halo reach custom foam armor wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow , just WOW
best foam build i have seen ,
Can i ask you some questions?

-How do you cut your pieces ? ( Printing Pep , measuring , or just out of the blue , while watching your screen ? )

-If you DO use pep files , are they high res or low res ?

-Do you have special Pep files ? like especially for foam ?

-Where did you get them , and how might i aquire the files for a whole team ? ( starting a team build Noble 1-5 )

-howmany builds did you do before , i mean WOW , this is Really Awesome !

I'm sorry if i'm over-posting you !
Happy Buildin' !

1.How do you cut your pieces ? ( Printing Pep , measuring , or just out of the blue , while watching your screen ? )
-typically you just cut out the pep foam files and trace them on foam, you scale them exactly the same way you scale pep armor

2.If you DO use pep files , are they high res or low res ?
-they actually aren't either, foam files differ from normal pep files because of the thickness of the foam vs cardstock paper

3.Do you have special Pep files ? like especially for foam ?
-Yes, yes we do

4.Where did you get them , and how might i aquire the files for a whole team ? ( starting a team build Noble 1-5 )
-there aren't really any permutation files out that I really know of, but these two threads contain foam files, just scroll till you find them

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31240-Foam-Pep-files?highlight=rundown+foam

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

make sure the files are FOAM files before getting confused

5.how many builds did you do before , i mean WOW , this is Really Awesome !
-I can't answer this for shaymin, but I've done one pep build and one foam build, the foam is in my signature below

hope this helps

Wow , just WOW
best foam build i have seen ,
Can i ask you some questions?

-How do you cut your pieces ? ( Printing Pep , measuring , or just out of the blue , while watching your screen ? )

-If you DO use pep files , are they high res or low res ?

-Do you have special Pep files ? like especially for foam ?

-Where did you get them , and how might i aquire the files for a whole team ? ( starting a team build Noble 1-5 )

-howmany builds did you do before , i mean WOW , this is Really Awesome !

I'm sorry if i'm over-posting you !
Happy Buildin' !

Well thank you. Pip pretty much beat me to the chase. This is my third build, but first to be fully completed. I've been poking around here for about 3 years tryin this stuff out. I'm glad I found the foam method. there's a bit of a learning curve, but I seem to do it better than bondo/fiberglass.

So time for an update. I finally got the Belt finished. Long story short, IT WAS HARD. The Dawn under haven files are really high def!
6284854886_60551ec4e0.jpg

You cant see it in the picture, but I left it unattached on one side, so I can get it on easier.

Been workin on this little beauty for a while now. thanks Steve. (hyperbalistik)
6284337711_0f25da2045.jpg

been debating whether to cut out the front slots in the vent and add fans. I'm somewhat leery, I have no electronic expertise.

SO in a more worded update, I have a schedule downpat for finishing this project up.

By the weekend of the 28-30
-all pieces will be assembled and heat treated
-helmet will be ready for visor installation and paint

By the weekend of the 4-6
-all pieces have filled gaps, fully sealed
-helmet has paint on it
-painting other pieces begins

by the weekend of the 11-13
-all pieces painted to an acceptable demeanor
-padding and strapping/ rigging the undersuit will be complete
-helmet will be completed
-EVERYTHING IS DONE!

So that's a rundown of what I must do. I've managed to work out the kinks in the sealing/gap filling process. I've got a method that might be a winner!

ont much else to say at this point. The boot are going together tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Thank you Very much , pip and shaymin ,
This helped US a lot !
I mean , the questions were pretty important for us , and the links , really , really helpfull !
Succes later on !

Can't wait till this one is done !
Happy Buildin' !

Well, I have an unfortunately tragic update on the armor.

So It was time to seal my armor. I decided to give up on the alex plus, because i looked at the drying time of 7-14 days. Owch. After considering my options, I decided to try out the mod podge. Thankfully, that worked out really well. It did a good job of sealing my pieces and not leaving them too porous. But then there was still the gaps and cracks. I tried out the hot glue method and found it to be too messy and inefective, doing more harm than good. So i decided to go with the flexible spot putty.

Now, with general spot putty on a helmet, you smear it on with your finger, making sure there is lots of excess in order to get an even sand, and fill the spot. SO i figured that it would be the same with this stuff. So, like an idiot, I did this on the biceps, knees, shins, forearms, and a thigh. All ruined. all of it. The problem is, this stuff, doesn't want to sand. At all. When I sand it by hand, it doesn't smooth out at all, starts to clot up, and leaves this disgusting bumpy look all over where it went. When I take a dremel or mouse sander to it( using the finest grit available, which is 220 grit.), the stuff starts to melt, and ruins the foam armor beneath it. what a selfish product. I've used 120, 220, 500, and this stuff stays.

at this point, I need a break. A long break. I don't think having the suit ready for CEA is an option anymore; Because now I have to start half My whole suit over again. And with school and winter coming, I dont think it's going to happen for a while.

the only good news here is that I didn't destroy all my armor. The chest, boots, cod , and one thigh are mod podged and really for seam filling. I think i'm going to leave them alone for awhile. let them sit until I can fix my mistakes. Hopefully by then, I'll know what do do.

I can't say anything else. I've simply failed, and I am truly ashamed. I would also like to apologize for such a self pitying post, but I had to get this off my chest. I feel terrible. and I hope that others can learn from my failure.

O.O oh my...I am sorry to hear that, but at least, your entire suit wasn't ruined. Hopefully after a little holiday break (or however long you take :p) everything will work out. You do great work, and I can't wait to see more once you get back into it. Don't think you have failed! like I said you do great, if not amazing, work. I have been building scale aircraft models since I was 12, i have screwed up a lot of good models, very close to competitions, so I know how you feel about not getting something done on a deadline. Don't be too hard on yourself, and have a good break :D see ya when you get back :)

im very sorry to hear that man, for future reference, i use plasti-dip, not the spray, and i paint that stuff on, in which, works great!

Oooh sorry to hear that happened. On the bright side, we now have a cautionary tale of what doesn't work with foam

As a suggestion, I use dry wall spackle from home depot to fill up cracks. It's light hardens quickly and sands extremely easily. The only real downside is that it's not very flexible, but a layer of plastidip on top will hide cracks, breaks, etc.

The build looks great minus the mishap, curious has anyone ever tried silicon caulk? Its flexible when dry and has a fairly decent work time, once coated with your top should be able to paint on as well.

Well hello everyone. I'm officially back. after taking a while or so off from armor( I managed to edit a feature length film in that time) I got right back to work. I recently got off winter break, and it was fairly nice up here in Michigan( around high 30's to mid 40's ), and it provided just the right opportunity to get in the garage and do some work.

lets start with what is new.
1.new boots(the other is not pictured because the pics I took of them both came out bad.)
DSC08682.jpg

2.new forearms. They are a marked improvement over my last ones. File is by the Dawn under haven fanfilm.
DSC08683.jpg

DSC08684.jpg

3.A new thigh has been constructed to replace the ruined one. not much changed other than that.
DSC08686.jpg

DSC08687.jpg

4. two new grenadeer knees to replace the ruined ones. I doo need to adjust them like my previous ones so they are still not complete, but they are very close.
DSC08692.jpg

5. the chest has received mod podge and plasti dip. they stomach gaurd has also been installed. the gaps still need to be filled and I still would like to improve the area around the neck( add a collar, fill in the holes that my neck does not cover).
DSC08688.jpg

now for the worded update.

1.sealing gaps and cracks
I recently tried to use drywall spackling on one of my boot toes. As suspected, it sands easily, but cracks upon flexing. I noticed that there is a type of spackling made by the same company (Dap) called vinyl spackling. It resists cracking and sands easy(this is written on the bucket) so I am tempted to try it. If that fails, I can always try the alex plus. the main reason that I avoided the alex plus before is because the trying time was apparently 7-14 days( I was on a deadline for the Halo:CEA release, not anymore). However, perhaps this is not always the case, I dont know, I have not tried it on any armor yet. I do know that the mod podge gets along with it well. The only learning cruve know would be to get it on smoothly. but I'll cross that bridge only If I have to.

2.other pieces that need to be assembled.
I have started on new biceps, no pictures yet; but the progress is so minimal it may have not happened yet anyway. I hope to have those done in the upcoming week. The shins are cut out, but have not been stated yet.

3.the under suit and strapping
I have purchased some things related to the undersuit and strapping. I have a wet suit from amazon which is skin tight( much like a zentai bodysuit). ther is a big zipper running down the middle and that simply will not do in my opinion. After looking at carpathiavh99's halo 3 build (here) I have decided that I want to do some leather under suit parts. I've never sewn anything before, so I will probably need to find someone I know who does, and I think I know just the person. Perhaps I can call in that favor she owes me( remember that feature length movie I edited?)

as for strapping the armor pieces together, I plan on sticking to my original diagrams, but I need some assistance on how to strap the belt. for starters, the belt is still in one piece, so that I can get it on and off easy. I am tossing around some I deas of how to attach the nylon webbing to the belt and under suit. does anyone have any wisdom to
offer on the matter?

that's about it. its nice to be back. I still have a way to go before I was back where I was, and even more before I'm done, but at least now I can take my time and do it right.

dang this is freakin amazing man =D fanastic job
keep up the great work and good luck
can't wait to see more progress

Awesome work so far. I plan on moving into my own reach build soon, using foam as my primary medium. Your work is very clean and crisp. Hope mine looks as good! Keep it up and can't wait to see some more.

Wow! It's been a while since I've been to this thread. It is very nice to see new progress on your build. Great Job Man...

thanks guys. I managed to fix up the shins just like my old ones. I know they look crooked in the pic but they are fine in real life, my skills in cosplay photography are clearly lacking.
photo1.jpg

I also tried the vynil drywall spackling. unfortunately it still behaves like regular spackling, cracks and all. haven't put any mod podge or plasti dip on it, but I feel the more I do that, the more detail is going to get rounder and organic looking and that is not something I want. thats more with the plasti dip though, so no more of that at this point. I am going to actually try the alex plus next. I know that it and mod podge sit well on top of each other.

other than that, I did not get to work much on the biceps because it is way too cold out to be able to get in my garage. Even though I really don't want to ; this project may have to take the backburner for a while until the weather gets nicer. Can't even work on the helmet anymore, because it needs paint, and it is way to cold for that. on the plus side though, I went though my shed and found serval pieces of mark VI armor that had been peped and resined god knows how long ago. they are all perfectly usable in their state. I may have found another project to keep me occupied in the meanwhile. but that's not really related so I won't go on about it.

thanks for reading, might not see much more progress for a while.

helmet is painted. Still needs a black wash, padding, and a visor. still learning how to black wash.
IMG_3580.jpg

new biceps are completed. they look nice.
IMG_3577.jpg

I've been using a combination of Alex plus and drywall spackling to seal gaps and cracks. It works out pretty good. watered down Alex plus also works to initially seal the foam for paint. I might even give up on the mod podge. Been working hard, shins are next and then I'll be back to full speed. hopefully the weather will break again so I can get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back