halo reach custom foam armor wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaymin Sky

hey everyone. It's been a while for me and armor, but I'm making a suit for the Halo anniversary release. I saw the foam method a while back and thought I'd give it a try. After some research, trial and error, and some faith and patience, I came up with these pieces. ( I did really bad on posing the pieces, they look a lot better in real life.)
IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

these are the grenadier knees.
IMG_3321.jpg

I can produce more photos upon request.

There's the armor update. I've got some flexible spot putty and some perform-ix foam all to play around with. not sure which one I'm going to go with. It seems like the foam all would be better for sealing gaps and cracks while the flexible spot putty would work best on filling out edges. does Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on that?

I'm also looking into adding some LED to my suit. I've looked at some reference for multiplayer characters and they all have lights that are a blue/cyan color. Before I go and Google search it, I'd like to know if any 405th members have any suppliers they recommend. A referral would be most appreciated!

So I'm just about done, I've stated to work on the chest. I would have taken pics but right now its just a bunch of pieces and that's no fun to look at. :)

also please check out my thread about megaman legends 3. I've been trying to spread the word as much as possible.
legends never die

thanks for looking!

for sealing gaps and cracks I used drywall spackle from home depot. The spackle still cracks if flexed too much, but when its covered in plastidip, you don't see it anymore.

Great Work! Just a tip...you don't have to follow the pepakura lines exactly, if there's a small fold (such on the edge of the thighs) don't bother, unless you like the look of it (which I do)

I always like to see a good foam build. Not sure if you knew this or have tried it yet(it didn't look like it in the pics) But you can use heat to "form" the pieces. Like to flare the sides of the grenadier knees out a bit. Hope to see more on this project.

Dang that is looking realy good. this new method is taking over just wondering how hard is it to get the right shape (Mountain and Valley Folds)?

Your foam build is looking great so far. Although, I'm going to be a bit honest, the knees seem a bit wrong in shape. I'm not sure what to do about it since I haven't worked with foam like this yet. Everything else looks great though, keep going.

I use http://www.niktronixonline.com/ they have a great selection of LED's and are realy inexpencive
Thanks, It's definitely on my buy list.
Those look great, I love seeing foam, gives me inspiration! great work
your kind words are appreciated!
for sealing gaps and cracks I used drywall spackle from home depot. The spackle still cracks if flexed too much, but when its covered in plastidip, you don't see it anymore.
I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the advice!
Great Work! Just a tip...you don't have to follow the pepakura lines exactly, if there's a small fold (such on the edge of the thighs) don't bother, unless you like the look of it (which I do)
I just make the templates and follow them to the best of my ability.
Dang that is looking realy good. this new method is taking over just wondering how hard is it to get the right shape (Mountain and Valley Folds)?
I bet you share an account. lol. Nevertheless, much obliged. Getting the shape right is a matter of correctly beveling the edges of the foam to make it fit the shape of the file. I tend to work in front of my laptop so I can reference the pepakura file whenever I have doubts. It's super helpful to have a dremel or a belt sander in order to bevel the edges. The sander I use it the $50 model from harbor freight.(don't buy it, its a low quality piece of construction, for foam only). I use a dremel 4000 model for a rotary tool. It works on a scale of 35 and generally use 10 to 20 for speed. If you have any other questions you can feel free to PM me.
I always like to see a good foam build. Not sure if you knew this or have tried it yet(it didn't look like it in the pics) But you can use heat to "form" the pieces. Like to flare the sides of the grenadier knees out a bit. Hope to see more on this project.
I have a heat gun and use it frequently. I used it on the thighs to get the curved shape.
Your foam build is looking great so far. Although, I'm going to be a bit honest, the knees seem a bit wrong in shape. I'm not sure what to do about it since I haven't worked with foam like this yet. Everything else looks great though, keep going.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. The nature of the next update should please you.

Well after geting some feedback from everyone, I looked at the reference pictures included in the file pack I had, and the knees did look at bit wrong. So I fixed them and I added some details on the sides.
IMG_3328.jpg

the images really dont do it for some reason. My stuff seems to look lots better in real life. Anyhoo, feel free to comment or ask a question.

also please check out my thread about megaman legends 3. I've been trying to spread the word as much as possible.
legends never die

thanks for looking!

It looks about right. As long as the forearm isn't too long and doesn't seem to limit the mobility, it should be just fine as is. And being that it is foam and softer, you don't have to worry about it digging into your arm or anything. :p

dude, it looks right, and fits well in comparison to the game models, just get some more layers of foam on the inside so it can fit better, or some foam padding for more comfortability yet structure

So i've been busy.
IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

Chest and forearms are about 90% done. Just a few details to add on both and the chest needs a neck seal, the core piece and some small gap filling.

The helmet has also gotten some love recently. I really haven't taken any pictures yet though.

enjoi.

Hey great job! I think you may have changed a little of my opinion for foam armor...
Does it protect well? Is it comfortable? Is it worth the less work? ETC...
It looks awsome and I hope you continue with more good work!

Does it protect well? Is it comfortable? Is it worth the less work? ETC...
It looks awsome and I hope you continue with more good work!

Thanks. In my opinion it's definitely worth the less work. I you can hone your skills good enough with it you can achive a high level of detail with this stuff. What ive been able to do in this thread puts any efforts of pep armor on my behalf to shame.

Not Only do i perfer it more, after using it for so long, my brain has somewhat been trained around the stuff. It's like thinking with portals, except with foam.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back