Question Concerning Pepakura Designer Height and Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsir

I'm attempting to scale the chest piece from this thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31589-WAR-MACHINE-HIGH-DEF-Pepakura-files-TEAM-UP-second-try Using a method of comparing my height to a picture's height and creating a ratio to scale with.

When I scale the chest piece up to my size I get an absurdly large increase in model height, and when I scale the chest piece up to how tall it should be (as far as the movie goes) it is still a large increase to the model height (which I wouldn't expect).

I'm having trouble understanding how pepakura designer is calculating the model's height, width, and depth (or at least what axis it is working off of). When I compare the ratio of height to width of a size accurate picture of the chest piece to the model's height to width ratio, the two are off by about 15%. This is despite the fact that the model is very close to being movie accurate.

Is pepakura designer measuring off of different axis than I am or from different points on the model? Is there anyway I can avoid this headache or will a few peps be the best solution?

Well pepakura measure's to the outermost parts of the model and creates a "box" around it for the height, width and depth. I've had some grief when it comes to scaling pep files that have pieces floating around the model, as the program takes that as a part of the whole model.

The easiest way to figure which dim is which is to picture the "box" around the model and figure out which of the dims is either the largest or the smallest and then figure out what you would like that dimension to be. Just type that number in and the whole model is scalled... you won't need to worry about ratios.

Example... a model is showing 1000mm high, 500mm wide, and 600mm long. Look at the model and see which overall dimension is the greatest and that give you an idea to the height. Say you want it to be 2400 mm overall in height, so just type in that number and the rest of the heights will change to that ratio.

Man I hope that made an iota of sense. :)

That actually makes sense November, I appreciate the fast reply. Going to go attempt to figure out what's what!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back