a piece of stretchy fabric like lycra. Attach a dowel to diaganal corners. You can use the dowels to pull the fabric and stretch it much like skin would stretch at joints. It creates natural folds that can then be drawn or photographed to give you a great reference point for sculpting.You can also take an object and push the fabric from the back to see how the fold wrap over different shapes like skin on muscle.

wow.. just wow.. do you plan on (after the mold) doin it in plastic or a latex and soft foam pull?

That is looking really good Tony!! The detail going into it is really starting to show. Keep it up buddy!!

-Matt

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. I'll try and finish up the other side tonight and do some tweaks on some stuff.

Tony,
Your detial lines look really good. Did you use Thorn's method? I want to try the pastic wrap myself on one of my next sculptures. Remember to keep the fold lines runing perpendicular to the contors of the muscle unless you want it to look like muscle fibers. So far you are headed to a very successful sculpture. If you can get a High-Res image of the face, I may be able to help with some of the crease patterns if you'd like. Personally I am really enjoying seeing this come together each time you update.

Keep it up!

-Cagle

edit: I was just looking up texture techniques and found a way to imitate skin folds well for reference. You start with a piece of stretchy fabric like lycra. Attach a dowel to diaganal corners. You can use the dowels to pull the fabric and stretch it much like skin would stretch at joints. It creates natural folds that can then be drawn or photographed to give you a great reference point for sculpting.You can also take an object and push the fabric from the back to see how the fold wrap over different shapes like skin on muscle.

Thanks again Starvin! I actually did multiple different techniques. I used some bamboo skewers and some armature wire to make the deeper folds. I used Thorns Idea with the plastic and I made some what of a texture stamp using crumpeled up paper. Before I did Thorn & the texture stamping Idea, I used some mineral spirits to get rid of som of the hard edges that the skewers & wire made. But basicly, Im using multiple different methods and suggestions to do this. So far, its coming up with some very decent results. I'll try and get some high res photos up if I can borrow my buddies camera. Unfortunately the camera flash drowns out some of the finer wrinkles. Thanks again for your suggestions. I like the lycra idea, I'll have to try it.

wow.. just wow.. do you plan on (after the mold) doin it in plastic or a latex and soft foam pull?

I would imagine that after I make the two molds, I will have the option to do what you have suggested. Im planning to make Urethane hard castings first. Then move on to a silicone casting (using dragon skin FX pro) in the shell shock mold. I would like to eventually make a full elite, but I'll have to develop some skills first. Namely working with the EVA foam like you do. It would be pretty cool to do a full Elite like mander, I'm just a noob though trying to figure this stuff out.lol. :)

Anyways, I appreciate everyone viewing the thread and giving me some great feedback. I'm definitely motivated to finish this beast.

Thanks again guys!

-Tony

Tony, you are really bringin' it home now buddy. The texturing looks great IMO. Can't wait to see it finished.

Looking sweet, And I glade that I could be of some help to someone whom has been so inspirational to me. (Even tho it looks like you didn't really it). I can't wait to see how this turns out, So please keep us posted.

Looking sweet, And I glade that I could be of some help to someone whom has been so inspirational to me. (Even tho it looks like you didn't really it). I can't wait to see how this turns out, So please keep us posted.

Thanks man! Means a lot, I guess that means we inspire each other. Love your build too. Be good.

-Tony

Have I posted yet how totally awesome this is? If not, I have TOTALLY meant to on more than one occasion! The skin is turning out very nicely, and the teeth? OMG!!! Please keep it up, and thanks for all the tips and inspiration!

I noticed you said you'll be using Shell Shock for your mother mold. I just got done using that stuff. I put a small write-up of my initial impressions of it in my Samus build thread. My opinion of it has not improved since I finished de-molding. If you're planning on using it by itself, PLEASE consider reconsidering!! From my inexperienced experience, it's extremely brittle... my mother mold broke and snapped off in a few critical places where I failed to properly reinforce it. Admittedly, I did have to manhandle it to get the two halves of the mother mold to separate, since my registration key placement and general molding plan weren't very good, so you may have better luck. Judging from your Reach helmet, you're MUCH better at mold planning than I am (my 3D spatial "sense" is terrible, and I would LOVE some tips on how you would have done mine!)

Anyway, about Shell Shock... It's basically just a thicker urethane resin. Think SmoothCast, but with viscosity. It's self-leveling, and picks up detail REALLY well, so if your silicone glove mold is really smooth and perfect, and you want your mother mold really tight up on it, it would be good as a first layer, so long as you back it up with something stronger. Also could see it as being not a bad choice if you have a large mold and you need to get into areas where Smooth Cast doesn't seem to stay while slush casting. Other, more experienced members may have had better experiences with it but, for me, as the only mother mold material, I would not recommend it. If you've already bought it, though, you might also get some chopped fibers of some sort to mix in with it. Or, after brushing on a nice thick coat (which may be difficult, as it's very runny), lay on some strips of fiberglass cloth, or burlap, or cheese cloth, or something. Then again, I also only put on single layers of it over the top of thin layers of Plasti-Paste, so maybe multiple, thicker coats would work out fine for you.

Again, your work is beautiful!! Thanks much, and keep it up!!

[EDIT] Just re-read your plan of how you're planning on using it. As long as you either build it up and/or reinforce it you should be fine, and I think it could work well for your first hard casting, too.[/EDIT]

Have I posted yet how totally awesome this is? If not, I have TOTALLY meant to on more than one occasion! The skin is turning out very nicely, and the teeth? OMG!!! Please keep it up, and thanks for all the tips and inspiration!

I noticed you said you'll be using Shell Shock for your mother mold. I just got done using that stuff. I put a small write-up of my initial impressions of it in my Samus build thread. My opinion of it has not improved since I finished de-molding. If you're planning on using it by itself, PLEASE consider reconsidering!! From my inexperienced experience, it's extremely brittle... my mother mold broke and snapped off in a few critical places where I failed to properly reinforce it. Admittedly, I did have to manhandle it to get the two halves of the mother mold to separate, since my registration key placement and general molding plan weren't very good, so you may have better luck. Judging from your Reach helmet, you're MUCH better at mold planning than I am (my 3D spatial "sense" is terrible, and I would LOVE some tips on how you would have done mine!)

Anyway, about Shell Shock... It's basically just a thicker urethane resin. Think SmoothCast, but with viscosity. It's self-leveling, and picks up detail REALLY well, so if your silicone glove mold is really smooth and perfect, and you want your mother mold really tight up on it, it would be good as a first layer, so long as you back it up with something stronger. Also could see it as being not a bad choice if you have a large mold and you need to get into areas where Smooth Cast doesn't seem to stay while slush casting. Other, more experienced members may have had better experiences with it but, for me, as the only mother mold material, I would not recommend it. If you've already bought it, though, you might also get some chopped fibers of some sort to mix in with it. Or, after brushing on a nice thick coat (which may be difficult, as it's very runny), lay on some strips of fiberglass cloth, or burlap, or cheese cloth, or something. Then again, I also only put on single layers of it over the top of thin layers of Plasti-Paste, so maybe multiple, thicker coats would work out fine for you.

Again, your work is beautiful!! Thanks much, and keep it up!!

[EDIT] Just re-read your plan of how you're planning on using it. As long as you either build it up and/or reinforce it you should be fine, and I think it could work well for your first hard casting, too.[/EDIT]

Thanks for the great compliment Shadokat. Much appreciate, I dig your work too. Yeah, I've kind of been brainstorming it up on how to approach this. I think I have a solid plan, Just need to do it. It will be a long process. It will be my first molding Marathon...lol. Thanks again my man!

This is epic! Makes me wanna do something with an Elite since all the cool kids are doing it!

Yeah, I know right. Funny thing is I've been planning this for a good while. I started thinking about it when I made the Elite tooth in my carter/commando build. Anyways, great job on your build too!

Ok, in other news, I finally got to rebuilding the botched helmet. I scaled it down and manage to cut out most of the pieces today. I have 8 pages left of the 42 total pages, yeah! Anyways, I hope to have some pics of the new helmet up within the next couple days.

IMG_20110925_195439.jpg

IMG_20110925_195331.jpg

Thanks again, to everyone who has viewed and or commented, Definitely keeps me motivated.

-Tony

42 pages?! For a helmet!? What kinda helmet is this!!!!???? Hahaha great job, looks phenominal. Keep it up!

Lol, an Elite sized one. Check some pages back and you can see my mess up. I gave Satchmo the wrong measurements, so I ended up with the wrong sized Noggin guard. Anyhoo, I'm rebuilding that bad boy in the next few days. Also, Its 42 pages of big parts, so im not an allstar, its just an easy pep, especially since it has a good layout.

-Tony

I actually don't know man, I wish i could help. However, I haven't made an inorganic sculpt yet. I believe they are harder. Symetry and all. he Elite sculpt is my first, but its organic nature of it allows some flexibility. With that said, Talk to Skylow, he made a rediculously good Noble 6 and he would probably know the best way to achieve the results you want. Also, Sean Bradley is highly skilled at doing inorganic sculpts. Just look at his ODST Helm. Sorry for not being able to answer question, I feel bad. :(

-Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back