Halo Reach Elite Sculpt (Well Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great...it's really starting to take form.

Did you wind up decreasing the overall size of the teeth (from that of some of the earlier chompers)? I like that last image of the teeth, it looks like something you might find in a biology textbook or from some archeological dig report.

Good luck with finishing up the detail-work!

You are really getting close Tony. Man that's a lot of teeth!

Lol, thanks Vshore. Hopefully I can wrap this up, I have everything I need to make the two molds, just need to wrap this model up.

The teeth are just like the spartan program. Keep the best, chuck the bads. lol

Yes sir, only the best. the rest get thrown into a desk drawer..lol. Thanks for viewing my man.

Looks great...it's really starting to take form.

Did you wind up decreasing the overall size of the teeth (from that of some of the earlier chompers)? I like that last image of the teeth, it looks like something you might find in a biology textbook or from some archeological dig report.

Good luck with finishing up the detail-work!

Thank my man, yes I did sir, They were really to big (Kind of made it look to much like the Jurassic park spinasaur) . I need to finish these teeth up so I can put them on the model. I'll take pictures, so you can see the scale at a later date. I also, need to print out the model again and dude a 2 to 3 day pepakura marathon again...lol.

Thanks again guys for viewing my thread!

-Tony

Poor bad teeth, what a dark, dark way to end...You said you were gonna mold more than one tooth, or just the absolute best?

lol!

Hey guys, slight update. Havent really been able to do much with the elite. But here is the new teeth test fit progress. I think they look better than the other teeth because they are smaller. Well let me know.

IMG_20110906_233904.jpg

IMG_20110906_233925.jpg

IMG_20110908_221048.jpg

IMG_20110908_221100.jpg

IMG_20110908_221112.jpg

IMG_20110908_221316.jpg

IMG_20110908_221332.jpg

I did get this in the mail, thanks Nick Nack Patty Wack. The goal is to mold this when I mold the elite.

IMG_20110907_173650.jpg

IMG_20110907_173339.jpg

Thanks guys!

that is insane.. that is going to be one heck of a mold to make though.. i couldn't imagine how to do it.

that is insane.. that is going to be one heck of a mold to make though.. i couldn't imagine how to do it.

Thanks man! I appreciate it. BTW, your suits looked A-MaZing! at Dragoncon, I wasn't there, just saw a whole lot of pictures!:)

Heres the general idea on molding. Still in planning phase. Also, sorry it looks like a drunk monkey drew this.lol

IMG_20110909_204008.jpg

looks perfect, not much else is able to describe it! great work man, I'm very impressedas usual

Thanks man, Its definitely getting close. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon. BTW, love your security build my friend! Awesome job!

-Tony

Tony,
I dont' know how I missed this thread before but let me start by saying it looks great. Very solid sculpt.

I'd like to offer a couple suggestions on texturing before you get too much further.

First, your spot on when you say the skin needs a "leather" like look. After reading descriptions in the books and looking at all the references I'd say that is the closest real life texture you'll find.
Second, leather is an easy texture to get if you use a tried and true method. Since you have molding experience, this is what you should do. Take a section of leather material and using a flexible mold material create a one sided thin cast of the mold. Use the negative cast and press the texture into your model. If you want to make a more permanent texture tool you can attach the mold to a dowel with a wide diameter and roll the texture onto the sculpture.

If you like the idea and more info let me know. I can send you a couple pics of examples if you'd like.

Tony,
I dont' know how I missed this thread before but let me start by saying it looks great. Very solid sculpt.

I'd like to offer a couple suggestions on texturing before you get too much further.

First, your spot on when you say the skin needs a "leather" like look. After reading descriptions in the books and looking at all the references I'd say that is the closest real life texture you'll find.
Second, leather is an easy texture to get if you use a tried and true method. Since you have molding experience, this is what you should do. Take a section of leather material and using a flexible mold material create a one sided thin cast of the mold. Use the negative cast and press the texture into your model. If you want to make a more permanent texture tool you can attach the mold to a dowel with a wide diameter and roll the texture onto the sculpture.

If you like the idea and more info let me know. I can send you a couple pics of examples if you'd like.

Please do! I've been struggling on the finishing of it because everything I try doesnt look right to me. Im also having trouble getting it sompletely smooth. It still has waves to it. I guess I can just keep doing the smoothing techniques Ive been doing, its working, its just real slow, or Im slow. Also, do you have experience making realistic skin folds. I woiuld think that around where the joints of the mandibles (basicly everywhere I would expect the "animal" to move) I would find wrinkles. I'm not really a sculptor, so this project has been a crash course. Thanks for your help Starvin! Much appreciated.

-Tony

Wow! Very neat work! I love the extreme attention for detail. (I'm a perfectionist to so don't worry!) Really am looking forward to seeing this done! Good luck...

Please do! I've been struggling on the finishing of it because everything I try doesnt look right to me. Im also having trouble getting it sompletely smooth. It still has waves to it. I guess I can just keep doing the smoothing techniques Ive been doing, its working, its just real slow, or Im slow. Also, do you have experience making realistic skin folds. I woiuld think that around where the joints of the mandibles (basicly everywhere I would expect the "animal" to move) I would find wrinkles. I'm not really a sculptor, so this project has been a crash course. Thanks for your help Starvin! Much appreciated.

-Tony

What I usually do for skin folds is to again use my texture sample. I bind it up just like a joint and then try to mimic that in my sculpt. It takes a little practice and if you don't have a texture sample you can use just about any rubbery material that flexes. Also, just like when your making armor, I can't stress how important reference images are. For an elite, even though you are going for leather, if you use images of reptiles you should be able to see how the skin folds around joints. Look for lizards with really small scales or even large snakes that are curled up. You'll notice as a large snake curls it's skin does wrinkle and it looks surprisingly like a joint even though the bones are different.

Be patient and keep experimenting. Most of my techniques for sculpture have come from either my own playing around or watching others try new things. Its crazy how much you can learn from mistakes.
Edit: here are a few images of stamps I found. Most of these are molded into standard clay but you can use either plasticine clay or mold materials like smooth cast as well. If your stamp is rigid then you want it to be curved like in the second image, but if you can make the stamp from a flexible material like a smoothcast product.
20_LavaStone_Minifaultlines_lighttexture.jpg

fdf5473a5313e0bc3acac1fe5f926a3c.jpg

napkinringred.jpg

Hope that helps for now.

hey I'm kind of a noob around the 405th and i have been wanting to to the exact same thing. like i said i have not that much sculpting experiance and just was wondering what materials were you using? And how long it took?

@Starvin, Thanks for the images, They definitely help. I'm going to try and make some texture stamps. Thanks again!

@Clarkman, Thanks for viewing my thread. I'm using Wood for the main sculptures armature & metal rods for the mandibles. THe clay I'm using is Klean Klay. Unfortunately they went under. I love the clay and it was recommended to me by Sean Bradley. When I bought it, it was cheaper the the Chavant stuff that a lot of people use. The molding material I will be using will consist of Dragon skin & SHell shock for the first mold which will be used for hard urethane castings. I will then make a second mold of straight up shell shock so I can pull silicone copies of the head. The teeth models are being made from epoxy plummers putty from Home depot. They will be molded using Dragon skin and acrylic castings will be made later on.

What I usually do for skin folds is to again use my texture sample. I bind it up just like a joint and then try to mimic that in my sculpt. It takes a little practice and if you don't have a texture sample you can use just about any rubbery material that flexes. Also, just like when your making armor, I can't stress how important reference images are. For an elite, even though you are going for leather, if you use images of reptiles you should be able to see how the skin folds around joints. Look for lizards with really small scales or even large snakes that are curled up. You'll notice as a large snake curls it's skin does wrinkle and it looks surprisingly like a joint even though the bones are different.

Be patient and keep experimenting. Most of my techniques for sculpture have come from either my own playing around or watching others try new things. Its crazy how much you can learn from mistakes.
Edit: here are a few images of stamps I found. Most of these are molded into standard clay but you can use either plasticine clay or mold materials like smooth cast as well. If your stamp is rigid then you want it to be curved like in the second image, but if you can make the stamp from a flexible material like a smoothcast product.
20_LavaStone_Minifaultlines_lighttexture.jpg

fdf5473a5313e0bc3acac1fe5f926a3c.jpg

napkinringred.jpg

Hope that helps for now.

That's a great idea! Black, keep up the great work!

Wow this is some really nice work you have going here. I would whole hartly go with the stamps for texturing and being Halloween is so close you should be able to pick up liquid latex almost at every costume store, It works great for this. I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Edit: After re-reading my post I see that it compliments you, But doesn't really help you. So I fig that I would add this... Being Starvinartist80 already covered stamps, I'll add the creases/winkles.

To do this all you need is some plastic wrap and you're sculpting tool. Once you have done you're basic line work take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it over you clay were you want to add you're creases/winkles. Rub it into and around you're lines. Then take you're sculpting tool and rub the plastic wrap into the lines. This will round off the edges and add smaller lines that spider off the ones you already have made thus giving it more detail. I normally do this after I add the basic texture and the go back and re-define that texture around the edges a little more. You can also use heavier plastic crumpled up into a ball to add the basic lines in a general sort of way, and then re-define those with the plastic wrap and sculpting tool.

Hope this helps. Thorn.

Wow this is some really nice work you have going here. I would whole hartly go with the stamps for texturing and being Halloween is so close you should be able to pick up liquid latex almost at every costume store, It works great for this. I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Edit: After re-reading my post I see that it compliments you, But doesn't really help you. So I fig that I would add this... Being Starvinartist80 already covered stamps, I'll add the creases/winkles.

To do this all you need is some plastic wrap and you're sculpting tool. Once you have done you're basic line work take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it over you clay were you want to add you're creases/winkles. Rub it into and around you're lines. Then take you're sculpting tool and rub the plastic wrap into the lines. This will round off the edges and add smaller lines that spider off the ones you already have made thus giving it more detail. I normally do this after I add the basic texture and the go back and re-define that texture around the edges a little more. You can also use heavier plastic crumpled up into a ball to add the basic lines in a general sort of way, and then re-define those with the plastic wrap and sculpting tool.

Hope this helps. Thorn.

It does Thorn! I appreciate all the Ideas people have been giving me. My biggest reason why I havent started molding this is because I am still learningto do the finer details such as skin folds, wrinkles, etc... I now have a lot more confiedense going into next week. I will trry and get some significant progress posted by the end of this week.

Thanks again for everything to both Thorn & Starvin! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back